Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bonding moments ... and missed opportunities.

Pleasure boating is a convertible lifestyle on water.

It creates memorable moments with family and friends. With boats, like you guys, I have water skied, snorkeled, fished, and went swimming. Social activities on water under the blue-sky canopy, with family reunions, church groups, and school buddies enjoying the bonding moments.

Most of us were introduced to water activities by family members. My introduction started before the ubiquitous cell phone era, at the time when color TV was a new tech fad. My dad’s side of the family was outdoors people — hunting & fishing, and boat racing.

When I was a youngster, central Florida was to a certain degree an open access landscape. Therein, my grandparents and mom and dad, and another couple would take several boats down the Kissimmee River. (This was before, the Corps of Engineers started to dig the river into a straight canal). And then pitch their tents, eat and have conversation around the campfire under the starry night.

So reflecting back, I see adventures on the water have enhanced my relationships with family and friends. The water experience is a natural setting, worth preserving for the generations to come.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have canoed alone in the swamp and small creeks. But spending time on the water with others is more fulfilling.

And here is a missed opportunity of sharing water time with others. I took my dad’s little fishing boat out on the river for a pleasure ride. Arriving back at the dock, I go to get the truck. Only the locals know of this small public dock location. However, standing on the dock is two little brothers (probably 5 & 7 years old) with their mom (and maybe she’s a single mom).

And I could see that forlorn look on the boy’s faces that, it’s probably exciting to be cruising in a boat. But they probably are not going to have, that opportunity in their young lives.
    And this is my missed opportunity, wherein to this day, I am still disappointed in myself. I was in no hurry to get home, nor was my brother who was with me.

I could have been the guy, which would have given those boys their first ride in a boat. I fondly remember at a young age, like them, when dad let me operate and drive the 20 horse Merc outboard. It was my missed opportunity to uplift, for a fleeting moment, the spirit of those little guys with a boat ride. If the opportunity presents itself again, I will surely welcome aboard any youthful smiles, for a joy ride on the water.

~~~~~
    Similar to motoring up to a dock, and seeing these two day-dreaming boys looking for adventure.

3. Likes KIRCHNER, Shaun K liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same life different place, it was good wasn't it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3208.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	510422

Name:	IMG_3210.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	286.0 KB 
ID:	510423

Name:	IMG_3211.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	355.5 KB 
ID:	510424

5. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got into boating when our now 12 year old girl was born. She has an eight year old sister too that came along during our development as a boating family. Boating swimming fishing picnicking is one of those things that literally the whole family can enjoy equally. Enjoy them while you can and boating maximizes that experience.

I used to race cars (road racing). Not much for the girls to do in that.

-Peter
    "padded wonder"
    17' boston whaler alert, 90 merc fourstroke
    13' boston whaler, 40hp yamaha

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5
    1993 mustang/griggs racing road race car
    and a handful of clunkers

7. Likes Lake X Kid, rgsauger liked this post