Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That work for a big bearing case? In fact what all tools are needed to rebuild a big bearing lower?
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The part number for the nut he listed is not a big bearing case.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    That work for a big bearing case? In fact what all tools are needed to rebuild a big bearing lower?
    You need a spanner wrench for the carrier retainer nut, a driveshaft nut tool, a shift shaft bushing tool, a driveshaft spline adapter so you can torque the pinion nut, a pinion nut holder or a 7/8" wrench, a torque wrench, a feeler gauge, a driveshaft preload tool, the pinion depth tool and some Prussian blue. Plus either some experience OR the rest of the tools merc says you need like the flag and dial indicator tool for setting the fwd gear backlash.

Those items above are a MUST. There are other tools out there too that help.

6. Thanks David - WI, LakeFever thanked for this post
    Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    You need a 1.spanner wrench for the carrier retainer nut, a driveshaft nut tool, a shift shaft bushing tool, a driveshaft spline adapter so you can torque the pinion nut, a pinion nut holder or a 7/8" wrench, a torque wrench, a feeler gauge, a driveshaft preload tool, the pinion depth tool and some Prussian blue. Plus either some experience OR the rest of the tools merc says you need like the flag and dial indicator tool for setting the fwd gear backlash.

Thanks for the detailed reply i appreciate it. I've been building stuff my whole life I have a shop thats tooled up well minus a lathe and mill I have most everything else. Mostly metal work/welding fab here. Aside from work as a side hustle I fabricate racing diffs so I have many years experience setting ring and pinions I get the process I simply dont have the Merc tools to work on one of these yet. Looks like this is what I need

1. spanner wrench for the carrier retainer nut - This looks too complicated to fab up for the hundred bucks it would cost will source one
    2. driveshaft nut tool - This sounds like something that could be whipped up pretty easy
    3. shift shaft bushing tool - I'll have to do more homework here I dont know what this is but maybe able to fab something here
    4. driveshaft spline adapter - I saw a few posts here using a socket and taper bearing needles worked for this. NZ sidewinder guy posted about it as well as Chaz
    5. 7/8 wrench - got it
    6. torque wrench - got it
    7. feeler gauge - got em
    8. Pinion depth tool - will need to source this unless this can be measured?
    9. Prussian blue - got it
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shift shaft bushing tool would be EASY to make. Pinion depth tool, not so much. However, I have seen them made by using an old propshaft and a ring the size of the carrier, then a block of steel that is the perfect depth as mercury's block. Its a pain to make, but if you really wanted to you could.

You forgot the preload tool in your list. That is critical to setting the pinion depth. It could be easily made with a big spring, a steel plate and some other sleeves+set screws

9. Thanks LakeFever thanked for this post
    Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 52699 bearing carrier nut is for a XR6 lower unit. The inside of the nut is 86.4mm. Marine Tech only makes a 83mm and 87mm wrench. I plan to take my 87mm to a machine shop and get them to cut .5-6mm off of the outside. I will also give them a nut to use as reference.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one I posted should work for the xr6 which is the nut that you posted the part number to. You may find the 87mm wrench they sell is actually undersized and fits your nut, cause I don't know of anyone else who made a nut close to the xr6 but just a half mm bigger. It would be stupid of them to make a wrench that fits nothing. I have ordered those wrenches that say they fit the 4-1/4" gearcase and they all fit the xr6, inline 6 and inline 4 merc gearcases. But if you find it doesnt fit then take a grinder with a flapper wheel and just touch each prong on the outside and it will fit. It doesn't have to be a machine matched fit, it just has to fit inside the carrier nut. Remember all the load will be going on the side of the prong not outwards.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retainer Nut Issues

Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    You need a spanner wrench for the carrier retainer nut, a driveshaft nut tool, a shift shaft bushing tool, a driveshaft spline adapter so you can torque the pinion nut, a pinion nut holder or a 7/8" wrench, a torque wrench, a feeler gauge, a driveshaft preload tool, the pinion depth tool and some Prussian blue. Plus either some experience OR the rest of the tools merc says you need like the flag and dial indicator tool for setting the fwd gear backlash.

If your case has spent considerable time in salt water, The nut can become impacted with salt crystals in the threads. Be careful with the wrench as too much force can actually crack the case. If it's really stubborn, cut the ring nut into segments and chip them out of the case. Far cheaper than cracking the case!

13. Likes 25two.stroke liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Zebe is correct. Drill the nut so it will break. I also let them sit in transmission fluid for a day before trying.
    Probably overkill ... But I made mine with a tooth for a tooth and a 1/2" drive, 12" out from center. makes it a lot easier to get to 200 ft/lbs of torque .. just gotta do a lil maff ..

I also made an aluminum bushing to let the prop shaft support the tool ... or me, so I don't slip .. and fall over .. err .. marr up some brand new parts ..

15. Likes LakeFever, MattGreen, David Borg liked this post