Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear Darris developed the 200XS SS for the Allison SS, GS, and 20' XB's. If I remember correctly, an Allison was on the Merc brochure for the 200XS. It's a great motor, guess it was ahead of it's time, because now all the guys moaning aboot 4 strokes are basically describing the 200XS as what they wish Merc still made. But it didn't sell very well during it's run.

If you can get your hands on one of Hydromotives "knob cut" choppers, give it a try. It was so smooth and consistent on my XB2002, was my favorite wheel.

2. Likes mikesufka liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 200XS ROS cost more then a 300XS and had no warranty. It's no wonder it did not sell. Despite no warranty, the compressor on mine was replaced under warranty or recall before I bought it.

I do have a 28 T4X that I like, but have not strung out for speed yet. The Knob Cut has a good reputation, but they don't come up for sale. if I see a cheap chopper, maybe I can send it to Hydromotive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would argue the sum of the parts (SS mid/ clamp, lightweight alien hood, etc) were worth the added expense. To make a shorty 300XS would be the apples/ apples comparison. The 200XS just didn't have a big enough market.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moatorbotin View Post
    Imagine you’ve got a smallish tank? I can stretch 30 gallons out 120-150 miles.

I spend about 75% of my time on LSC and an average day is 76-100 miles and I usually burn 15-20 gallons.

one of these days I’d like to visit muskoka, simcoe, a couple rivers I’ve seen good videos of, you guys have some great boating.
    Come to Muskoka with Hellbents [also from Michigan] for a Sun. morn. run/weekend!

6. Likes moatorbotin, hellbents-10 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I would argue the sum of the parts (SS mid/ clamp, lightweight alien hood, etc) were worth the added expense. To make a shorty 300XS would be the apples/ apples comparison. The 200XS just didn't have a big enough market.
    There were two different 200XS motors. The Gen 1 had warranty but only made about 210 hp. The Gen 2 ROS 200XS made about 243 hp and was SS. Merc made sure it would kill the platform by not giving it a 20" option and as was mentioned NO warranty. By the end of the run I think it was race clubs only and $23k ish. The did everything possible to eliminate a great motor for the sportboat market.

Fast forward and still no 3.4 225 "R" even though they easily have all the parts and could give warranty no problem on the four stroke.

8. Likes John S, moatorbotin, Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    There were two different 200XS motors. The Gen 1 had warranty but only made about 210 hp. The Gen 2 ROS 200XS made about 243 hp and was SS. Merc made sure it would kill the platform by not giving it a 20" option and as was mentioned NO warranty. By the end of the run I think it was race clubs only and $23k ish. The did everything possible to eliminate a great motor for the sportboat market.

Fast forward and still no 3.4 225 "R" even though they easily have all the parts and could give warranty no problem on the four stroke.
    I owned a gen 1, forgot that it had warranty. While a little soft on top, it was a great motor. Had I not gotten bitten by the 260 bug, or bought a gen 2 ROS, I would've been happy as peas and carrots. IMO, the ROS was perfect for the small performance boat market. But the day of small go fast boats was at its end. The demand just wasn't there anymore. Majority of the guys I ran with have either moved on, or race a couple times a year with stuff they've had for 10, maybe even 20 years. That says something.

10. Likes mikesufka liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with you mostly because the EPA made it annoying for Merc on the low volume 2.5 Optiis but on the 3.4 four stroke NFW.

Merc has alll the parts and pieces to easily build a somewhat lightweight V6 with a Sporty and warranty. Not "light" but would probably weigh 430-440 lbs and not require a $5,000 prop. If they sold 100, or 10,000 it's the least they could do and it would be a rounding error for COGS and top line.

At least offer the option to consumers and honor the heritage of the company through the past decades. Tuff is doing a cool set up with there new 20 footer and a non factory 3.4.

12. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I owned a gen 1, forgot that it had warranty. While a little soft on top, it was a great motor. Had I not gotten bitten by the 260 bug, or bought a gen 2 ROS, I would've been happy as peas and carrots. IMO, the ROS was perfect for the small performance boat market. But the day of small go fast boats was at its end. The demand just wasn't there anymore. Majority of the guys I ran with have either moved on, or race a couple times a year with stuff they've had for 10, maybe even 20 years. That says something.

Stadola -

You, your Dad, and your brother had some nice XB02’s …

MDS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2