Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fine take offense You werent the only one to say PSD was 466... and I do take offense to being told to F off when I was making a point to ensure correct information...

Your offended cause you were wrong fine... call me an a$$**** I dont care

we will both get over it.

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dodge, GM, Ford diesel

With working in the automotve field for the past 30 years,I've seen most of the crap that has come out and what works and does'nt.Myfeeling is if you want a truck to work and don't mind noise,get the Dodge.Why do you think that no major engine manufacturer (Caterpillar, Cummins,Detroit Diesel,Mercedes-Benz & Volkswagen) don't build a V8 Diesel.Because they don't work,except for toy trucks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cat and Detroit don't build V8 diesels? 3208,3408,8V53,8V71,8V92
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this may sound weird but every v series in detroit with more cyl than 8 and more diplacement than 92series is actually 2 engine's bolted toghter, by that i mean blocks are bolted together, cranks, and blowers. they start as 8v92. i have put these engine's together. they also make a 24v71 and 16v71, and both are bolted together.

i'm sure like cdave said, most do make v conviguration's. they start at about 230hp to 10,000hp in v configuration.

some say IL are more durable.
    Craig Creppel

DR-20 TRIAD
    ALLISON XB 2002

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mercedes does build V8 diesels for use in Europe. The last I saw from them, they were making 550 h.p.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy Chit

Mercedes does build V8 diesels for use in Europe. The last I saw from them, they were making 550 h.p.
    Holy Chit Man F*** all the GM and Ford iam buying one of those

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    better buy a dodge then.... DIAMLER CHRYSLER..... DIAMLER IS MERCEDES BENZ!!!!!!!

Caterpillar builds about 12 different models and variation of V8 engines along with V12 V16 V18 V24 Detroit makes V6, V8 V12 V16 V24 and Cummins also builds V6 V8 V12 V16 V18 V24.... along with their Inline models..... Inline are more torque efficient because of their longer cranks but the V configuration makes engines a little more compact to fit in more locations.

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy

Never owned a Chevy diesel. Have owned several Dodge Cummins and Ford Powerstrokes. Both Dodge and Ford have been very good trucks. Mileage is very little difference....has gotten worse over the years to meet newer emissions standards; but compared to gas trucks with similar power mileage is excellent.

The Ford makes more power stock.....the Dodge can be modified to produce ridiculus amounts of power and I have done it to both. The both lived without problems after I rebuilt the Dodge automatic as part of the overall upgrade.

Stock the new Ford (2005) will pull much better than the new Dodge (2005) and I have not modified either of them. With the Ford I have pulled a 14.5K trailer and with the Dodge I have pulled a 10.5K trailer. The Ford pulled the heavier trailer better that the Dodge pulled the lighter trailer (both automatics). If I was only buying one truck today it would be the Ford diesel due to what I believe is a much better transmission. The Dodge needs another gear.

I love diesel trucks and all three manuafactures probably make very good trucks today.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynecsmith2003
    I love diesel trucks and all three manuafactures probably make very good trucks today.

true but the Chevy's are U G L Y especially the new ones....

dodges look great lifted and ford needs front end leveled above weed wacker height. as for new PSD making more power, maybe and only because it has longer legs, and it can rev a little more

remember football practice when you were pushing the sled around.. the faster you could chop your feet the faster it moved regardless how many coaches stood on the skid... same idea more RPM band the easier the engine works to move heavier loads...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my buddies got a duramax he pulls a 28ft enclosed racecar trailer full of car tools and spare parts. has no problems and get exlent milage. his brother has a powerstroke and gets far less milage pulling same size trailer and has had nothing but problems. also have a buddie that just got rid of his dodge for a chevy his dodge was putting out over 500hp to the rear wheels and pulls horses around the country only problem he had w/it was snaping a input shaft to the tranny but he was trying out a new nitrious system/twin turbo when he did that. his new duramax is puttin 500 to the rears and no problems and he hasnt touched the turbo or the bottle with that one yet. I like the duramax and i have driven them all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im sorry you can t even compare a powerstroke or a duramax to a cummins! cummins is the only true diesel truck motor. I pulled the head on one the other day with 300,000 miles on it and could barley tell a piston had been going up and down the cylinder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mercmatt just wait 500 hp out of a duramax..... not without changing injector or turbo.... 150hp nitrus gives only about 40 hp in deisel engines but anyway... them cylinderheads wont last anytime 2 different metals of differing heat expansion rates are used in that high pressure high heat environment they dont last...he may have power now but it wont last long... cummins have a Great engine and it is DESIGNED to run 500,000 miles not 50,000 like the duramax.. 300,000 miles is just the breaking in good point of a dodge engine. it still has LOTS to run. the old 7.3 navistar ford used is the same way.. not as efective as the cummins but designed for 350-500,000 miles... THE ORGINAL 6.6 L INLINE 6 Isusu built to test BEFORE the V8 duramax came out Was the same way... ASA MATTER OF FACT LinkBilt and Sumotomo excavators use that engine to run Hydroic motors fo hrs on end W/O any problems BUT GM "had" to have a v8.... (the inline 6 twisted their frames)... the isusu engine HAS potentia just not with the GM heads.... puty a set of cast heads on it and then big power would last longer simply because of similar expansion of meterials.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aluminum heads

I think everyone is overreacting on the aluminum head debate. It's mighty funny ford has gone that route and cummins is to in the next 5.9(codename dakota) I agree that the cummins is a all around tougher motor but due to the rest of the package I'll stick with the duramax(probably 780+ hp everyday) I'm sure someone on here knows the calculation for it. It weighs 6850 lbs and turns a 11.90 at 114.5. By the way this truck is a farm truck and works everyday. It is not a stripped drag truck as are most that compete. And as for aluminum heads dragsters that make 5000 hp have them and do just fine. I'll agree that gm was plagued with some defects(computer refinements, injector cup seals, and tierod ends to top the list. With all this said Ill still stick with gm if for no other reason that trade in value. If you trade every year or two You'll realize how much better off you'd be with the gm. If you are going to drive it till it falls in the road and not trade, I'd get the dodge for cheaper maintenance.(you can rebuild a 5.9 for less than 1100, the chevy and the ford wouldn't hardly give you the pistons for that. Sorry for the rambling. And I agree with above, they all make a great truck compared to 5 years ago.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    easy way to know POWER of engine... most chassei(sp) dyno places only charge 35 bucks or so to do a run... just pay for it... I thought I was making 350-360 with my PSD BUT the numbers dont lie I was PUTTING 326.9 out wheels and 660FT lbs out of an old 215hp (orginal) PSD so IMO It isnt doing to bad... and it runs 1aroung 15 in quarter. BUT I think there are alot of over exagurated HP ## in the diesel industry granted the torque is there BUT the mathmatics dont always add up to BIG HP. remember HP is Torque X RPM / 5252 in an engine that only turns 3400 RPM it is HARD to get HP ## above 500 UNLESS their torque curves get into upper RPM ranges of the engines.for example... say you have Cummins with 1000 ftlbs. @ 2000RPM and a 3200 RPM redline has 875 ft lbs 875X3200 =2800000 / 5252 Equals Only 533HP... and there ARENT that many engines with 500 hp out htere in p/u so micheal you DONT have 780 hp... 780 ftlbs MAYBE...tyhere is a difference... Torque and RPM make HP not torque alone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking hp

I was actually being conservative for this post, It probably has 825+. There is a formula that gives an estimate for weight and speed in the quater. I know I have a 502/ 502 crate motor in a truck that only weighs 5000 lbs and it wont break out of the 13's. A viper has 500+ hp and weighs half what I do and you really don't think I have a great increase in hp over him? I've run several and they don't like it. I ran one of the new viper trucks with the same hp as the viper also and outran him by 2 secs. I'm no exception there are 6 trucks( gm) in the US that run sub 12's that are everyday work trucks. As far as ford and dodges,I still have 6 on the farm...the reason is that I couldn't get a reasonable price for them at trade in ...hence gm is what I drive. As far as torque, I can promise you its above 1100. I haven't dynoed mine but I have a similiar setup as some others that have. (www.dieselplace.com) I don't think you realize what it takes to move 3and 1/2 tons that quick. Someone that has more drag racing history might can comment on this. Picture this: a five hundred horse camaro pulling another camaro thru the quarter(same weight as me) wouldn't break the 13's probably not even the 14's. If you go to the website, I have as much as the quadzilla truck and Michael Tomac's truck. Do a search, I'm sure they have dynoed theirs. This post wasn't to be in an argument about horsepower , it was giving a valid opinion of why I like driving what I drive. Trust me I've had them all on the farm and I know what really works for us. They all have their ups and downs. The ford has more room. The dodge is cheaper to upkeep. And the chevy has the best resale. If you trade alot chevy is the way to go in my opinion. I also dont like shifting gears and ford and dodge transmission will not hold up with the allison. Pulling the loads we do...peanuts cotton ,1600 gal tanks. 38ft goosenecks always overloaded, we never had the first ford or dodge make it thru 2 years without a tranny. We've had 14 duramaxes on since they came out without any transmission trouble whatsoever. As a matter of fact other than a turbo that me and bud light overboosted, the only thing we had was injector cup seals leaking on one truck(recall)Again just my opinion. By the way the only ford I know of in the 11's is a full modified stripped twin turboed CUMMINS(not a powerstroke)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast