Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Additions to the upcoming site revamp

Hi All,

I've posted several times about the full site overhaul, which should have been nearly finished by now, but the hurricane required me to shift responsibilities. Nevertheless, I want your thoughts on two things that will be implemented when the site is complete, which should be by late-winter or early-spring:

First, the photo gallery is coming back and it will be far better than the outdated design that used to be here. The original gallery was removed a few years ago out of concerns that it could create a vulnerability in the site because of how old it was. When that gallery is added, Of course everybody will be able to set up their own galleries, which can also be used for linking to items for sale and other things. But there will also be sections dedicated to specific boats and engines; for example, a HydroStream gallery, an STV gallery, a Mercury gallery, etc. I'd really like your thoughts on that.

Second, a Wiki-type section on the site, where members can contribute to the content there. That section will, over time, become a database for engine and boat specifications, specific repair guides, and other information. Sort of a way to pool the collective knowledge from you all into a searchable database.

What do you all think? And most importantly, thank you so much for your support.

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gallery was great, and I think brought a lot of people to the site because Google serves up the images when somebody searches for "Grand Sport" or "AE-21" and people click on an image rather than reading text?

Let's just go ahead and make America great again!

3. Likes dgscroggs liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of the wiki a lot, I think its a lot better to have that than have to start a new thread every little bit because someone wants to know something basic about a certain boat they're looking at

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg,

With all you have going on, I have no idea how you can even think about us. That said, those changes - especially the Gallery - are much welcomed!

Tom
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revamp

Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    Hi All,

I've posted several times about the full site overhaul, which should have been nearly finished by now, but the hurricane required me to shift responsibilities. Nevertheless, I want your thoughts on two things that will be implemented when the site is complete, which should be by late-winter or early-spring:

First, the photo gallery is coming back and it will be far better than the outdated design that used to be here. The original gallery was removed a few years ago out of concerns that it could create a vulnerability in the site because of how old it was. When that gallery is added, Of course everybody will be able to set up their own galleries, which can also be used for linking to items for sale and other things. But there will also be sections dedicated to specific boats and engines; for example, a HydroStream gallery, an STV gallery, a Mercury gallery, etc. I'd really like your thoughts on that.

Second, a Wiki-type section on the site, where members can contribute to the content there. That section will, over time, become a database for engine and boat specifications, specific repair guides, and other information. Sort of a way to pool the collective knowledge from you all into a searchable database.

What do you all think? And most importantly, thank you so much for your support.

Greg
    Greg.............you can't do it all by yourself. It may be time to select a few custodians to perform admin oversight over the various topics. I think the rules posted for "buy and sell" need to be applied to these catagories. There has been some truly great sources of technical advice here and I have learned a ton. However, there are those who mount up on their keyboards and produce jibberish. Keeping the two groups separated needs admin "police" with thread deletion authority. Is this site a "chat room" or a wiki library? Keep the 2 stroke and 4 stroke worlds strictly separated regardless of brands, It's almost "racist" (LOL).

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

did somebody say " Bikini's " ? ,,,
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

8. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t remember what year it was that i first discovered hydrostream dot org but it was a loooong time ago. I must have read every article on the history and tech sections 3x over. I always wanted a stream just took forever to get into one and when i bought my first i signed up here where i lurked prior. Since joining? The first rate education on all things boat and speed is a hundred times greater than anything i had previously learned.

With the wiki i agree with above there is a place for tech only articles where any content not tech related does not belong. In the forums disagreements are going to happen it’s part of the aggregate process of discovery and growth and thats where those talks belong. To have a section that is pre filtered for the best tech info only would have been something i would have also read 3x over by now. Great site Greg, even as is its great. S&F is awesome
    Hydrostream dreamin

10. Likes Jimboat, rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wiki is a great idea. I hope your house repair is going well and takes priority.

12. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for everything you do for the hipo boating community Greg. Love the Wiki Idea too.

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

14. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg, what we have is great and anything more is just gravy. Priorities, Sir. First the things that matter…then the things that entertain.

thank you for this site!
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

16. Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David - WI View Post
    The gallery was great, and I think brought a lot of people to the site because Google serves up the images when somebody searches for "Grand Sport" or "AE-21" and people click on an image rather than reading text?
    How I found scream and fly !!
    2003 mirage ski racer with e-tec power

18. Thanks David - WI thanked for this post
    Likes David - WI liked this post