Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Best Cruising Speed?

I know that this may not be a huge concern to most of you guys, but I boat on a lake that run over 40miles from one end to the other (Tablerock Lake, in Southern MO) . None of the marina's carry any pump gas over 89octane so making the most out of my 93 octane is important. My Vegas has a 20 gallon tank, and I can burn through that in a few hours when running pretty hard. It stinks having to pull the boat out of the water just to drive to a gas station and then put the boat back in the water.

If I'm just cruising down the lake, what is the most fuel efficient speed? I know that with a big I/O ski boat, usually a good cruising speed to just fast enough to keep the boat on plane so you're not lugging the motor (2530mpg).

But with a semi-surfacing setup (27" SRX, 1" below pad, 10" setback) on a Vegas XT with a 200hp 2-stroke, I'm sure it's a different story.

Is it more fuel efficient to run pretty fast (50-60) so that most of the boat is out of the water and it's riding mostly on the pad?
    (less load, but higher rpms)

Or is it better to cruise at slower speeds were the boat is planned off, but you're really pushing through the water (30-40)
    (more engine load, lower rpms)

Thanks for the info guys.
    Ian

...boatless for now.

WASHINGTON N.C.. I TOO HAVE A BOATING PROBLEM
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good one,

I'd like to know that too.

I have noticed that with my Vector, (over the winter, when its cold) that when I cruise between 50-60 I can make 6 Gals. last the whole day, (but I sit alot more).

In the summer, when I run more, and faster, (and race other boats), that I go through 18 Gals. every day.

I also have to slow down when I meet big wakes, and get back on the pad afterwards, (in the summer, and not in the winter), that burns up gas too.
    JOHN MASON
    '83/VECTOR/MERC 200-- SOLD
    '98 Quartershot T-3/ MERC 200

"If your not living on the edge, your taking up to much space"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The easiest way...

is to buy a fuel consumption meter.

If that doesn't suit your taste or budget you could look through a hundred bass and walleye articles on various boats...most seem to do their best around 2500-3500 rpms. I guess this is just past planning and not riding on the pad. Each boat is different and some don't seem to change much from semi-planing to full planing figures.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on a lot of factors (weight of boat and occupants, speed, motor, prop, etc). I have found mine to be more fuel efficient at 80-85mph than at slower speeds.

My tank is 28 gallons, of which I'm sure I never use the last few, usually put in 25 or less. I get around 65 miles out of that tank normally.

Last year, another buddy and I made a run from Willow Beach to Cottonwood Cove on Lake Mojave and ran 80-85 the whole way. It's a 33 mile trip and I burned 9 gallons of fuel.
    Keith-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

imq707s

Last year when I was staying at Randy's house. I went out on Table Rock with The Euro full of gas 28 gal. I ran from Randys cove to Cape Fair and back 105 miles on 20 gals of gas. and averaged 84 mph running a 30 Chopper. It was a perfect day out on the lake I was even running in the 90's at times. that is an average of 5.25 miles per gallon. not bad for a fishing motor. I been out there with Randy and spend the day on the lake and not burn through a tank of gas too. Ask Randy how long he could go on his Vegas. I don't think it will be a problem for you. Even if you had to put a lesser grade of fuel in it you can just take it easy on the motor or add some octane booster.

M Hurst
    1976 Hydrostream Vixen, 1976 75 Evinrude
    North Canton, Ohio

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hydrovector.......I was actually out with Randy a few weekend ago. We were trying to get some good running shots of each of our boats. That's when I went through about 15 gallons in an hour and a half.... .....I had to stop at some crappy marina and get some 83 octane for $2.60 a gallon

It was pretty funny, I was doing my damdest to keep my Vegas going straight at around 70mph, and Randy was right next to me in his ProComp with one hand on the wheel, and taking pictures with the other hand. I guess that just shows how much eaisier tunnels are to drive then a "pad" boat.

Do you think you are going to make it down to the lake sometime this year? I'd like to meet you and take a look at your Euro.

I think half of the problem is that the boat is still "new" to me and I just can't seem to keep my foot out of the gas. I'm trying to learn how to balance it up on the pad, and the only way I can do that is to go fast.

Thanks again
    Ian

...boatless for now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Table Rock

We hope to make it down some time but I don't know when. See Randy and Annie are holding our Daughter captive so just to see her we have to come down.

M Hurst
    North Canton, Ohio

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Yep, I've met Candice (did I spell that right). She seems very nice. It was pretty funny when she hopped in the drivers seat of Randys Pro Comp. They blew by me like I was standing still, and I was running 70

But you didn't hear that from me
    Ian

...boatless for now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best economy seems to be running at 5000 rpm and 70 mph 30pitch

The economy diminishes rapidly when waterwings pulls along side and grins!
    Last edited by RUNWME; 04-15-2004 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think faster is more efficient...

for me anyway. Like Keith said, I feel that I am more efficient when I run 75-85. It seems to uses alot less fuel than cruising slow at around 45-55. The only thing is that at those speed you get places really quickly and you are actually driving for less time. Oh well, I bought the boat to go fast......

I haven't had the chance to meet your daughter yet Mike. She sounds like a very nice girl though. All of the girls I know say "eww, your boat is too loud and windy..."
    Adam
    1998 STV Euro - Mariner 2.5Efi 260

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to run my old vegas XT in the salt from time to time and with only 20 gallong tank I had to watch to see how far I could go. Never really sceintific, but I aways felt it was most efficient around 50-60 mph, just when it is begins to air out, all the sponsons in the water drag it down any slower and at that speed the motor isn't really working all that hard, just my .02 hope it helps
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EFFICIENCY

I have a Floscan meter and a Garmin 168 sounder on my XS2003.
    When I am going for a long cruise [frequently], I can adjust the throttle,trim and jackplate while monitoring the Floscan meter.
    With a light load, the best MPG is at 5k [6 mpg@63 mph gps].
    When I have a boatload my best mpg is at 45 mph. WOT gives me 4.3 mpg@95 mph gps. The Floscan also has a Totalizer which is better than a fuel quanity gauge. I think the Flowscan cost less than $400.00
    You can also carry a portable 6 gallon fuel of 93 to mix with a tank of 87 to help also.
    JR
    Last edited by JR IN JAX; 04-16-2004 at 02:00 PM.

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    “I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHY NOT CARRY SOME GOOD QUALITY OCTANE BOOSTER?I USED TO DO THIS ALL THE TIME WHEN I WOULD RUN MY HI-PERF SLEDS ON A TRAIL RIDE.I REALIZE THAT THIS STUFF IS HARD ON FUEL LINES BUT IT COULD SOLVE YOUR DILEMA.JUST A THOUGHT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard that octane booster doesn’t work very well. Someone once said that most of the stuff only increases your octane 1 point at the most. Any way to test octane to see if they really do work?

I guess it can't hurt to dump some in there if you're forced to run crappy gas.
    Ian

...boatless for now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

imq707s

Yep, I've met Candice (did I spell that right). She seems very nice. It was pretty funny when she hopped in the drivers seat of Randys Pro Comp. They blew by me like I was standing still, and I was running 70
    You got to know, my kids have grown up running fast in boats. **** they were in dipers behind the wheel. Well with me sitting with them. But there not scared of speed. "Oh dad taght them well." When Randy told me she jumped behind the wheel I wasn't suprised.
    Yep ,Candace!!!!

M Hurst
    North Canton, Ohio