Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alien Plastic Cowl Scratch Removal

I have some scratches that I would like to remove from my Plastic cowling and wanted to ask about the process?

Can I do some light sanding and compounding on these cowls to remove scratches?

I was thinking about using some 600 grit for starters, then 1000 and 1200 followed by some bussing with 3M perfect it compound with a buffer?

I wanted to hear from someone that has done this before and what the outcome was?

Thanks in advance!

Stoney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can ya post pics?
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was recently surprised by the amount of damage that can be removed by sanding/buffing a factory cowl. Buddy had a cowl blow off on the highway, told him look for a replacement as pics looked like repair/repaint would be necessary and he could probably find a used one cheaper. He brought it over to the shop to check out and said he was willing to live with a couple of flaws if we could try sanding/buffing. Couple hours later 95% of the damage was gone and he just had to buy a decal package. Your scratch removal process is basically correct; I think I started with a mini DA and 320 grit and ended with 2000 grit hand wetsand before buffing. Buffing compounds are like asking what is the best oil, some guys at my shop like the 3M stuff; I prefer 3D products. Just remember buffing is usually higher RPM to heat the surface to aid in sand scratch removal; while polishing is lower RPM to keep the surface cooler/harder to aid in higher gloss and swirl removal.
    Quartermaster
    XB2002 W/S3000

4. Thanks stoneman thanked for this post
    Likes stoneman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mercury has Cowl Finishing Compound that you can get at your Mercury dealer. It works great and will remove minor scratches. Not sure how it will do on anything major but worth a try. Doesn't mar, damage or discolor the finish around the scratches you are trying to remove. Follow with a good coat of wax.
    2016 Allison Grand Sport
    225 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott in MN View Post
    I was recently surprised by the amount of damage that can be removed by sanding/buffing a factory cowl. Buddy had a cowl blow off on the highway, told him look for a replacement as pics looked like repair/repaint would be necessary and he could probably find a used one cheaper. He brought it over to the shop to check out and said he was willing to live with a couple of flaws if we could try sanding/buffing. Couple hours later 95% of the damage was gone and he just had to buy a decal package. Your scratch removal process is basically correct; I think I started with a mini DA and 320 grit and ended with 2000 grit hand wetsand before buffing. Buffing compounds are like asking what is the best oil, some guys at my shop like the 3M stuff; I prefer 3D products. Just remember buffing is usually higher RPM to heat the surface to aid in sand scratch removal; while polishing is lower RPM to keep the surface cooler/harder to aid in higher gloss and swirl removal.
    Awesome!!!!! Thank you very much for your feedback, great response!!

Stoney