Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Why not more outboards on large Vs

As I was looking at the new Verado Pics that Greg has so kindly made available to us, I got to thinking.

Large offshore V-s set up for fishing almost always have outboards, but most of the sport deck models are I/Os, why?

I know there are a couple exceptions (powerplay and most of the long island companies), but the mainstream big Vs, fountian, donzi, wellcraft all have outboards on their fishing decks but not the sport decks.

Any theories why

It also goes in reverse the other way, all of the big mainstream fishing boats, gradys, whalers, pursuits, etc and such don't offer very many I/Os, mainly just outboards.

I guess I just want to see more performance V-s with clamp ons, anyone else?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fountain2-hr.jpg  
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Very simple reason - outboard-powered boats have more aft interior room, which is crucial in a sport fishing boat. Also, outboard powerplants weigh less than stern drive units, meaning that dual outboard installations are much more suited to that application (redundancy - a good thing to have when you're 100 miles offshore) than twin stern drives.

Finally, outboard engines are very easily replaced, and many sport fisherman put a lot of hours on their rigs.

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks greg

That answers the fishing side, but why not more performance applications?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Yep

I don't think the O/B's give that crowd enough chrome to look at or make enough nooise
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

5. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In rough water applications, a stern drive will ALWAYS beat an outboard in the same class boat. No question.

The stern drive unit is more durable in severe conditions, it makes much more low end torque, it's reliable, and most of all, it distributes its weight much more favorably for that application.

If you take two of the same boats, one with twin outboards, and the other with a single stern drive - assuming both boats can achieve similar top speeds - the stern drive powered boat will clobber the outboard boat in the really rough stuff, while the outboard boat might have the advantage in the smooth water.

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Thanks again greg

But now you really got me thinking, especially the

"and most of all, it distributes its weight much more favorably for that application."

I will have to digest that one for a little while

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instigator hit the nail........my buddie has a 30 Velocity with twin 2.5s and built with a splashwell not a conversion....it is gorgeous....but, not an easy sell boat........the thunder of the big block chevy is what most people want.......

For me, I would go with the i/0 for a v sport boat......let me put it this way...inboard for anything 30 foot and over......sharkey on this board has an awsome 28 checkmate..........I think it runs 84 or so........funny story, he ran in a poker run in jersey last year....a bunch of big power inboard v-bottoms and combination cat inboards and outboard(outlimits/skater/spectres/fountains ect-1350 sterlings/eikerts/ect)..........a friend of mine watched the group leave the and go offshore....he then waited for them on the other side of the bay to return from the run......1st boat in was a big v-bottom inboard, as was boats 2, 3, and 4 then here comes Sharkey in his little eggbeater checkmate.......he stopped to talk to my buddie for 15 minutes......the next boat was not even in site........too funny

It also helps when you have an x-racer running a boat......
    TC

9. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple rule, when its rough and maximum torque is needed, there no replacement for displacement
    TC

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of them here for lake MI where they rule. Greg explained it perfectly.

In fact I've talked to a lot of people here that are just scared of large OBs because they can't work on them, and feel real comfortable with the car motor. I wondered if they were scared of their lawn mower motor too, but to each their own. I guess one might need some special tools/knowledge for OBs; but they talked like this was their primary reason to go I/O. Others like to mod the motors since they can't afford to drive a BBC to work anymore, and of course there is a lot of stuff available for the auto motors.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sho....that is another good point
    TC

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like the redundancy of two motors. I think with the low end power that Greg says these have they may give the car motors a run for thier money
    mendo
    MAD SCIENTIST

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of it is the limited power of outboards. Try moving a big V like an Apache and you need at least twin 750's, where can you find that power in outboards. Midnight Express runs 4 300's on their 39 and get good speed for a "fish boat", around 70, but not in the same league as the 100+ norm for the big V perf boats these days.

I've seen it referenced in boat tests a couple of times that the high power outboard boats take more driver seat time to handle than does the same boat at the same speed with an IO installation.

Personally, I'm looking to go to outboards from twin V-8's in large part because I'm tired of hanging upside down in the bilge to work on them.

-Greg

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Not Sure I agree on the torque superiority of the I/O's---

Couple of yrs ago ModVee and I had the chance to run his Baja 24/25 Oulaw w/a 500 HP w/my twin O/B 24' Sonic in Lake Erie.
    His motor was making 470 HP's at the prop from 8.3 liters.
    Mine were making a combined 484 at the props from a combined 6 liters (plus dragging a second case through the water).
    We went from about a 50 roll several times and I pulled him 4 or 5 boats every time and had 2/3 on him up top.
    I also ran a HTM 24' cat with the same power from about a 40 roll and did the exact same thing. So lack of torque?? You decide.
    Greg is correct on the rearward C. of G. but that's what tabs and trim is for.
    I can run slight up trim w/slight down tab and run the boat on the pad at mid 70's through 2' slop. I have yet to have an I/O stay beside me doing that.
    Sho makes a very valid point of the fear factor. All the car motor guys I know are afraid of two strokes only because they don't understand them.
    And then they hear a story about me sawing a block in half after running it lean (whiuch they don't understand)
    A bonus to O/B's is also the extra space you p/u. I've had arguements with I/O guys at dock when I tell them my boat is only 24' and they swear it's 30!
    They keep forgetting they lose 6' or so of cockpit space due to the motor.
    My cuddy and cockpit are as big or bigger than most 30' I/O's.
    trbochrg aslo makes a great point about size.
    I knew when I was buying my Sonic I could'nt afford to make anything beyond about 24/25' fast enough.
    It's tough to combat that much weight and drag with 2.5 or 3. liter O/B's.
    I think Sharkey's 28' Checkmate (and the 30' Velocity) is about the absolute limit for twin O/B's.
    As far as sound??
    Give me a pair of O/B's at 7K with open exhaust any day!
    One thing the I/O's can never do either is float the bow like a O/B
    I always screw with the I/O guys when I know they're watching or waiting on me. I'll start at the far end of the lake and try to blow the thing over while I run straight for them.
    Always good for a couple of comments.
    Yep, I think I'll keep my O/B's
    Last edited by Instigator; 02-20-2004 at 01:20 PM.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

16. Likes scott reierson liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good points Gregp

My Sonic is way harder to drive than my Hydrostream Vector is.
    it clearly is a drivers boat. I was talking with some one the other day about that in paticular.
    I said yeah my boat will do it but your not just standing behind the wheel enjoying the ride!!

Also on the ease of access for maintenance. Every time I'd start to think about a twin I/O 28/30 Vee I'd take one look in the bilge and run like hell!!!
    I've done all kinds of work to my O/B's in the middle of the lake.
    Try that with twin I/O's in a narrow Vee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, Instiagor, you mentioned the bilge compartment.....big big issue.....I can remember working on a 28 Checkmate with twin 540's.......it was unbearable to work on....I still have scars on my body from that thing......evertime we had to work on that thing I tired to talk the guy into selling the hull and putting his power in a 33 fountain or scarab........man, I hated that boat

The boat was pushing 620hp a side......it was a chine walking hobble bobbing experience, ran it to 88mph and decided I did not want to die today, the owner could only drive it to 80 and then back out.....yea, ob for that size more better...

Instigator, Ron Polli from Jersey used to have a boat just like yours, with caucasian motors on it too....I dont know if he still has it, but he loved it....great boat!
    TC

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast