Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Left hand propeller pitched different then right

So I've got my props at the shop having vent holes drilled. The props are a set of 22p bravo ones that i had re pitched to 21 a few years back. I mentioned to the guy that my counter rotating motor is always lower in rpm compared to my right hand motor, would it be crazy to pitch them different. He says all left hand propellers tend to run a less in pitch then what's actually stamped on them because the counter gearcase takes a bit more power, making a weaker engine.

So the question is simple. Is all the bs about a left hand gearcase robbing power true or just internet nonsense? I have posted many, long and boring threads regarding why my left engine is simply weaker then my right and honestly there is nothing wrong with it. The right powerhead was just rebuilt and the left has unknown hours so I've just accepted it makes less power, although the compression is identical to the newer powerhead. At wot I'm getting 63mph, 5800 on the left, 6100 on the right. the right engine could plane the boat off by itself, the left can not.

Could I just run a 22p on the right and a 21p on the left and be done with this already? would that be ridiculous? prop shop guy doesn't think so... I'm not convinced.

the outboards are 1998 250 EFI. modules, cdms, wire harnesses, etc. has been swapped between the 2 outboards, gear ratios checked. Injectors cleaned, reed valves, bleed hoses and stators all replaced. tps sensors set to 1.09v both motors. new intake air temp sensors, coolant temp sensors swapped between them. fuel pump diaphragms checked, vapor separators cleaned, fuel pressure regulators checked and swapped between outboards. whatever i swap, the problem never follows. any yes... ql77cc. Also both upper and lower crank seals replaced, exhaust plates pulled and cleaned all the goopy poopy exhaust relief holes out, new powerhead gaskets.

I'm about to put 2 new key switches in again(been about 6 years) and that will be the last thing worth replacing before i pull the trigger on mismatching props. Am i going crazy here or what!
    Last edited by chevy355mark; 10-05-2022 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to believe the lower units could be that much different.
    Are you sure the props aren't mismatched now? I would probably either borrow a different set of props to test with or have yours scanned?

Did you ever swap the gearcases from one motor to the other?

Let's just go ahead and make America great again!

3. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never swapped the cases, I've contemplated swapping the tachometers but they both idle at the correct rpm and sound the same at idle, plus the lazy engine has noticeably less throttle response so I really don't think its a false reading.

The guy checked the pitch, they are pretty much right on a 21p each. What he's saying is that in his experience, when he checks the pitch on an original mercury left hand prop, it comes in under pitch. where as my re pitched props actually match as apposed to the left being slightly under what its sold as. does this make sense, sorry to over complicate.

my opinion is that the lefty gearcase could only drag an insignificant amount of power... my boat is a million years old and has had a lot of fiberglass work below the deck in its 50 plus years. its more likely in my mind that the hull bottom is wavy, has pockets and irregularities that may effect one side more then the other. the drives are very high for a fishing boat, possibly to the point where the irregular hull bottom may have a significant affect in how much water is feeding either outboard, one may get better or worse inlet water, i don't really know... just a thought. still, seems insignificant talking about several hundred rpms.

would swapping the gearcases be worth my while. beyond just swapping them for diagnostic purposes, my understanding and moving the left hand case to the starboard side would provide more stern lift, is this correct?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've got a 4' long piece of 1"x 1" aluminum box that i welded a little flag on it that's marked every quarter of an inch .. to set motor height. I guess you could hold a tape measure while someone else held the box. Quick, cheap and easy way to check height.
    I've got another one for checking tow-in.
    Water pressure is another way to see what your set-up is doing on the fly.

Make sure it's not the set-up first. I had a few different set's I ran that were the exact same.

I bought a set of props (new) that were 400 rpm different from each other. I took them to a local friend who put them on his pitch blocks and said they were off a bit. I left them there and they put the rawhide hammer on them.

Tried them again, they were 300 rpm different. I made a poster board trace of one of the blades. The other three blades on the same prop had slight variations from my template.
    When I checked the other wheel, the cord length (front to back) of the blades about mid-way were aprox 3/8" longer than the other prop.
    I found my smallest blade and made a new template .. then made them all match that one. I took them back to my friend, he checked them on his blocks again as well as balanced them.
    I still have them, they work good and run the same rpm, whether in cruising 3 - 4000 rpm or wide open .. this is also with 3.0L motors.

Nothing wrong with a L/H lower unit. Still straight cut gears, just that the carrier is beefed up (big azz washer) to become the new .. forward.
    Last edited by Chaz; 10-06-2022 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Had a senior moment :-)

6. Likes Dave S, David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What he said.
    Seems odd that your engines are running exactly 1" off pitch different from one another.

Let's just go ahead and make America great again!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well ill go ahead and try them out with the vent holes, that should eliminate any drive height differences getting on plane, wont make a difference at wot of course.

Ill take a much much closer look at the blades, I purchased them used separately, not as a set. that was the main reason i had them re pitched, was to make sure they matched. both are in good shape, not worn down junkers. They made these props for so many years, maybe they are of a different run of castings and maybe ill find some difference in blade size or something noticeable. both being unvented, flo torque hubs, both reading mercury as apposed to mercruiser, id assume that kind of narrows them down roughly the same production run. Who knows, lots of speculation happening here. If this all ends in me being to stupid to thoroughly look at my props ill be the first to admit I'm the idiot whos been chasing nothing for nearing 3 years now lol.

9. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...left hand speedmaster f-1 boats powerheads...which rotation are they charles?...
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 10-05-2022 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FUGI ,

My hand is in the air .. and I corrected my post ..

I noticed you said nothing about 95% of my post ..

And concentrated on the other 5% (which btw does turn left, no matter the source)

Charles = thinkin, in Tuesday morning quarterback times like these .. my new nik-name for you is FUGICUDA ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...sorry chuck...my apologies...i know better, than to poke the bear...
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 10-06-2022 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Funny thing happened, I stopped drinking alky in the late 1980's . Instead, I bought it by the drum and started putting it in the tank ... and Chucky quickly disapated ..

I did see that he can still be found .. if you look close enough ...

My apology to you as well.

No man should ever have CRUDLY attached to their honorable name ...

Chaz = thinkin, I could use a few of them hair plugs Chucky has ... right about now ..

14. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chuck_E_Cheese-logo-37AD7EEEFA-seeklogo.com.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	510820

Chuck E. Cheese…

Chucky Chaz…

if we’re all honest, it’s not really that much of a stretch…

besides, has anyone ever seen them together at the same time? Hmmmmmmm? Inquiring minds want to know…

Last edited by rgsauger; 10-07-2022 at 07:55 PM.
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This weekend you could find me @ my restaurant on Hutchenson island ..

But more times than not .. you can find me making pizza dough in Palm City ...

Knowing you're of the helping type, I wanted to give you a job .. seems there is way more than one Raul Gonzalez Sanchez .. at the same place, at one time ...

17. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...i know hutchinson chaz. which restaurant?...
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 10-09-2022 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Marriott .. East Ocean, across the ditch (intercoastal) turn right ..

Saturday night banquet ... rubber airline chicken .. $55.00 a copy ..
    (actually, it wasn't that bad)

Company was excellent ....

20. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m number one! I’m number one! I’m number one!

Chaz, if that’s your girlfriend, then you are a dirty old man! If that is your daughter, she must be adopted because she is a little doll!

Or…Mrs Chaz is also a little doll and this one takes after her momma!
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast