Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jack plate setback too much?

Good morning all. I have been just kicking along on my project 14' glastron clone that I purchased last year, (looks like a Glastron jetflite minus the fiberglass seating and console, + a faux hood scoop that was part of the factory mold, we still dont know what she is) just finishing up paint on the cap and then its time to put her all together. During all the work to the fiberglass, transom, stringers and flooring, I was constantly on the look out for items that I would use or need later in the build. I came across a friend who had a Slidemaster manual jack plate with a 12" setback. I couldnt turn down the price of $80 thinking I could use it on this little 14 foot boat. Now after consideration I am wondering is 12" setback is too much for this little boat. I am currently going to hang a 800 merc that I have on hand on it to see how she does. Max motor I have considered is a 115 merc but not in the plans right now.

Is the 12" setback going to be too much leverage on the transom, and or cause me issues out playing with this little boat?

My goal is to have a fast little boat I can go out and p!ss off some of the younger guys with their bigger boats thinking they are bada$$ hitting just 40 +/- out here on these little lakes we have in Mid-Michigan. Also would like to be able to play around with the grand kids towing a tube now and then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230226_133522.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	423.3 KB 
ID:	515934
    Last edited by fatlenny; 03-03-2023 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with that hull but 12" is a LOT of setback for a little boat. I would start with 4" to none unless you get some proven setup numbers from someone who has the same exact hull.

3. Thanks fatlenny thanked for this post
    Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    I have no experience with that hull but 12" is a LOT of setback for a little boat. I would start with 4" to none unless you get some proven setup numbers from someone who has the same exact hull.
    Ya but, what issues am I looking forward to if I do?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much. If you have a sold transom then it will not hurt the boat. At $80 you don't have much to loose...so some may say just try it. More setback makes the boat sit more bow up at rest naturally...and in most cases more setback is slower than less setback in my experience. However, its not gonna hurt anything. Bolt it on, if you don't like how the boat handles just take it off. But if you are going for max speed right out of the box I would start with less setback and work out.

6. Thanks fatlenny thanked for this post
    Likes fatlenny, David - WI, Jimboat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just wondering if I should just try it, see how it goes or post it for sale and look for another smaller one like suggested. With your last comment, I think I will try it and see how she floats and runs, then make a determination. Its not like I would have to drill more holes in the transom for another jack plate or to mount the motor directly to the transom. Then again maybe I should just run it with no jack plate first. Im so indecisive LOL.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you don't dunk the motor / swamp the boat coming off plane with the weight of the motor hanging that far back (on such a small boat).

Let's just go ahead and make America great again!

9. Likes Dave S liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    More setback moves the center of gravity back towards the transom. On a longer boat (my Checkmate is 24ft and weighs around 3000 lb) and I have 10"of setback for my V8 Merc. The shorter the boat is the more you will move the center of gravity back towards the transom with the same amount of setback. If front of your boat is heavy, you can use more set back as well. If you have too much set back the bow will be too high and the boat will want to porpoise. I have to run full negative trim on mine until it is doiing about 40 mph. People have tried 18" of setback on the same boat as mine and some experiened excessive porpoising. The heavier the motor is, the less setback it will need to move the center of gravity back as far. You could always bolt the motor to the transom, and test it and see how it handles and then install the jack plate and engine and compare the handling, porpoising, etc.

11. Thanks fatlenny thanked for this post
    Likes fatlenny liked this post