Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Merc V-12 ... 1260 pounds. I'll bet that's dry, hanging from a hook with no cowl ..

When asking a merc company man .. why would you make a motor for such a limited base .. ???? They will tell you (if they are being honest) we make more money off of one of them than we could .. from selling a half a dozen 250 hp / 3.4L Greg G. specials ..

I worked @ Yamaha bike dealerships in the early 1980's. They made a good quality product. I doubt that has changed, even in this day and age.
    The problem I remember them having is targeting middle of the road markets. The dirt bikes were great .. but not everyone wants to ride a road race bike or a Harley wanna-be, with ape hangers. Even though, I imagine they still sold a lot of each.
    If they ever decided to take merc on in the Hi-Po market place, lord knows they have the money to do so ..

Being more of a do-it-yourselfer .. I was serious about the price of kits and even turn-key units ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    What's not to like? Things are fookin badass.
    I think in fairness the only thing not to like is the weight of them.

Doesn't seem to be as big of an issue for the tunnel/modvp/stv/mirage/skater type hulls, but for the allisons, triads, hydrostreams they are just too heavy.

If my V-21 would tolerate it, I see no reason NOT to switch to a 4 stroke. But, the only one I saw rigged with a 4 stroke I read took the 4 stroke back off.

Probably going to have to buy a bigger boat just to get a newer motor

3. Likes John S liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moatorbotin I get it. But I also understand the boats were talking aboot supporting with new, lightweight motors have been out of production for over a decade, and they're a niche market at that. My friends bought a drag rotator years ago. It, a long with some 280 rotators had been on mercs shelf for almost 3 years. That kinda tells you where the demand is. The good news is there's still plenty of good 2.5 stuff to put together and build strong motors. I've seen a few modified promaxes hurt some 280 guys feelings. If I were in your shoes, that's the direction I would go.

5. Likes Greg G liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2