Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

120mph laser

I would have to say that laser ed is probally the most honest man i have ever met if he say's his boat ran 130mph i would not dought it thats just not his nature to say something thats not true i have seen the boat personaly run 117mph when i was next to him in my action at 114 he walked out on me and i saw his gps.If anyone want to see it go 120 i will put one of my motors on it and if ed won't drive it i will but there is no dought that ed will want to do it.and for the guy that said he was going to run the 29srx that is not a good idea these boats do not need bow lift at all run a cleaver at real high engine height and around 6inch's of setback. Ed's boat is extremely light you could actually punch your hand through the cap if you wanted too. these boats are extremely dangerous at these speed and are very prone to blowover so anyone attempting these speeds please wear your lifeline and helmet and have a boat nearby to pull you out the water never test alone. i have seen ed blowout at over 100mph in his old boat and i thought he would have been dead but somehow he rode it out have seen that twice if that happens in his light boat he will go through the side of the boat. We will be getting his laser back up and running soon he was saying he missed running it since he got the stv so i guess he will have to get back into the laser and roll out 120 for the none believer's. Later Keys Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a stratos 180VT,wich is the same hull as the ltv only heavier.Mine weighs 750lb.s I also added an inch to the pad wich will pull the sponsons out of the water at high speeds and releive some air preasure.Thats why I went with an 29 pitch SRX.I would NOT under any circumstances run a 29SRX on a 400lb,stock bottom LTV or STV.We will see how it works.I may end up with a cleaver any way.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my laser is that heavy, and ask any of the guys down here - you couldn't PAY me to run a chopper of any sort! My 28 merc cleaver can been trimmed to the sky before it even thinks of blowing out, as a matter of fact it wont blow out it will just start losing speed and gain rpm b/c its slipping.

'95 STV "The Blue Goose"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRACING View Post
    I have a stratos 180VT,wich is the same hull as the ltv only heavier.Mine weighs 750lb.s I also added an inch to the pad wich will pull the sponsons out of the water at high speeds and releive some air preasure.Thats why I went with an 29 pitch SRX.I would NOT under any circumstances run a 29SRX on a 400lb,stock bottom LTV or STV.We will see how it works.I may end up with a cleaver any way.......
    Ok sorry for my ignorance here, i have a Motion ( LTV splash ) its Kevlar and was 440LBS now heavier with seats ect. I'm putting new power on it this year 2.5L 200, I run a 28p Big ear Merc, I figure I'll be getting somewhere near 90 this year, above GPR said he wouldn't run 29SRX not familiar with this prop, don't feel like getting wet and want to know if mine is a bad prop to be running. Thanks.

Dan
    1990 LTV
    2.5L 200 Merc fishin motor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big eared props or merc choppers are good props but not the best for your boat.The best bang (top end bang) is a merc cleaver,it is not a good prop to carry weight.The cleaver will not give you the bow lift and you don:t want bow lift above 80 mph which you will see and more with a stock merc 2.4 or 2.5 with no mods.If you do the standard things to you engine and hull you will be in the low to mid 90s.BY standard I mean bump the engine timeing ,reeds,jetting,6 inch jack plate and a low water pickup and you are on your way. ....SRXs where made by omc and are very good props but again are bow lifters.The worst blow out I ever had was with SRX 14.25x 27.I over trimed and the boat turned sideways and all everbody saw was a wall of water but the boat stayed flat and I stayed in it.It was not the props fault ,it was my error for trimming to fast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks LaserEd, I've now got LW pickup, solid mounts, manual jack plate and mildly cut heads thats as far as I want to go. I'll try to learn from your overtrimming lesson, I don't want to find out for myself lol. I just get concerned reading these posts as my son also drives the boat and I'm trying to keep it as safe as possible. I did try a friends cleaver, didn't really like it, didn't have the mid range pull of the chopper and until now I liked the flighty feeling of the boat with the chopper but I will reconsider now I'm going to be seeing higher speeds.
    1990 LTV
    2.5L 200 Merc fishin motor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn Ed,Youre scarring me with thar SRX story!So you think it was the prop or what???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We just dropped a stock 2 liter 150 merc on a LTV ,ran first trip out with no lwp and a 28 chopper @ 77.9 ,and just got the lwp on and hit 79 so far running flat.
    20 SHADOW 300+ V8

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Srx

IT had nothing to do with the prop,it was me trimming to much and another lesson learned the hard way.I was raceing a 20ft action with a 280 on it( kenny parkers ,which is maybe the fastest 20 around at 103)and I was trying to get alittle more speed and bang its sideways.All of will blowout under the right conditions.
    Airboater where did that laser come from? Was that brians or his father bills boat?They had two them...and they were real nice people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laser_ED View Post
    IT had nothing to do with the prop,it was me trimming to much and another lesson learned the hard way.I was raceing a 20ft action with a 280 on it( kenny parkers ,which is maybe the fastest 20 around at 103)and I was trying to get alittle more speed and bang its sideways.All of will blowout under the right conditions.
    Airboater where did that laser come from? Was that brians or his father bills boat?They had two them...and they were real nice people.
    Yes it was Brians dads old boat ,the yellow one
    20 SHADOW 300+ V8

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    Gus who?
    Gus Hagler, and yes I saw your sig.
    Jeff & Suzette Georges

Nitrous for your motor is like cocaine........a little probably won't hurt, the problem is only doing a little!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Laser Ed,Im thinking of converting mine to center steer.Do you think it will help the boat handle better??Im thinking I should since Ive added an inch to the pad-Its going to act morer like a V-bottom with sponsons mostly out of the water.Ive been pondering it qiute a while and since Im waiting on motor parts now would be the time.Thanks for ya input!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

center steer

Center steer is the only way to go with that boat if you plan to go fast,Don't ponder any longer just do it it will make all the difference in the world as for driving and balance. Keys dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed my first boat to the center and it balanced the boat alot better.If you don:t have a wife or a girlfriend that has to sit beside you .....yes move it to the center and you will not regret it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Center Steer

Thanks Dave & Ed.Im going to go ahead and do it.Im going to try and find an allison seat for the driver and take the two new buckets I have and mount them in the back.I thought about putting them on some sort of pedistal mount so they will be removible and leave the driver seat fixed.That way I can cut down on more weight.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast