Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Power Upgrades for Mountaineer

I've got a 97 Mountaineer (just like an explorer) with a 5.0 v-8 in it. I use it to tow my friends boat, and also my drag car. I know that it's going to be tricky to get a bunch of extra power out of the motor without killing the gas milage even more. Has anyone upgraded to a cat-back exhauast or new computer chip to up the power. Any tips or tricks to get more power out of the 5.0 motor? Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might want to consider changing the axle gear ratios. That 5.0 should pull just about anything under 3000lbs without problem.
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m towing my Vision with an ‘88 5.0 l Mustang LX sedan. First thing I did when I bought the car new was pull out the air silencer and install a K&N. This shouldn’t hurt your fuel economy. I also put in a 2 ½ inch cat back Dynomax system. This will also free up a few horsies without hurting economy. My Mustang came with 2.73 gears. Great for economy but lousy for pulling. I replaced them with 3.55’s. Gears will hurt your mileage though. I recall reading a while ago that you have to be careful how big a gear you put on the newer OBDII Fords with an automatic tranny. Something about the computer getting confused and not shifting if I recall. You might want to check with your dealer about that.

Glenn
    '88 CE Hydrostream Vision
    1978 Mercury 1750

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)
    Be careful when making mods on a 5.0 that drags around a lot of weight. You can't afford to trade low end torque for midrange on a 4200 Ib vehicle. My 5.0 Explorer came factory equipped with 3.73 gears which are plenty for me. A good catback exhaust and a K&N filter are certainly good low hanging fruit, but will likely not give you the extra low end torque we so love when towing.

My next mod. would be a whipple or roots type blower (not centrifugal) with a better exhaust as suggested earlier. They produce boast down low in the RPM band and make a 5.0 feel like a 460. I would contact both BBK and Kenne Bell and see if they have a kit for your application. A 6 Ib. kit should suffice. It won't be cheap ($2.5K to $3K), buy hey, what is anymore? Just make sure your ignition system is kept in optimum condition as the increased cylinder pressure can induce misfire.