Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just how prone to damage are hydraulic steering hoses?

Is it more a matter of just taking basic precautions, or do you have to be super meticulous about how they are routed and protected? I know you don't want them rubbing or bouncing on sharp objects. I'm planning to wrap them in foam pipe insulators where they run behind the interior panel. But is there any real concern if they lay over the top edge of the transom and the C-channel transom bar in the photo? The edge of the C-channel is not sharp. I'm planning to route them through the open hole at left in the photo (through a rubber boot), but I'm not sure I can avoid having them lay across the top edge of the C-channel. I guess I could wrap them there too. I don't have the parts in my hands yet and have never run a hydraulic system, so I don't know what to expect in terms of durability. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20230702_090328938.jpg  
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron - pipe insulation works well for pipes because they are stationary. Anything in a boat is not (shaking, wave impact, motor turn and trim position, etc.) Wrap everything you want in split loom. All kinds of diameters available by the bag full on Amazon. Sump pump tubing works well too but is not split. The cable grouping in your photo is a loom candidate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterZebra View Post
    Ron - pipe insulation works well for pipes because they are stationary. Anything in a boat is not (shaking, wave impact, motor turn and trim position, etc.) Wrap everything you want in split loom. All kinds of diameters available by the bag full on Amazon. Sump pump tubing works well too but is not split. The cable grouping in your photo is a loom candidate.
    OK, thanks. But I guess I don't see how the hoses could actually get damaged if they are wrapped in the type of foam in the attached photo, especially if the O.D. of the foam is wrapped with zip ties to make sure they can't pop out. Regardless of what is used, the hoses have to exit the wrapping at some point...wouldn't the split loom have a sharper edge? Wouldn't the corrugated edges within it be more abrasive than foam when bouncing?

Are you talking about split loom like this? Any time I've handled this type of conduit, the edges seem sharp:

Amazon.com: Alex Tech 10ft-1/4" 10ft-3/8" 10ft-1/2" Split Wire Loom Tubing Wire Conduit – Black : Electronics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20230712_135913435.jpg  
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron V View Post
    OK, thanks. But I guess I don't see how the hoses could actually get damaged if they are wrapped in the type of foam in the attached photo, especially if the O.D. of the foam is wrapped with zip ties to make sure they can't pop out. Regardless of what is used, the hoses have to exit the wrapping at some point...wouldn't the split loom have a sharper edge? Wouldn't the corrugated edges within it be more abrasive than foam when bouncing?

Are you talking about split loom like this? Any time I've handled this type of conduit, the edges seem sharp:

Amazon.com: Alex Tech 10ft-1/4" 10ft-3/8" 10ft-1/2" Split Wire Loom Tubing Wire Conduit – Black : Electronics
    Pipe foam is not going to hold up in a marine environment........salt, water, UV, etc. Use loom. Guarantee you if used back by the engine it will be chewed up in one season.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterZebra View Post
    Pipe foam is not going to hold up in a marine environment........salt, water, UV, etc. Use loom. Guarantee you if used back by the engine it will be chewed up in one season.
    I wasn't planning to use foam pipe insulators in the splashwell. I was only planning to use that where they run behind the interior panel where they might be flopping around. Zero exposure to UV rays and we have no saltwater in Illinois. I have a couple of swim noodles made from the same material that I have been storing behind the other side panel for about 15 years that are like new.

My question involving the splashwell is "do they need to be wrapped at all where they might come in contact with the top edge of the transom?"

I can't believe that with hundreds of people seeing this question on a high perf outboard forum, nobody else has installed one of these systems where the motor is hanging off of a jackplate???
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it looks like a hi chafe spot then put a couple layers of heat shrink over that area.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xstreamvking View Post
    if it looks like a hi chafe spot then put a couple layers of heat shrink over that area.
    thank you!
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My boat has some wire loom plastic over the lines in the splash well. Hydraulic hose wrap would work good also. They make it in a spiral plastic or a cloth cover.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, coming back on this. I got the steering rigged and tested it, but then left right away for a motorcycle trip to the North Cascades (from Illinois) and back. I did wind up going with split loom both in the splashwell and behind the interior panels. The hydraulic steering is awesome. I should have gone to it a couple of steering systems ago. Thanks for the help.
    Ron V

10. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post