Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is worth doing properly

A friend used to have a very light ball weight and never had a problem until one day, he was towing his boat very slowly down a gravel hill. His kids were in it (they were only going a short distance at slow speed on a private road) and the boat trailler jacknifed and took over the whole rig. He was lucky, he thought it was going over the bank and knew it would have seriously hurt the kids. It didn't go, but it was close. His vehicle was adequate (not rated to double or anything light that) but still, why not do it right?

I've read quite a number of times that 5-10% is ideal and did a quick net search to confirm . On the net I found a lot of "10% is ideal" and the odd 10-15% recommendation. 10% would be good I think. Too much more and then you need load leveling hitches etc as it takes too much weight off the front wheel.

I had to move my boat backwards on my trailler as the ball weight was way too much. We had the winch support bar angle changed to help this.

Also, your trailler seems quite small for the job. There isn't much support at all for the front half of the boat. I know it shouldn't need as much support as the transom but maybe look how you can give it some support. Do you have any weight in the front of the boat? A nose fuel tank? That would make it more urgent but maybe a couple of height adjustable rollers would be a good plan?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like you could

Change the angle of the bunks and easily get the boat up where it needs to be. From the pic. it looks like the bow is to low, When you tighten the winch down, Is the bow eye tight to the stop on the trailer? The stop apears to be sitting in front of the Bow and not under the bow like it should be. I like the idea about the four bunks also.

Whatever you do, Get that transom sitting on the bunks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3