Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bow lift struggle

Having issues getting the boat fully out on pad. 16' fisher fiber glass bass boat, padded hull checked for hook, 150 2 stroker mercury, 20" Mid, 6" set back manual plate, moved everything possible to the stern, fuel tank batteries and any fishing gear, new tempest plus prop that hasn't been tampered with, 2:1 lower. Running 55mph at 5700rpm.

Tested multiple prop sizes and styles with the same results, started 3" below pad and went down in 1/4" increments till it started to lose speed. Come out of the hole like a rocket no matter what prop is on it. Once on plane the first half of the trim range is sensitive, I can feel it moving with just a bump of the switch. Second half it feels like it's no longer making an effect. At full trim I'm not blowing out or throwing too high of a rooster. This past weekend it calculated 7.5% slip up stream and 1.77% down so I believe it's still grabbing good. Only reason I haven't went higher than the 3" below pad is I'm starting to loose water pressure at that point. But I may install the transom mounted lwp if needed.

Keep in mind this hull wasn't exactly designed as a high performance hull. Originally I believe they came with 90hp on them so I may just be stuck with what I've got at 55mph.

I'm open to any suggestions, wedges, trim extensions, lifting it to the moon etc.

I've added a blurry picture also if it will show up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20240204_173647_Gallery.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hows your core? Ive seen a couple do the same when the core got soft the hull flexed preventing the hull from setting on the pad. Turned into a banana type deal from the force of the water
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good, hasn't been drilled and tested but I can lift it with a floor jack and a block with no deflection.

4. Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NRAINES38 View Post
    Having issues getting the boat fully out on pad. 16' fisher fiber glass bass boat, padded hull checked for hook, 150 2 stroker mercury, 20" Mid, 6" set back manual plate, moved everything possible to the stern, fuel tank batteries and any fishing gear, new tempest plus prop that hasn't been tampered with, 2:1 lower. Running 55mph at 5700rpm. Only reason I haven't went higher than the 3" below pad is I'm starting to loose water pressure at that point. But I may install the transom mounted lwp if needed.
    Whether a hull can get 'fully' on a pad depends on bottom design, pad sizing, weight, power. It's possible that your pad just can't get your hull fully there. That being said, with the lower unit still 3" below pad, there's still some speed there to be gained, which would aid in getting boat more on pad. Assume you've got a water gage to keep active measure of water pressure. Maybe you can get LWP unit so that you can safely raise engine more?
    Last edited by Jimboat; 02-05-2024 at 08:44 AM.

6. Likes David - WI, NICE PAIR, David, transomstand liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea that was always a thought in the back of my mind, at the end of the day it's a cheap little fishing boat not a race boat. That being said I still want every mph out of it possible. At this point it's more of an efficiency thing for me, if I can get it out of the water instead of plowing it would help a ton. I may have to just go that route with the lwp and see what it'll do. Will have to do some changes, at the 3" mark I only have about a 1/2" more of adjustment before the plates maxed out. Motors already highest on its holes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said that you tried multiple props. Which ones? Some are better bow lifters than others.
    1971 Sidewinder 14 SS w Johnson 90 v-4
    1959 Texas Maid Falcon w Mercury Mark 35A
    1981 Sylvan Sportster w Johnson 85 v-4
    2006 Harris pontoon with a Yamaha 90
    1969 Sunfish sailboat

9. Likes Jimboat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 different tempest, a Laser 2, and 2 that I didn't really have any info on but gave me ideas on pitch range.

I live in Prineville Oregon which is in the central part of the state
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of things. You might try moving the motor back some more if possible as that can have a huge effect on balance. If you can borrow a fat blade Mercury chopper prop you might be amazed at how much bow lift you will get. Props like the chopper are surfacing propellers and MUST have the top blade out of the water to gain bow lift. If you are going to raise the motor make sure you have a water pressure gauge so as not to lose water pressure to the motor as that will wreck the day. There are other props that have bow lift but choppers have the most bow lift of everything I have tried in the last 100 years.

12. Thanks KIRCHNER thanked for this post
    Likes Jimboat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I was real dang close to buying a chopper to start with but backed out of the deal. My brother has a 26p big ear on his I could try. We just haven't since it was going to put me a good bit out of my rpm range.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that it might just be the hull design. I know of a few designs that have a bunch of v up front, nitro made one for a few years, champion is another. Makes for a good rough water boat, but not speed demons.

Where is your fuel tank located, and how full do you run it?
    How about livewell, does it seal, are you keeping it closed?
    Have you checked for hook in the bottom?
    Or water logged flotation foam?

In my experience tempest is decent for bow lift. Higher than about -2 1/2" is just going to make it worse, until you get like +2" above pad, and it still won't respond like -3, or -3 1/2".

I think more setback, and wedges might be a good idea, if your running at the top of trim stroke frequently.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuel tanks touching the transom.
    Livewells sealed no water.
    No hook
    No foam in boat
    Yea I'm fully trimmed the whole time otherwise I'm literally plowing water throwing splash out infront of drivers seat.
    Only weight past drivers seat is the trolling motor, bins are empty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang!! What brand of boat?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fisher fiberglass, can't find any info on the boats this size not even a picture of something similar. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231111_151200.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	418.9 KB 
ID:	529490

18. Thanks OnPad thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More setback seems like the obvious answer and isn't too hard to try as long as all of your rigging is long enough. Try 12" and see if that will help carry the bow.. You will be able to run your engine higher without loosing water pressure with more setback as well. Can you plug some of the top water pickups on the lower unit? That will let you get away with running a little higher without loosing water pressure too. Tempest Plus props seem to have pretty good bow lift in my experience... I ran one on my heavy 22FT center console bay-boat and the Tempest Plus carried the bow well on that pig. I don't think they like to be surfaced though. If your going to get low water pickups and surface the prop then I would agree with trying a chopper like someone else mentioned.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to do some easy power mods too. Shave the heads down a bit, stick some new performance reeds in there. 150 2.0L motors are great but not pumping loads of power either. Tightening up your compression ratio for premium gas is the best bang for buck mod.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast