Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2012 brx 2000 has a 6" wide pad, and is a fiberglass liner interior, so no wooden floor/interior parts to rot. It has a 200 verado and runs 68 by myself. Loaded up heavy its around 62mph gps.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brx, more the "modern" styling if you favor that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks sporty

1889 Canandian Edition AE-21
    1998 Mariner 300 Supermag
    Sportmaster 1.62
    CMC Hyd jackplate 10 inch setback

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRS View Post
    Our 2012 brx 2000 has a 6" wide pad, and is a fiberglass liner interior, so no wooden floor/interior parts to rot. It has a 200 verado and runs 68 by myself. Loaded up heavy its around 62mph gps.
    Good to know, the 2000 had a small pad as well. I have a 2020 Pulsare 2400 long deck and it has the same liner that the 2400 BRX has. However, under that liner is a wood floor, plywood stringers, plywood transom knees, a plywood transom, and the entire deck and sides are balsa core. The liner floor has a large removeable panel to give you access to the fuel tank if you had to replace it, and if you get water in the boat it can certainly leak through that area as well as the seat frame bolts. Water in the bilge can also leak under the floor to the stringers because they have drain holes to let water out and into the bilge. So having a liner is certainly plus, and I would be the first to agree a liner boat should better resist wood rot as they age, but if you do not take good care of them, they will never be as sound as a non wood boat. It is still a good idea to carefully inspect a boat that is 10 years old. I have seen boats have that age, that have not been taken care off and had a lot of water intrusion, and had wood that was already comprimised. On the flip side, I have also seen older non-liner boats that were well taken care off, stored inside, and almost as sound as they were when they were built.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tankfloor.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	418.2 KB 
ID:	514134
    The picture is of my 2020 Pulsare 2400 being built in Bucyrus. You can see how much wood is in it and you can hope it was very well encapsulated, and resin used to coat all drilled holes.

5. Likes FMP, JasonRS liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good info

Sportmaster 1.62

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so they all have wood?

Sportmaster 1.62

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the Checkmates ever built in Bucyrus were wood encapsulated boats. If you build them right and seal all drill holes (overall from what I have seen Checkmate did a better job than most other builders in that regard) wood containing boats can last a very long time. I think the biggest factor in their longevity is how well their owners took care of the boats. If you leave a Checkmate (or any boat) outside uncovered or with a cover that leaks rain, you will eventually compromise the wood, even though it was encapsulated with resin and glass.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apexfx View Post
    looks sporty
    Mehh. Like the original lines.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2400 View Post
    Good to know, the 2000 had a small pad as well. I have a 2020 Pulsare 2400 long deck and it has the same liner that the 2400 BRX has. However, under that liner is a wood floor, plywood stringers, plywood transom knees, a plywood transom, and the entire deck and sides are balsa core. The liner floor has a large removeable panel to give you access to the fuel tank if you had to replace it, and if you get water in the boat it can certainly leak through that area as well as the seat frame bolts. Water in the bilge can also leak under the floor to the stringers because they have drain holes to let water out and into the bilge. So having a liner is certainly plus, and I would be the first to agree a liner boat should better resist wood rot as they age, but if you do not take good care of them, they will never be as sound as a non wood boat. It is still a good idea to carefully inspect a boat that is 10 years old. I have seen boats have that age, that have not been taken care off and had a lot of water intrusion, and had wood that was already comprimised. On the flip side, I have also seen older non-liner boats that were well taken care off, stored inside, and almost as sound as they were when they were built.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tankfloor.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	418.2 KB 
ID:	514134
    The picture is of my 2020 Pulsare 2400 being built in Bucyrus. You can see how much wood is in it and you can hope it was very well encapsulated, and resin used to coat all drilled holes.
    Great info there, thanks! The tank in the 2000 is a plastic tank all the way in the back, but the construction is probably very similar! I will say under the ski locker, and everywhere i can see inside the hull is completely coated in white with the red splatter finish. I havent seen the build pics like yours, thats pretty cool!
    Last edited by JasonRS; 01-08-2023 at 01:49 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and is a fiberglass liner interior, so no wooden floor/interior parts to rot.
    There is wood under the liner and in the hull and if water gets in it can rot faster because the liner makes it hard to dry out. Still a sweet boat but keep it dry

OP, the outboard checkmates are not a very deep V, pretty sure they are all 20 degree so they can handle a decent chop but they are certainly not wave crushers.
    2023 Progression 22 w/ 2015 Mercury 300XS. 2018 Kawasaki Ultra LX. 1969 Hustler Wildcat. Gone but not forgotten: 1991 POS GW Invader. 1976 Donzi Hornet II. 1994 Formula 232 LS. 2001 Regal 2660. 1990 Formula 206 LS. 1992 Checkmate Pulse 186 w/ 2003 Mercury 200 EFI. Random assortment of jet skis.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely do my best, i open the compartments and ski locker and everything up and run fans in the shop when i get off the water. Im pretty sure theres still some fiberglass dust in the storage behind the bow cushions lol. I learned some about wood boats with my old Champion bass boat!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely do my best, i open the compartments and ski locker and everything up and run fans in the shop when i get off the water. Im pretty sure theres still some fiberglass dust in the storage behind the bow cushions lol. I learned some about wood boats with my old Champion bass boat!
    I make people dry off before they climb into the boat from the water, lol.

Got my first boat when I was 21 and back then I didn't care but after the first summer I was tired of everything in the boat being wet so the rule went into place.

Since then I've been fanatical about keeping the boat dry and the bilge clean, it is also a pride of ownership thing.
    2023 Progression 22 w/ 2015 Mercury 300XS. 2018 Kawasaki Ultra LX. 1969 Hustler Wildcat. Gone but not forgotten: 1991 POS GW Invader. 1976 Donzi Hornet II. 1994 Formula 232 LS. 2001 Regal 2660. 1990 Formula 206 LS. 1992 Checkmate Pulse 186 w/ 2003 Mercury 200 EFI. Random assortment of jet skis.

14. Likes JasonRS, sonicss33, Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard a rumor that Checkmate may start up again,sure hope so.

Sportmaster 1.62

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse186 View Post
    There is wood under the liner and in the hull and if water gets in it can rot faster because the liner makes it hard to dry out. Still a sweet boat but keep it dry

OP, the outboard checkmates are not a very deep V, pretty sure they are all 20 degree so they can handle a decent chop but they are certainly not wave crushers.
    Yes, the 21ft Pulsare has 19* of deadrise and has a pad, while the 24ft Pulsare has 22* of deadrise with no pad. The 21ft is much lighter and faster. The 24ft is a slower family performance boat. You saw the wood under the floor in my build pictures, but the actual floor in my 2020 model is fiberglass and laminate and so are the seat pedestals. I recall Dean telling me that they removed the wood from those areas a few years before I purchased mine. However, there is still a lot of wood under the liner that you want to keep as dry as possible.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so if they build Checkmate boats again ,would you go with 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

Sportmaster 1.62

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast