Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard starting V8

Looking for some diagnostic help. I have two 275 V8's, the starboard motor starts right away and the port sometimes takes 5 or more minutes to start. When starting the port motor the starter (new) disengages quickly. What I do to get it started; electric fuel prime, throttle full, choke in. After about 5 mintues of trying it kicks over (runs a little rough for about a minute then comes around). During the process I have experienced a cough and a cloud of exhaust smoke. Any ideas to begin figuring out what s wrong is greatly appreciated. Once I have it started it runs like a champ!

CP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question v8 problems

Rhummer I would tell you to do a compression check on that engine first also a total output check on your electrical system,also make sure they check the quickstart system and ensure that everything is ok there before moving on to anything else,with the sarter kickin off like that, that sort of thing normally happens when you have a cylinder thats down or lower compression than the others.If your spark and comp is good then I would make sure you have a strong battery and good wires to the engine they need good cranking speed,if thats all good you can check to see if you primer circuits are working. hope this gets you in the right direction

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ttt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting problem

It is not getting fuel. Prime it, no throttle and choke on while cranking. When it fires, give a little throttle. I have had this happen to several of these that I have had and I still have 2. A hot battery is always a help, voltage drops to around 9 volts while cranking.
    Good luck.