Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Evinrude Porting

Lavey T or anybody else, do you have any porting templates or some good instructions on porting/finger porting for a 200 Evinrude. A buddy of mine stuck a piston this weekend and we are going to do some mods while its apart(I tried talking him into buying a merc but he likes his rude :-). Al Stoker is just up the road a little ways, but he wants to try to save the money for other mods if possible.

Thanks,

Bill
    20.8 Lavey Sebring, 2.5 260

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evinrude porting

Depending on what year the motor is it may be finger ported already, I dont know what years are. Proper porting will definately increase power, poor porting will kill an otherwise good motor. What hull is your pal running,light or heavy? What is he looking for? top end, holeshot or all around. I'm sure some of the more experienced OMC motor guys like Bill Gohr & AL Stoker could point you in the right direction. I have a 95 200 Venom w/ 300+ hrs. on it and its been great.
    Sean, 19 J-Craft ,225 Johnson
    If everything seems to be going well,you have obviously overlooked something

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rude

The hull is a 21' Shiada River Tunnel. I believe the motor is either a 93 or a 94 because that is the year of the hull but I am not sure. The hull is very stout and a little heavier than normal, but it is stepped and seems to run pretty efficient. I belive it got about 20 inches of setback and he runs a 23" 4 blade through hub at about 6200 rpm. I could be off a few on the rpm.

I know he doesn't want to lose too much bottom end, but is hoping to increase the top end dramaticaly. He said he is willing to do pretty much any modification needed to get as much hp as possible, but still run pump gas.

Bill

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up couple of tips

According to my notes '93 and up already have finger ports.
    Have him find a set of 225 carbs (just sold my last set) and widen his exhaust ports to 225 HO specs (I have a template I can send you) then port the block to match the port "windows" in the sleeves. (he is just matching the openings, not moving anything)
    Stoker says to fill the exhaust bleed port which is the small approx. 1/8" dia hole just above the main exhst port window in the sleeve with Marine Tex type epoxy and that this helps more than cutting the heads.
    If he does this have him jet as well. My '99 250 Ocean Pros (same as a 225HO) ran #74D's.
    Not sure where his rev limiter is but this motor should now pull mid/high 6K RPM's and make 250 HP's at the prop. Stock HO's were 242.
    He will have a big ass smile on his face when he is done.
    If you get a reply from "Racer", pay attention he knows his ****!!
    P.S. If he is that close to Stokers shop, I'd think again???
    The guy is one of the best on JohnRudes!!
    Good luck and let me know if you want the port patterns.
    Instigator
    Last edited by Instigator; 10-02-2001 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Porting

Man, If Stoker was "just up the street" From me I would be there in a heartbeat!Money spent with the king of ModVPOMC is well spent.he could probably help almost as much with setup tips as the porting would do!Al knows more about my Lavey than Laveycraft does.He even had some input on the design of the 20'2".I have a Powerboat magazine test on the Shiada modvp around here some where.It was a pretty stout preformer for a V-Hull builder.(Did you help on this one Al?).
    Tell your freind to be humble,and ask the greatones advice!
    P.S. Dewey,Have you made any progress with the setup yet?E-mail me and let me know.Its all in the lowerunit with these boats.
    see ya,Dave
    L.T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    93 and newer already have finger ports and if its a 93,94 limited edition 200 it has the 225 carbs. Be careful with using jet advice from different year engines as omc had several different carbs and air box systems thru the 90`s and they all jet different. Find out a little more about the engine or get a model number.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Bob's Rude

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try to get the exact year and model #. I know my buddy (Bobby Joe) has spoken with Al Stoker already and he was very impressed. He is a tinkerer at heart and loves doing things himself.

Instigator, it would be really cool to get the templates for edumacational purposes if nothing else, but I will try to talk him into having Al whack the motor out. Can you e-mail them? If not You can fax them to Bill White, (858)492-5089. It would have to have my name on it becasue it is a shared fax.

Lavey T, I finally found a decent top end prop. I was able to get 80 mph with a 25" Tempest. I am still going to try a few others because the choppers seemed to be the best accelerating of all of them. During the off season I'm going to try raising my engine height a little too and see what that does. I havn't been able to locate a stock lower unit, but if I continue to do little mods which slowly get me closer to 85mph, the sportmaster may begin to pay off.

C-ya,

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Cool

Dewey,Glad to hear you are having some success! It can be frustrating when they dont run like they should.I have not heared from any one with a stock 260 doing any better on that hull than yours.Im gonna go with a remote waterpickup and raise the motor to the same altitude and use the same prop as I did with a Bobs.Should have some REAL comparison numbers then.Im not sure how fast a stock lower can be run without blowout,But I want to find out.
    L.T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RED/WHITE XTB ALLISON
    WARMED OVER BRIDGEPORT EFI or little 2.0 depending on use

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rude Porting

Lavey T, let me know how it works raising the motor. I'm an inch below the keel with the jack all of the way up and the engine mount in the center hole. I want to move the engine to the lowest hole which will get me 1/2" above the keel jacked all of the way up. One concern I have is the strngth of the engine mount/clamp. Thw way my setback bracket is fabricated if I move the the engine to the lowest hole, there wont be any suppor on the top of the clamp/mount. Is this soemthing to worry about? Is it okay as long as the mounting holes have backing?

I got a little more info on the motor and I was way off on the year. The motor is an '89 200 model# E200STLCEB (the B may be a D, it was hard to read). Goin by this info it isn't finger ported.

Instigator, I am still interested in the porting templates you have if its not too much of a pain in the ass.

Thanks,

Bill

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Bill

NO PROBLEM!
    I will try and get it to you by the weekend. Need to make you a better copy of what I have.
    Your buddy will laugh, this 30 min port change and 225 carbs and he's there!
    Still not what Stoker would do though.
    I am also the same as him, like doing myself!!!
    Problem is, with a two stroke its all about porting. If you don't
    know where or how much-------it's a paper weight!!
    P.S. Remind me if if you don't get the templates in a couple days, my memory aint so good.
    Instigator

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bill,
    That is a 200xp and the exhaust port is similar to the current 225 ho as are the venturie of the carbs. The main difference as far as power is concerned is the finger ports and difference in the cyl. heads. The exhaust relief hole is larger on the 200xp as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Dewey/Racer

As far as the clamp bracket goes I have not seen any busted ones yet.I have seen um up to the last holes hangin in the breeze
    and Ive seen pepole use the exposed top holes for support.They ran bars up to the front of the splash well.I think most of this was done for the transom not the clamp bracket.Now that Ive got the Lavey up in the air I suspect im putting way more (I know) stress on the transom.Im going to tie the transom to the front of the knees/ski pole mount this winter.

Racer,Ive been thinking of useing a Stainless marine pickup and mounting it on the transom.My centerpod and sponsons are both notched so I would have to get a pickup with a 90 in it.Where would you suggest I mount it,center or sponson?This may be a temporary deal depending on results but, is there any reason that I couldnot use the hose flush attachment fitting for this purpose?You mentioned one time you had experimented with stock lowers/blowout before.How fast have you gotten a stock lowerunit to before blowout?Thanx in advance for your reply,Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails love.jpg  
    Last edited by LaveyT; 10-06-2001 at 08:25 AM.
    L.T.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Hey Bill

Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the template.
    I tried doing it through this forum but I can't figure out how to do an attachment??
    I'll try sending it as an attachment with this.
    Wow, it worked!!
    Guess I'm a pretty fart smeller after all??
    This was the best I could get after tracing the port window ten times!!
    This is from the deck surface down on a stock 1999 250 V-6 Ocean Pro which is supposed to be the same as the HO motors. Instigator
    Last edited by Instigator; 10-06-2001 at 09:20 AM.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II