Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verado 275 - 400hp ??

Has anybody heard if Mercury Racing are hotting these Verado engines up to 400hp??
    Are they actually capable of this with the 2.6L supercharged engine??
    Trying to work out if the rumors are true.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I haven't heard the rumors, but the horsepower to displacement ratio is beleivable. There are exotic cars as well as modified rice rockets that have those kind of ratios and are dependable.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verado 275

I did see something about "Project X" being tested to 400HP although talking to the UK's Mercury importer (E.P. Barrus) at the weekend, his view was that they are more likely to develop the concept down the range before making them even more powerful.

On the other hand, as Yamaha now have a 300 HPDI non-racing engine, I would be surprised if Mercury didn't bring out a 300 before long. I am not connected to boating, other than as a hobby and I am between boats at the moment but I am hoping that a more powerful Vorado will become available before my next boat is built - an 8.5 metre RIB (hopefully by next season).

We haven't seen a Verado in the UK yet (as you've got them all in the US!) but the technology sounds great! Do they really have the acceleration from rest of a modern 2-stroke? I
    Are they anywhere near as quiet as the advertising blurb would have us believe?

If your answers are "yes" and "yes", it would be difficult to chose anything else!

Minty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

verado.. my boss drove one this week

My boss was @ the mercury meatings this week in fondulac... they went to the lake to drive a verado... 6 guys in a 21 foot lund boat.. on plane in 35 feet.. crack the throttle.. Instant responce.. & you can talk next to the motor @ WOT, & hear the prop wisper thru the water..... But It needs a DIET.. put my arms around one in school a few weeks ago.. I can't even touch the back side of the cowl!!! BUT its COOL.... rumor mil.. up here in merc land is over 400 hp.. & living....
    Last edited by 2springers26; 06-10-2004 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder what kind of power they put out without the boost. We use 40% as a reliable HP increase in automobile engines and still keep the reliability, so if we applied that here 300 hp x .40 = 420 hp. Doubt these can put out 300 on just engine so I would imagine that it is possible to get 400 but, I think reliability would be greatly sacrificed. They would probably have to run the boost pretty high to get those numbers and head gaskets would probably be an every other week deal. Not saying this as a nay or yea just thinking out loud............Bobo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem is will you have to mortgage your house again if it grenades? Well, I suppose to those running 400hp out of them will not care about money so much anyway.

Does anyone know how they are setup, is it cammed for high rpm and the blower makes up on the bottom...or the other way around/etc?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

imho, this big version can put out 400+ 93 pump gas only last a long time, relative to the high perf 2 strokes that is...
    How many hours do you think the rings will last in a 400 horsepower version? It would seem ring & bore wear would be greatly accelerated when you crank up the boost. 100 hours? 150? Anyone?
    Any fool can make something complicated - it takes a genius to make it simple.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well

1sadstream.....thanks again for your expert opinion,based on what????how many supercharged cars/boats do you have????sorry if we're boring you--i think msm brings up a good point...you don't even know how long it will live in stock form-much less with the boost cranked up
    i love mercs---they taste like chicken

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    One of my best friends has an F40 that I've spent a lot of track time in. It has close to 10K miles on it, mostly at Ferrari club track events. It has had one timing belt change only because it was Ferrari's scheduled maintainance, but other than that and oil change it's never had the decklid up. (except when I messed with it a little with a few aftermarket parts ) It's BIG power from a little motor and it has over 20 lbs boost. When we went to the Ferrari factory in the early 90's we were given hot laps at the company test track by a driver who does nothing but that daily. He'd logged over 60K miles in that car on that track and said the motor had never been down. I don't have any reason to believe that IF the Verado is properly engineered, which only time will tell, that it can't have that kind of power output and be durable. Whether they can make it hgh horse, durable, and idiot proof alltogether remains to be seen.

NoRevs, I thought y'all Florida boyz kinda stuck together. Seems like you're bein' kinda hard on wunna yo' own.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A race version of the Verado is under development. The word from Mercury is that it will push some serious horsepower.

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a little research for you guys. I looked at a recent Mercury Racing Consumer & Race Sterndrives brochure. Merc offers two supercharged engines that I think can be considered state-of-the-art for 4-stroke marine applications. One engine is the HP575 SCI. It's rated at 575 horsepower and it displaces 8.2 litres, or 70 horsepower per litre. The other super charged offering is the HP900 SC. It's rated at 900 horsepower and it displaces 8.9 litres, or 101 horsepower per litre.

If you do the math, the 400 horsepower Verado would have to achieve 154 horsepower per litre. The current Verado, at 275 horsepower, is already at 106 horsepower per litre.

So, to answer nzskiracer's original question, it would seem unlikely that Mercury Racing would/could make such an offering with any kind of confidence or warranty. Time will tell....or maybe jimmyb will
    Any fool can make something complicated - it takes a genius to make it simple.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how many hours does a Mercuriser 1075 last when run wide open?

Or a Ferrari F40 if they took it to Nardo (8 mile banked track) and held it WFO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YOU GUYS PLAYING RUFF' TODAY. I THINK THE ARGUMENT CAN BE MADE PRO/CON AT THIS TIME. THE BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CAR ENGINES IN CARS AND CAR ENGINES IN BOATS IS THAT IN BOATS YOU IS ALWAYS GOING UPHILL PULLING A LOAD. IN A CAR YOU CAN RUN BOOST UPWARDS OF 20 PSI BUT NOT SUSTAINED FOR HOURS AT A TIME AS WOULD BE ON A 60-80 MILE OFFSHORE WOT RUN IN A BOAT. I DON'T THINK YOU WILL HARM THE ROTATING ASSEMBLY AS USUALLY ONLY RPM DESTROYS ROTATERS NOT BOOST. I STILL THINK THERE WILL BE CYLINDER HEAD/GASKET ISSUES. RACEMAN, I THINK YOU ARE DEAD ON THE MONEY WITH THE F40, BUT THAT IS USING SMALLER BORES THAN WHAT WE HAVE HERE AND THAT TRANSLATES TO A SMALLER COEFFECIENT OF CYLINDER COMBUSTION PRESSURE. AND IF THEY START MAKING BOAT MOTORS IDIOT PROOF, ALOT OF US ON THIS BOARD WILL LOOKING FOR WORK............BOBO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

400 hp

i don't doubt for a minute that you can get 400 hp out of the new verado..........i am waiting to see a supercharged engine live in a "marine" environment.....as tight as the clearances have to be ,it just seems like salt air will eat em up.......don't know just gotta see it....as far as bashing the verado-i'm not-i am impressed with the engineering.....show me that it will live and i will be even more impressed....hell-it hasn't even been released yet so this is all speculation......1sad stream--the reason you catch a lot of sh!t from the fla guys is that you are always mouthing off about something even if you don't know anything about it....read your response to msm earlier...wtf??your arrogance is irritating.....as far as my slomc--bring whatever you got that floats--- anytime mercboy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

f yourself

you are comparing car motors to boat motors(and by the way-some of the ones you mentioned are turbo charged not super charged) not really a very good comparison....and yes i think it is arrogant when you start off your post with a yawn!!!! and i also think you are contradicting yourself cause you can't really compare the verado to anything.........it's all new technology.....and raceman--i don't doubt the ferrari story either but its totally different like barry said....up shifting,down shifting etc...run that same ferrari up a 15 degree incline for 4-5 hours at wfo and see how it does.......ya'll are comparing apples to tomatos--thats all i'm saying....i hope it makes 600 hp and lives for ten years---but only time will tell.........i'm done

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast