Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butler? Who the hell is Mike Butler? Isn't he just some ole tech rep at Mercury?

Then again who the hell am I?
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by T2x
    MBD29 is Mike Butler.......... who is apparently still 29.

T2x
    Well I'll be d@mned! Mike Butler.

Mike has helped me a lot (helped me run up phone bills ), especially when I was just getting started racing 20+ years ago.

Good to see you here Mike.
    David
    L-6

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Schulze?

John, you do have a good memory. I'm still trying to figure out how anyone could blow over a Sid. You can't be all bad though with all those Mercs you have now.

I thought Gibb's boat was a Schulze too. I was talking to him and brought it up and he did say he ran one but when I sent him the picture he said no it was the Molinari you and Geoff ran in Paris with the Scotti Cowl. The guy on the dock is not Lou. John told me who it was but I didn't know the name.

Rich, the D29 is for a 1930 antique biplane I'm restoring and not my age. I'm probably a whole lot older than you but for sure not as old as John.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: John Gibbs

Originally posted by mbd29
    Looks like John Gibbs. He lives in Havasu now but worked for OMC and ran for T.A.R.T at that time.
    Wrong ! someone correct me if I am wrong but #6 was Art Kennedy
    Dan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the guy on the dock could be Lou Eppel?

I think Lou did sponser Art Kennedy?

Running the chute @ 3 Lakes Shootout.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BslLSXfz90I

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'ts JOHN GIBBS

The picture is John Gibbs not Art Kennedy. Also it is not Lou on the Dock. See my previous post.

I belive John Gibbs said the race was in Alton IL.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, but I still believe the boat is the Schulze that Jim Briggs bought. The Molinari didn't have anything painted on the rear port side deck. You can see something that was printed/painted on the deck under the plank that the holder is laying on. Again, it's not Art Kennedy who did drive some for T*A*R*T and was my co-driver in the 1972 Paris race. During that era when he drove for us his number was 24. Now to throw a curve to this tale, when the Schulze was first raced it was at the Dayton 225, maybe 1971 or 72 and Art was the driver, and he hated the boat. But I don't recall if he actually ran #24 or if it carried #6. Gibbs did run the Schulze after that until we got additional Sids & he took over Sid #1 prior to it going to Mike.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,

What additional help can I give? Or are you referring to John Gibbs?

John Schubert (TOO MANY JOHNS)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gibbs

I just talked to Gibbs about this last week. He seemed to have a pretty fresh memory about it but John Schubert was there too. I was the guy on the other side of the fence so am just giving info supplied to me as Gibbs is not a computer guy.

John Schubert I think the writing on the left side of the boat was ON. Gibbs pointed it out indicating that is why he said it was the Molinari and not the Schulze.

I have some shots of Art and Lou from this time frame with Art running a orange and blue Scotti with 30 on the cowl. I'll scan and post.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike,

You might just have cleared up the mystery. There was an ON on the rear deck as I have a picture of me from a bridge over the Seine that shows the ON, although the graphics are a bit different (the picture is in my apartment) not here in my office. And, I believe that our Schulze might have bee the colors you so stated.

Mike, you mentioned something about what power I had on the back of the boats and that I couldn't be all that bad as I have so many Mercurys now. Other then my tenure with OMC and of course driving for them, I've always beena Merc guy. Having grown up at a Mercury dealetrship rigging Wolverines & Aristo-Crafts with KG7's & KH7's at age 12 - 14, then having use of them to bfreak them in for the owners was a great way to grow up. I also was told by the owner, to go test his Morphew 3 point hydro with a KG7H out on Greenwood Lake and if I saw 52mph, then he would call his driver, who happened to be Dick O'Dea that we were all going to Rochester, NY to the divisionals. My dad wouldn't let me go, as I was only 12.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say was that Whelch, can't remeber his first name, but he was Garbrecht's assistant, and I talked at several races about me driving for the mercury team. He expressed his and Gary's interest however, they couldn't come up with an appropriate job, as they knew a test driver position wouldn't match where I was at. It actaully was at the same Dayton race I referred to earlier that we began our open dialoque re driving for merc. So close, but then again, I would never had had the career I had with OMC good or bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Schulze?

Originally posted by mbd29

Rich, the D29 is for a 1930 antique biplane I'm restoring and not my age. I'm probably a whole lot older than you but for sure not as old as John.
    Something for the Oshkosh fly in I presume?

Mike I'll bet I'm between you and John Schubert in age.... I was born in 47.... If I'm right you owe me a ride in the bi plane.

T2x

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking What if it's a single seater?

Originally posted by T2x
    If I'm right you owe me a ride in the bi plane.

T2x

A Pitts is a biplane... You up to some wing walking?

David
    L-6

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: MY GUESS:

Originally posted by Sherlock
    Art Kennedy, Lou Eppel and no one may believe this but it looks like the docks at Lake Hopatcong, back when the club first ran outboards with the inboards.

John
    Hey John I know that boat and it is 100% Art Kennedy I have a picture of Art buried deep in the archives in that same boat. Let me find the photo and I will put this one to rest. I stand firm and say its Art. You else had #6 ?? Didnt Art have it until he passed away ?
    Dan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Gibbs

Art may have driven that boat with the number 6 on it because he also ran for T.A.R.T. and they switched around alot. But that photo is not Art. I have talked to the person that is in that photo who remembers being in the boat at that time and even the race he was in.

I have pictures of Art driving a Scotti with the number 30 on it and we all know who number 30 was but others including Jimbo ran with 30 on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan,

I'm being stupid or naive again, but you seem to know so much about that racing era, but I don't know who you are. Would you mind i.d'ing yourself for my benefit.

Thanks,
    John

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast