Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where’d Chaz go ? Tell me he’s not another “internet keyboard warrior pretender” … At least show us a picture of your STV ….

MDS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukiride View Post
    I need some popcorn and a cold drink for this thread, it's getting good. . . .
    Classic - no boat and talking **** about nothing

Sorry your thread got wrecked Joe

MDS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    I guess my quote should have said "we will see 150 mph (consumer use, warrantied, pump fuel, smooth shifting, perfectly mannered, quite, smokeless) outboards" so he doesn't get them confused with the 40 year old stuff he attempts to modify at this point.
    Well JP , thats a little better .. but we both know as soon as someone goes 152 .. you'll be all over the "fastest outboard run in history bar none" narrative.

And forget all about the wty, smooth shifting, pizzwater gas, dock friendly manors ..

BTW .. aint them two strokes on your skeeter ... LMAO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lets see the 151 MPH STV today on a timed course .And I think they are best little boat made but you are not going to ride around with your buds in a STV for mile after mile with a motor that was set up 2 make a couple passes.I love my 300X on the Twister 24 but it is not like riding in these new Cats with 300 /400/450s .They will idle run on 87 or 89 octane and shift without stalling.
    24 Twister

5. Likes mikesufka liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chaz -

Done arguing …. If that’s your cat with 300X’s, good for you. I have the same package and it’s fantastic … If I do this again, a Skater or DW with current motors is on the short list. I blew up a few 2.5’s on a STV Euro and Allison GS - done with that ****.

Cheers

MDS

PS: “puppet boy” ? Wow
    Last edited by mikesufka; 04-27-2023 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    This is what I was responding to :

[/COLOR]

For those grammatically challenged or have difficult with comprehension .. I can explain further if necessary ...

Stan, Dixon came on here before and spoke of the 151 mph pass. I knew if I mentioned it .. there would be rumblings of .. where's the proof ..

I think there was a guy in Italy that went 150 in a F-1 boat as well ...

Kind of a buzz kill for the "near future" and "unfathomable crowd" but as Ben Shapiro says ... facts don't care about feelings ...
    If you could see the prop he made that pass with you wouldn't believe it. I can scarcely believe it myself. It's so tiny. But ......... it's the one that did it.

The big boats are cool at these speeds, partially because they're so much more stable. But, that takes nothing away from what Dixon accomplished. He blew over in testing awhile later, on the river, right in front of his house, about 12-15 years ago, and got out of boat racing all together. Laugh, but it was a promise to his Mama, who also was a dear friend of mine. Personally, I'm glad he quit. He might not be around with us now if he hadn't.

8. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think someone wanting to run those speeds would have used the more aerodynamic MVP deck with capsule, the way he was floating around was breathtaking.

Lucky man.
    We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll probably be in his shop this weekend at some point in time. Hope to put my Allison in at his landing one afternoon this weekend. I'll snap a pic of that wheel.

He told me that he had made several passes at Stockton straight trying to get all the top he could and that every serious try was going downstream. Said that when he'd get up to the high 130s the back end would start getting "squirrelly". He nailed it one time on the return loop, coming back upstream, and said it felt better, so he went back down and tried a full out upstream pass. The rest is lore.

Dixon is a great friend and has been a tremendous help to my son and I, with our boats. He is a mechanical and electrical genius, but still has "walking around sense". Lots of fun.

11. Thanks Instigator thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator, rgsauger, JR IN JAX liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The wheel probably looks tiny due to being on a Speedmaster gear case.

Typically 9”-ish diameter compared to 14”+ on a Sporty etc.

If you want to laugh, look at the size of a prop on an Unlimited Hydro’

Quote Originally Posted by AlliStan View Post
    I'll probably be in his shop this weekend at some point in time. Hope to put my Allison in at his landing one afternoon this weekend. I'll snap a pic of that wheel.

He told me that he had made several passes at Stockton straight trying to get all the top he could and that every serious try was going downstream. Said that when he'd get up to the high 130s the back end would start getting "squirrelly". He nailed it one time on the return loop, coming back upstream, and said it felt better, so he went back down and tried a full out upstream pass. The rest is lore.

Dixon is a great friend and has been a tremendous help to my son and I, with our boats. He is a mechanical and electrical genius, but still has "walking around sense". Lots of fun.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean, Instigator, but I've never seen it on a gear case. It's hanging on the wall of his shop. I'll get the specs on it when I snap a pic.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My 2 c’s.

Never been a four stroke outboard fan, or a big cat fan, so understand my opinion should be nothing to anybody!
    Except maybe me :-)

To have no interest in the big cats does not mean I don’t admire them when I am someplace that they are.
    I am in awe of what is available if you can write the check!

Way cool stuff for sure!

When mercury came out with the new line of four stroke outboard‘s, in my opinion, that changed everything!

They got the weight down and the power up to where now, they have something to argue about where before you couldn’t because power was similar and weight was higher than the two strokes.

That argument is now over.

The argument of an STV versus a 34 foot cat is also comparing apples to oranges.
    Different strokes for different folks.

Already good points made about the differences between both.
    The cockpit and a 24 skater is not that much bigger than a 19 foot STV euro but the capabilities of the boats and and you can do with it or worlds apart!

The one thing I do like about the new popularity of the outboards is acknowledging I have zero interest in one, nor the ability to afford one without bitching about it every time I looked at it, it makes me enjoy my filed on junk I scrape out of the dumpster and keep running for next to nothing!

As a sidebar, there is an interesting thread going on currently on oso.com about the accuracy of numbers posted at the shoot outs.

Several of the top level teams have noted what they show on board during a pass is sometimes 10 to 20 miles an hour slower than what they are reporting with a radar gun from the shoreline.

That also applies to what we report from our junk.
    Speed from what?
    Pito speedometer, GPS speedometer, measured mile??

I learned from racing kneel down for nine years that those three can be drastically different!

Ultimately it really doesn’t matter if you show up and throw down with the guy that claims the big speeds that he does and you out run him.

PS, this all about having fun right?

Like the monster IOs.
    Ill never own one but when one comes into dock where we are, I am the first guy to his dock to help w/lines and drool on his amazing rig!
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

15. Thanks NICE PAIR thanked for this post
    Likes noli, bouyhead, AlliStan, 22R, dgscroggs, rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instigator,

I especially like your comment about pito speedometer

17. Likes Instigator, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GPS has done more to slow boats down then anything in history. All of this is about fun for sure. The talk of not liking new product that performs better then anything in the past comes from people that; 1. won't spend the money to experience it or 2. can't spend the money to experience it or 3. have never experienced it. or 4. don't have a hull that can handle the weight to experience it. I have numerous friends who have moved up to new power and don't hear any of them talking other then praise after upgrading.

I have said before, these speeds are all great but its only the starting point of today's boats with real power. I will be the first guy to say "if I could afford it", I would have a new 388 (composite built hull), or a new 42 Performance/DW with 1350s. These are the real deal but I don't waste the time to talk or comment on stuff that I will most likely never own. I applaud the guys that have them and love watching them be built and run.

Joe

19. Likes Instigator, NICE PAIR, JR IN JAX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lake p.a.l. View Post
    Did you mean 250 hours in 8 months?
    I wasn't referring to you and I.... looking forward to running with you guys soon-

Joe

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When we had our boat docked at Lake Erie there was a private island right by our marina.

The first boat into their canal was a 40’ cat on a lift.
    It had FOUR 1350’s w/FOUR #6’s w/gorgeous wheels to match.

Any time he started the first motor, no matter what I was doing, I would stop and count the motors starting!

Used to go by dinghy, right behind it, shut the motor off and just stare at it!

Not my style but was badd asss!

Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    GPS has done more to slow boats down then anything in history. All of this is about fun for sure. The talk of not liking new product that performs better then anything in the past comes from people that; 1. won't spend the money to experience it or 2. can't spend the money to experience it or 3. have never experienced it. or 4. don't have a hull that can handle the weight to experience it. I have numerous friends who have moved up to new power and don't hear any of them talking other then praise after upgrading.

I have said before, these speeds are all great but its only the starting point of today's boats with real power. I will be the first guy to say "if I could afford it", I would have a new 388 (composite built hull), or a new 42 Performance/DW with 1350s. These are the real deal but I don't waste the time to talk or comment on stuff that I will most likely never own. I applaud the guys that have them and love watching them be built and run.

Joe
    Last edited by Instigator; 04-28-2023 at 08:12 PM.

22. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast