Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cowl Seal 812784 needed

​I'm looking for a new cowl seal or a very good used one for my 1990 Mercury V6 150

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cowl Seal Source

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzzy View Post
    ​I'm looking for a new cowl seal or a very good used one for my 1990 Mercury V6 150
    There's nothing mysterious about a Merc cowl seal. it's a glorified version of automotive trunk seal stock. If you can get the dimensions of the bulb or finger lip and the cross section of your old seal, simply match the patterns and buy 20 ft of roll stock. If your old seal was stapled, pull the staples, match length to new stock and install new seal with automotive sealant. Merc used staples rather than adhesives that need time to dry and set.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't removed it yet because I been looking try to find a seal similar but haven't had any luck. The current seal has a couple of bad kink/pinch points in it from the cowl not being reinstalled properly prior to me getting it. I'm ready for paint now so I thought I would give it a shot on here. I didn't want to remove old prior because it will not go back on well at all. I figured the old damaged seal was better than not seal. Maybe someone has source they used for theirs. I appreciate the suggestion and quick response.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinch Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzzy View Post
    I haven't removed it yet because I been looking try to find a seal similar but haven't had any luck. The current seal has a couple of bad kink/pinch points in it from the cowl not being reinstalled properly prior to me getting it. I'm ready for paint now so I thought I would give it a shot on here. I didn't want to remove old prior because it will not go back on well at all. I figured the old damaged seal was better than not seal. Maybe someone has source they used for theirs. I appreciate the suggestion and quick response.
    Put the cowling under the sun for a while and see of the seal will soften enough to remove the creases. Also try a heat gun but be careful with how much heat you apply. If it is a bulb seal you can "stuff it" with a foam core and talcum powder makes stuffing easier to do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried heat gun and even clapped a couple of pcs of aluminum on each side to flatten it out and I'll let it sit over night. It not looking like it going to do a lot because it really harden from age. Sun not an option right now because it cold and rainy here in TN. It's not a bulb type seal. Thanks again