Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

23p Tempest Plus to 21p Trophy Plus for heavy load/summer prop. Sell or Work?

I have a 1999 Procraft 180Bass with a 1999 Mercury XR6 (carb'd) on a bobs hydraulic jackplate turning a 23p Tempest Plus. I've had a local prop guy dress up the tempest and add some cupping once since ive owned this boat and i can't say enough good things about the all around performance of the tempest year round while fishing alone. I can cruise all day long at 50mph turning 4400-4500rpms and sometimes touch 61mph at 5500rpms. The only time this prop becomes a problem is during the dog days of summer tournament fishing with a co-angler, all his gear, and full livewells. Naturally this prop loads up my old carb'd XR6 a little more than im comfortable with. Time to find a 4 blade summer/heavy load prop...

So, i found a relatively clean 21p Trophy Plus on eBay at a good price and decided to give it a try. It came with large PVS plugs and i added the blow-out ring. Holeshot with this prop and the large PVS plugs is really terrible and requires almost 4000rpm to get up on step. (Im going to test again with solid plugs) From there it seems like i could spin this prop to the moon and at 4400rpms im only getting 42mph. Aside from that, i really love the way my boat handles with this prop and i really love that i can actually jack up my bobs jackplate as high as my water pressure allows. (With my tempest, my boat falls flat on its face if i jack up my jackplate more than an inch). Ive tested this prop with empty and full livewells and it makes no difference to rpms and doesnt load my motor up at all which is exactly what i was hoping for, but i feel like im leaving a lot on the table performance wise and i'm underpropped.

My question is, should i sell this prop and look for a 22p or 23p trophy plus? Or, is it worth having this 21p worked to a 22p with added cup? How much is there to gain from being worked? Is the juice worth the squeeze? I totally understand sacrificing mph that comes with switching to a 4 bladed prop but 42mph at 4400rpms is just to inefficient.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trophy 2.jpg   Trophy 1.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pitch is fine, something is wrong with the trophy. They usually get up out of the hole and run great. Try filling the plugs and see what it does. Try a Mercury revolution 4 in 21" if you can get your hands on one. A 4 blade will generally do a lot better carrying a load and mid range over a 3 blade.

3. Thanks ProXR6 thanked for this post
    Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt j View Post
    The pitch is fine, something is wrong with the trophy. They usually get up out of the hole and run great. Try filling the plugs and see what it does. Try a Mercury revolution 4 in 21" if you can get your hands on one. A 4 blade will generally do a lot better carrying a load and mid range over a 3 blade.

Thanks for the reply, and turns out you're correct about the trophy. I just dropped it off to my prop guy and he pointed out some weird drooping on the leading edge of the blades. He's going to dress it up for me and add some cupping to the blades. Also, i just ordered some solid pvs plugs. My prop guy seems to think it should be a night and day difference. We shall see.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know how it works out for you.

I didn't have much luck with a 26p trophy on a Champion or Bullet (no blowout ring or pvs plugs). Slippage was extreme at all speeds, unless motor was mounted high.
    Propshaft above the bottom of boat is what it took to make mine work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OnPad View Post
    Let us know how it works out for you.

I didn't have much luck with a 26p trophy on a Champion or Bullet (no blowout ring or pvs plugs). Slippage was extreme at all speeds, unless motor was mounted high.
    Propshaft above the bottom of boat is what it took to make mine work.
    Ill definitely report back, but my prop guy has been super busy so the turn around time is TWO WEEKS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Late to this thread, but FWIW to those that come later, I have a Sprint 289 F&S (19' v hull) with a 2001 Merc XR6 150 and a Trophy Plus 21P; similar hull, same motor, same prop.

My hole shot is great (with proper trimming), and the engine will run at 5800+ at WOT at ~53 mph depending on conditions. It is a good all-around prop so I believe it when the bad prop shaping above is mentioned.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The function of the small barrel on the trophy is to allow some slip in order to spool up the engine. I have several, and all of them slip, the r's go up and then it hooks and goes. Similar to what a chopper does. Only way to change that is to remove the can and have above water exhaust.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct, i have open exhaust running a trophy26, jacked up high, great hole shot with 0 trim. looking for a 24, but used ones cant be sure if its been worked, on some its obvious to me, others you never know. there not pretty, but sure run good. often the seller doesnt know the history, its a gamble.