Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Serious Boat Accident Tonight - Long Island Great South Bay. was a crash not an acci

Bad Crash for sure. Truely, I'm glad everybody is going to be ok.

Think about this though..... Pic 008 clearly shows how rotton the floor was.... look at all the black under the glass and take it down from there and look at pic
    009... more black and thus rot and you don't need a meter or sounding hammer to tell you that. I'm sorry but this was no accident but just pure stupidity and/or
    ignorance on behalf of the boat owner.To run a 27 year old rig over powered with a rotton core what would you expect? This is a crash not an accident!!!!!!!!
    Avoidable, stupidy, irresponsible, yes, but not an accident!!!!!!!! The owner/insurance company will be lucky if they don't get their butts sued to the max.

Bottom line is if your going to play be as safe as you can and take the necessary precautions to make it as safe as possible.We all know when you run those speeds
    you assume risks. Alway, check your rig and equipment, wear a life jacket and teather plus, a helmet if your really pushing the envelope and don't put others at
    unnecessary risk! Run alone if your going to push it all the way. We should learn from this crash because it should not have happened. It was just pure human
    stupidity. This is reality and my thoughts as the irresponsible ruin it for the rest of us, like it or not. Someday, the Gov't will put restrictions on our fun if we don't act
    responsible.It always is the few irresponsible people that ruin it for the rest of us.

Be smart, be carefull, be safe, check your rigs. If it is an accident make sure it is that and not your stupidity.
    I know some won't like my thoughts but think about it????? Be responsible or we will loose or waterway freedom.

Chris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE PICS.LETS SEE EM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Chris why don't you keep your 9 posts and comments to yourself.

You have the balls to say this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It was just pure human stupidity...

I only have one thing to say to u!!

Shut Your Mouth because i don't want to hear from u again about this topic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down ctmotors

I would agree that running a boat of this age at those speeds is pushing the envelope and to run them with a passenger is not the best thing to do but remember one thing,this type of (ACCIDENT) is not verey common.Yes the older boats can and do delam, but I seriously doubt that the owner/driver of this boat thought that this would happen.Thus calling them Stupid and Ignorant would in my eye not be the best choice of words in this situation.I think that you need to better deal with your emotions.I hate to see bad things like this happen as much as you but being a Prick about it wont change the facts of the matter.There are many people who are good freinds to this gentelman and for you to say those things about him is wrong.I've made comments like those in the past on this forum and in hindsite I regreted them deeply.Your insesitivity might haunt you around here.I think you just should have used a different way of making your point.Dont take my comment of you beeing a Prick to personal.I just want you to see how it feels....Rob Lankford
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The driver of this boat is a personal friend of mine, and has been operating high performance boats for quite some time.

He (like most people) was not aware of things like balsa saturation, etc. Because of this accident, I am going to do some extensiuve research on this topic and put together a feature article to educate boaters on what causes this type of failure, and how to properly inspect your hull to prevent it.

I am also going to invite the driver on to the forums to tell us all what happened in his own words.

This crash was an accident, and it's a sad truth that most boaters simply do not know the facts about what can happen. Think about it - how many boating publications have educated the public about this sort of thing? We all know about piston detonation, stress cracks, and welded engine blocks, but why can't fiberglass hull inspection be part of "educated norm"?

I've been preaching this to people for many years, but few want to listen. I've seen this sort of failure many times, and it won't just happen to an old Hydrostream. An improper repair to a NEW boat could result in the same failure.

Here is a closeup photo of the saturated and fractured balsa.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 012.jpg  

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greg i am very sorry for this

HOT SHOT MERC,
    BUT HE IS A PRICK..... HOW DO U JUST COME OFF SAYING THAT!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts

Well ctmotors .......... I like Greg can see what you are trying to say ......... just need to make it not so arrogant !!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you meant no real harm in you comments ???
    I agree that we need more education about hulls to the go-fast "joe-boater" ........... far to much of these types of hulls are running around .
    On another note .......... " how many times a week do you check the torque on you lug nuts that hold you wheels/tires from coming off " . Sometimes **** happens before you know it ....
    I hope that you ( ctmotors ) will respond to this and hope the S&F public will let you redeem your self.

Jeff Williamson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Scream And Fly
    Because of this accident, I am going to do some extensiuve research on this topic and put together a feature article to educate boaters on what causes this type of failure, and how to properly inspect your hull to prevent it.
    Greg, I was just thinking of starting a thread with this exact topic (before I saw that you were planning a feature) as I am really curious of the cause and prevention of such things. I understand how the tansome can become saturated because of the necessary holes, but the hull core should be sealed unless something actually penetrates it, right? What about some of the high tech laminate boys (like Progression, Allison, Triad, and/or Douglas Marine, etc.) do their building methods prevent such problems? Very interesting subject, especially for this forum as most of the fast OB hulls are older...
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"But, He's a friend of mine!"

The sad thing is that even best friends do dumb things...... and in some cases should be embarassed.

I don't know the individual who ran that boat..... but a trained eye should have seen the disaster potential...... and anyone without a trained eye shouldn't be running a boat at ballistic speeds.

I was driving down the Garden State Parkway last year when a guy on a Japanese motorcycle went buy me doing a wheelie...at close to 100 mph. He was up on one wheel from the time I picked him up in my rear view mirror,......until he passed out of sight ahead of me....My response--- "What an A** hole."

Later I learned that he had just set a record the night before at over 130 mph on his rear wheel at a local drag strip..... My response --- "What an A**hole". The guy who told me about him said...."That guy is a friend of mine!"....

My response........

"Tell that A**hole to grow up."

T2x.........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Scream And Fly
    He (like most people) was not aware of things like balsa saturation, etc.
    That is a perfect example of ignorance. But maybe not stupidity. Although rigging a Viper with a V6 and giving 95mph rides certainly smells like stupidity.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chris, well put. I totaly agree with you on that for sure. Cause I'm like 16 right now, and later on in life i wanna be able to run my rig at super fast speeds, but if we, or like Chris said, "it's the few people that ruin it for the rest of us", then he's right, we'll all be screwed by the Gov't, with even tighter rules and regulations. I mean there are probly quite a few guys out there that have more $$$ than brains, and think that they can have the most expensive and fastest boat on the water, but then with that comes stupidity, cause when they come across another boat on the water that seems just as fast as they are, the other guy thinks he has to beat him in speed and **** like that.............then comes the crashes and accidents.

Lets try and use our noggins to be safe and still have just as much fun, instead of being not as safe and having to go to the hospital or even worse send lots of other innocent people to the hospital, or maybe even death.
    Wanna Play?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ctmerc

1ST your post is Fu*kd up!

2ND the driver didnt mean to do it! its a mistake no ones perfect! i doubt the guy is proud of it!

3rd you know what your critizising the driver does... JACK ****!!

4th REFRAIN YOUR OPINION RIGHT NOW!! IT'S JUST DISRESPECTFUL!
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, a v-6 on a 15 foot boat, just spells disaster, what inthe hell was the guy thinking, as it cleary says the maximum hp ratings for that boat on a plate. i mean if you can't read the maximum hp ratings......maybe you should go and get yur eyes check, cuz that kind of **** can and will kill you!!
    Wanna Play?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Bottom line:Safty first. Boat was rotton. It was not an accidect but a crash. Floor was black core was black. Ring any bells? Means rotton..... park the boat or recore it. Please, be accountable for your actions. Check your rigs. Overpowered? YA...... big time, Old YA, being a 77. Law suit likely: is this rocket sience??????? Smarten up or we will have speed limits on all the waterways. Irresponsible, situation........... end of story. Sorry for the victoms which could have been one of us if we are irresponsible. Think about it???? I know it is not what you want to know but reality.The more we read about these incidents the sooner we loose our freedom. I know you won't like this, but wake up or loose it. Anybody that runs those speeds should know their hull.
    This kind media ruins it for all of us.
    Negative emails: Look in the mirror and blame yourself when we have speed limits imposed on the water ways.
    Progression 22

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One must check his hull for spots like this. Lets put in example Ronnie here. Look at his boat, I wonder how many times this man has gone over his boat, he knows what the hell is he doing. If he spotted something wrong I'm sure he'd bust his ass to fix it before the next run. This incident probably could have been avoided if the driver had taken his time and gone over everything. So to call this an accident is a bit of an understatement!
    Chris@Spd-Kilz.com
    www.Spd-Kilz.com
    Come check out my website today

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast