Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMC GEARCASE Q: WILL A 1998 60DEGREE V4 LOWER FIT a 1998 90DEGREE V4 Motor?

Dear friends, Does anyone know if a 1998 Johnson V4 (60 degree) outboard lower unit with two piece (snap-in) driveshafts WILL FIT a 1998 Johnson V4 (90 degree) outboard motor ?. The OEM part number of the gearcase is 436771. Are the gear-ratios correct? - Is this as strong as the 90 degree units. I have the drive & shift shafts out of the 90 degree unit..

Any ideas would be appreciated - Thanks !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dony see why they wouldnt interchange except maybe the shafts are in fdifferent spots, other than tht i think they will
    Drive it like you stole it!!, And if you did steal it, drive faster!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JD

You will need to know what gear ratio you have. With the Eagle motors(60 degree) used .50... Then on the Thunders(90 degree) those are all .44...

Now the one thing here is to besure of the MY you have. As you get into the newer MY's we have two different gear ratios on the Eagle being both the .44 and the .50... But on the 98 MY those are what we have as one is one gear ratio and the other size motor is the other...You would merely have to simply change the upper drive shaft which is no biggy and then screw in the other shift shaft and you could be running like that just with different gear ratios...Now with certain setups the gear ration change would be cool if proped to keep the motor in the right RPM range for that motor...

Easy to check what gear ratio you have is with the LU down mark the drive shaft and the prop shaft so that you can keep up with what you have, but turn the drive shaft with the GC in gear, one full turn and if you see the prop shaft has turned exactly half a turn that would be the .50 gear ratio...Hope this helps

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Rowdy

Welcome to S&F!! I think you'll like it here. I know you definitely have a lot to add to the content. Folks, this guy will definitely give more than he gets.
    Rickracer

Sunshine Syndicate Member

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[img]http:/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RickRacer

Thanks for the kind words. I have been known to care too much about our Johnson & Evinrude products; and by more than a few too...I just refuse to see our J&E product not be out front where it belongs and will run... I have grown up around these motors all my life and truly love the product throughouts its ups and downs...I do enjoy helping those with our product. Now sometimes I do get confuzed about those that don't really want help, so please if I barge in on someone like this set me straight so I don't waste your time as well as get you pissed at me while I try to help LOL...

I have spent way too much time on other sites helping those that run our J&E product to get all washed out in the politics of bad business on poorly ran boards... I hope that I can learn as much as everyone else here as we have fun together on here as I have seen through out the years I have read the friggin guru's posts on this board... I will do my best to help those I can, and learn from everone. We all have things to offer each other I know... Thanks again for the kind words...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Welcome, Rowdy

As you will realize, this is the place to be.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Markus

You know its kind of funny really, I have always know this was the real place alright, never had a doubt of that ever. I just figured that there was so many good techs here and guys that shared things and helped each other I would be better off helping those with J&E questions else where...Its not that I didn't come here and read what all was going on, I did and just had a good time doing that alone. I spent alot of time on a few other sites and I mean alot of time...I hope I helped a few there as I intended too and for the most part had a lot of fun doing that... Things have just changed and time for something else is all...

I do hope to have as much fun here or even more as there is quite the following here for sure. I am quite familar with the 90's MY and newer... I know Ficht and love the way it runs and like to help those with any and all of this stuff...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rowdy

Glad to see you on the board Rowdy! It is a great place, just not enough DFI E-Rudes yet. But that will change. Had a chance to run any E-TECs yet?
    Backfire