Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 175hp efi

Question I am pretty fluint on these motors but I am stumped on this one. I recently rebuilt the steering neck and installed new motor mounts and installed Carson reeds had the injectors cleaned put back together boat runs better than ever except it will only run 5100 rpms and it always ran 5800 to 6000 rpms. I have checked timing installed new plugs checked all my fuel lines and still same issue. Could it be the timing advance module.

Also it doesn't mis a beat at all at any rpm just wont go over 5200 rpms maybe the prop got hit when it was apart. Please help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are down a cylinder. I would check spark at each coil and inspect each plug. And check the timing with a dial indicator.

Timing a 2.5
    Jay Smith gives the following instructions for setting proper timing on a 2.5
    "Insert a dial indicator in # 1 plug hole ( V-6 is located Starbord side top )and rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE (with all plugs out) till you establish 0 mark the flywheel adjacent to a stationary pointer . After you've establish O turn the crankshaft COUNTER CLOCK WISE till the dial indicator reads .150" then mark the flywheel at the point where the pointer is dead nuts adjacent to the stationary pointer again that is 25 degrees. ( . 170" is 27 degrees ) Remove your dial indicator then reincert #1 plug and attach plug plug wire then ground all the rest of the plug wires ( I use a coil tester instead of grounding to the block ) attach your timing light on # 1 plug which is screwed in the block, rotate with the starter WITH THE TIMING ARM IN THE LOCKED WIDE OPEN POSITION AT TOTAL TIMING till the spark plug fires and indicates. If timing needs to be adjusted loosen the 7/16 jam nut in the top side of the timing arm and adjust philips headed screw till itswhere you want at WIDE OPEN TIMING( fully advanced ) repeat till it's dead nuts. Also make sure if you have an advancer type timing light it is on 0." (28)
    Jay makes a great dial indicator for performing this procedure - it is available at http://www.jaysmithracing.com

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have to cut the reed stops off when you switch from steel to fiber reeds?

I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not on Carson reeds they come ready to go.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so I timed exactly how u said checked all the coil and spark distance changed the plugs and still no difference going to change props and see if that does anything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2000 merc should be a 1st gen cdm engine. Do you have a service manual? If not, I can dig up the procedure for a bias test, which is mercs test for the timing module. The timing module replaces the switch boxes of the previous generation. The tests for the cdm's are pretty extensive also.
    Other possibilities. Sticky trigger, bad trigger/ stator, no power to injector/s, bad ground, or low fuel pressure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like tha ecm (ignition controller) took a dump... it controls "justa 'bout everything" electric on that motor..........
    Last edited by tlwjkw; 12-15-2023 at 02:51 AM.