User Tag List

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used to laugh at the idiotic ads for the dealers, including, “we will pay off your trade”.

I thought, who is stupid (gullible?) enough to believe that?
    That was as a young adult.
    50 yrs later, they run the same ad!

I told that lot boy that when I got my first auto loan, at 17 yrs old, I needed 10% down, my mom to co-sign and a wk for the bank to approve!

Now I can walk in w/no money and drive out in a $60k+ car an hr later w/no job and now down payment!

When I moved to Fla the first time, ‘04, I was a self employed, outside salesman which banks hate loaning to but needed a mortgage for my new place in the Cape.

My loan officer told me he’d get me approved through the governments new “no document loans”.
    I didn’t even need to prove I had an income and got a $130k mortgage!

What could possibly go wrong!

Then they did the interest only loans and the reverse mortgages that let you cash out on your equity!

Then came the crash.

To drive it home, we had a family friend who’s dad lost his house after cashing out his principal.
    The friend placed all blame on the bank for doing the loan for his dad.

Of course nothing is our fault so…

Quote Originally Posted by sharpeye Mike View Post
    A young lad at work still owed on his car but wanted a truck real bad. One day he found the truck that he's been looking for.
    A three year old Colorado 4X4 with a diesel engine. Nice truck but when I did the math on how much he really paid for, he was in disbelieve. He financed the whole truck plus still had 5 more payments left on his car. His now $35,000 used truck will cost him $62,000 by the time he's done paying for it and will be a 10 year old truck by then.
    Last edited by Instigator; 03-11-2023 at 09:52 AM.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

2. Likes NICE PAIR, rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought a new 1987 Valero YT with a 175 Johnson. 15 year loan, I cannot remember the payment amount, $200 0r less I think. We paid it off early with home equity money. Loved that boat but it was a struggle to afford it the first couple of years.
    We sold it for about $7500 and a guy from New Hampshire came down to Cincinnati to pick it up years later. I spotted that boat on Facebook in New York state last summer. Its still in service.
    I cannot imagine spending $75 to $100 grand on a boat today. (other than a Houseboat)
    It looks like the $15K spent in 1987 would be about $42K in todays money.
    My old Houseboat, Lavey Craft, Nitro and Polaris jet ski are all very used and paid for years ago. Man it has been a great ride, I would love to do it all over again!
    L.T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpeye Mike View Post
    A young lad at work still owed on his car but wanted a truck real bad. One day he found the truck that he's been looking for.
    A three year old Colorado 4X4 with a diesel engine. Nice truck but when I did the math on how much he really paid for, he was in disbelieve. He financed the whole truck plus still had 5 more payments left on his car. His now $35,000 used truck will cost him $62,000 by the time he's done paying for it and will be a 10 year old truck by then.
    One tool that I think will benefit the young generation is a Loan Calculator.
    Like this one on the internet.

Loan Calculator

5. Thanks Instigator thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator, David - WI, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    ...define affordable...
    Thought about it ….

“Affordable’ may not be the best word, but if I buy another cat, $300+ is probably gonna be a real number ( 32 DW or 30 Skater ) …. A buddy of mine is ordering a new DCB 37 …. $700 ?

The days of a new Hydrostream at $15,000 or an Allison at $20,000 are over.

MDS

7. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Didn’t remember the Hydrostream part.

Thought you bought your Lavey new but now remember it came from Fast Eddie right?

How bout the HO motor? I know you put a bazillion hrs on it and made for a killer, all around rig!

Quote Originally Posted by LaveyT View Post
    We bought a new 1987 Valero YT with a 175 Johnson. 15 year loan, I cannot remember the payment amount, $200 0r less I think. We paid it off early with home equity money. Loved that boat but it was a struggle to afford it the first couple of years.
    We sold it for about $7500 and a guy from New Hampshire came down to Cincinnati to pick it up years later. I spotted that boat on Facebook in New York state last summer. Its still in service.
    I cannot imagine spending $75 to $100 grand on a boat today. (other than a Houseboat)
    It looks like the $15K spent in 1987 would be about $42K in todays money.
    My old Houseboat, Lavey Craft, Nitro and Polaris jet ski are all very used and paid for years ago. Man it has been a great ride, I would love to do it all over again!
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post

Thought you bought your Lavey new but now remember it came from Fast Eddie right?

How bout the HO motor? I know you put a bazillion hrs on it and made for a killer, all around rig!

Instigator -

I bought my first Allison from “Fast Eddie” …. I think Is he still around ?

MDS

10. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post

yep Fast Eddie was the 2nd owner. He has another clean ass Talon now. All his stuff is perfectly kept.
    the Steam was from Stranges boat shop in Eaton Ohio.
    I’m not sure what Ed has in this thing but I’m sure it’s bad ass!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3194719-7395-4AF0-BC72-C57D44120B86.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	516497
    L.T.

12. Likes mikesufka, Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brunswick owns major boating brands, including Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, Bayliner, Lund, Crestliner, Harris Pontoons, Princecraft, and Quicksilver.

Which raises the question of producing affordable boats in the family runabout and pleasure craft (and speed boats would arguably be included) class boats.

Would it not be in the best interest of business, that Brunswick & Mercury Marine produce a Brand of boats for the Affordable Entry Level (for first time boat owners & us on a fixed income)?

Brunswick could use its purchasing power’s economy of scale. By using the aforementioned Boat Brands parts, materials, manufacturing expertise, and suppliers. And network/utilize those boat company resources into the new Affordable Brand Boats.

Last edited by Lake X Kid; 03-11-2023 at 11:33 AM.

14. Thanks Instigator thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator, rgsauger liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great idea.

In reality, relative to todays economy, they do still build affordable, small family boats but they’re all powered by 4 banger IOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    Brunswick owns major boating brands, including Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, Bayliner, Lund, Crestliner, Harris Pontoons, Princecraft, and Quicksilver.

Which raises the question of producing affordable boats in the family runabout and pleasure craft (and speed boats would arguably be included) class boats.

Would it not be in the best interest of business, that Brunswick & Mercury Marine produce a Brand of boats for the Affordable Entry Level (for first time boat owners & us on a fixed income)?

Brunswick could use its purchasing power’s economy of scale. By using the aforementioned Boat Brands parts, materials, manufacturing expertise, and suppliers. And network/utilize those boat company resources into the new Affordable Brand Boats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's simply the demographic... Your typical millennial thats coming up now that has some money would rather buy a new iphone or go on an expensive vacation - they dont want to buy a boat and take care of it...it's too bad...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronhl View Post
    I think it's simply the demographic... Your typical millennial thats coming up now that has some money would rather buy a new iphone or go on an expensive vacation - they dont want to buy a boat and take care of it...it's too bad...
    I am 34 y/o so I am familiar with millennials being basically your average age millennial myself although I wouldn't say I'm your typical millennial...If the typical millennial wanted to take care of a boat, they couldnt because they dont have the mechanical skills, youd be surprised how many kids my age still play videos games and have very few mechanical hobbies, not to mention how many have limited savings which could be another reason why they dont have boats, I mean how could they when they spend $1000/mo on a brand new car

Maybe I have a bias up here in CT because our average age is higher than other states but then again we have so many areas to boat I'd think Id have more people my age to boat with !!

Edit: Another thing I want to say is that I read it on the news all the time around here is that the younger people (again the ones up n coming who could purchase boats) are more inclined to live in a larger cities/apartment buildings/want less responsibilities/part of a subscription/lease society so that means they do NOT have the means or desire to collect property they are responsible for...maybe I'm over thinking this but this is only my anecdotal experiences I see impacting running boats and other hobbies I have that are similar
    Last edited by Aaronhl; 03-12-2023 at 12:43 PM.

18. Thanks Instigator, rgsauger thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator, Lake X Kid, JR IN JAX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went on a tour of my old university’s engineering facility last year as part of my class’s 40th. There is a lot more hands on work than in my day, and they teach the students about tools. Great math skills will get a student into engineering school, but a good engineer has some mechanical feel. And now they are trying to facilitate that. Presumably because math and video game skills are insufficient.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never did I think that I would have the money in toys that I love "boats, bikes, cars, sleds, side X sides, motor-homes", but I never thought that I would make the money that we have been able to either. Its all relative but for the guy that is an employee and can't increase his income to match his uncontrollable expense increases as they come- "They are screwed". I just thanked my dad again a few days ago for always preaching to me that free enterprise and self employment is the only way to get ahead. If you do work for someone else, get your pay tied into productivity and bottom line. Never should you not have a bonus or something that is within your control of achieving to get you ahead when you put forth the effort to make it happen.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    And what you end up with could be called a Bayliner.
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have invented the world; WE see

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast