Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMC v6 200 versus 225 ('96)

Ok, I'm frustrated as hell.

This spring I purchased 225 carbs for my 200. The dealer I work with said the only difference between these two motors was the carbs. I double checked this with a few different folks, and everyone confirmed - so I went ahead with the upgrade.

After the upgrade I expected to get a couple more MPH, but instead I lost a couple of MPH. I used to run a solid 65@5600 - it was like hitting a brick wall very little would influence this speed, now I run a 62-66@5450-5650 but very sensitive to weight and enviroment, most times I'm running 62, but under thr right conditions with a light load I have run as high as 66.

I took the motor into a local shop just for a link and sync, and they told me that the 225 and the 200 have different porting and that they confirmed this "with an OMC tech". They said my motor now had a "flooding" condition, and the exhaust ports are different between these two motors.

So who's right? The local shop is saying I should put the 200 carbs back on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 200 and 225 in 96 are the same except for the carbs, but the 225 ho is different it has larger exhaust and smaller idle relief holes. If you have the ho carbs it would be rich. The standard 225 carbs would be right provided you also changed the throttle plates as they are matched for carb size.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Racer

Thanks for your aswers on these questions. You are one of the few that know 100% what you are talking about, give good information that members use, and don't bother with any BS.
    I read all of your responses I see and learn something almost every time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks racer!

The local shop that was going to do the link and sync changed their "view" - they now say porting is the same.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok - new question

The local shop now says my motor is actually a '97 (the manufacter date on it says March of '96), and that the difference between the 225 and 200 for that year is both difference carbs, and a different _exhaust plate_?

Racer? Anybody? Are these guys full of ****?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Exhaust adapter plate is the same on the 200/225 in 97 part number is 436751 and it subs to 439918.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome info... thanks racer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you changed the carbs did you change the front (plastic) half only, or did you change the entire carb with the throttle body.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything (including the metal part) was chsanged. Here is a pic of my old old carbs... the 225 parts replaced all these...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carb2sm.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note sure if this helps, but something interesting I noticed when decarbing the engine.

When spraying the decarb into the engine, I noticed that it was easier to stall the engine in the "upper cylinders".

For instance, not much decarb spayed into the top two cylinders would be needed in order to have the engine stall. The middle cylinders I could stall the engine, but it look alot of the stuff spayed in double handed and full spay in order to stall the engine. The bottom cylinders though, it seemed that no matter how much decarb I spayed into those the engine would still run no problem.

Seems like most of my power is coming from the upper cylinders, then middle, and finally the least coming from the bottom.

Anyone notice this before? Is it a symptom of somthing that could be my problem?

I guess I'm thinking this could indicate some need carb adjustments -bad fuel mixtures (running lean) in the lower cylinders?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Port timing is the same between the basic 200's and 225's I checked both a 96 225 and a 97 200 and they had the same port timing. If you got carbs for the same year as you have now you should have adjustable idle jets, adjust the carbs and read the plugs. Also not shure but you may need to get that motor closer to the 6000 rpm's to see a speed difference. I heard tale that the 225's made more power near or just above 6K.

Kinda confusing yea, I have done this many times and always seen an iccrease in mph arround a solid 2 or 3 mph on fishing boats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the spark plugs this morning.

They look alright, just a little on the rich side. A little black carbon on the edges (all is one spot), the ceramic was mostly chocolate brown with one side a little black. And the lead was a wet looking brown (again a brown to dark brown).

First thing is there seems to be the wrong spark plugs. They curren ones are Champion QL77JC4, but in looking this up on the Internet I see they should be QL78YC - anyone know if this makes much of a difference?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, between other work today I decarbs the engine, did a compression check (100, 100, 100, 100, 95, and 90) and replaced plugs and raise the engine a 1/4 of and inch (damn manual jack plate, and constantly frigin with it). Going to take her for a run tomorrow and see how she does - hopefully this wakes her up.

After looking at the plugs in bright sunshine, it looks like I could be running more rich than I should be - much more black wet gooeyness than I orginally thought. Nothing really caked on the plugs, and a little dark brown is visble on the ceramics.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that if you check the OMC manual on plugs for that engine you will find that both of the plugs will work. I also thiank that a QL16V is another alternative for low speed operation. Not shure you would see a difference in aly of the plugs anyways. Th eone cylinder with 90 psi may be needed to do a leak down test on.

What altitude are you runing the motor? What are your main jet sizes?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever the stock jets are - I'm not sure. I've never worked on carburators before. Is there some adjustment on air fuel mixture that can be made without changing jet size?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast