Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help, Bravo 1 prop suitable for 150hp yay or nay?

Hey guys, humor me on this one...

I'm running a 2-stroke Evinrude G1 E-tec 150 (4,75" lower unit) on a 19ft old racing hull, is this engine and a Bravo 1 a likely (or even realistic) combination to work? Engine is as high as possible while still using the stock lower units cooling intakes.
    Photo of the boat is attached at the bottom, I don't really know how to describe the hull type other than an 80's Nitra but about 3ft shorter?

The stock version with its 15 1/4" diameter feels way too big for the engine to be able to spin at proper RPM, unless there would be godly amounts of lift reducing the hull drag in the water to virtually zero.

I then found the OC variant that would reduce the diameter to be closer in line with the Tempest & Raker props and thought that might work better?

I snowed into the Bravo 1 as it was recommended by the guy at the marina who rebuilt my stringers and flooring after his test drive, as the boat chine walked fairly harshly he suggested trying this prop stabilize the ride while keeping the performance losses to a minimum.

Is there a method to the madness or should i stop deluding myself in thinking this would actually work?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joker 19.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	454.2 KB 
ID:	509108

//Joker19

2. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent a chunk of this morning water skiing behind a Gen 1 150 HO running a 22 Raker. If I were spending your money I would try Raker, Renegade, Trophy, in that order. Renegade before Trophy just because used OMC props are often cheap

4. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been running 17-19 ft V-hulls since the 1980's. When I ran OMC motors I liked the Raker the best for most uses, although I also ran the old OMC chopper props and they were excellent if you didn't mind taking awhile to get the ptop hooked up- like run her to 4000 rpm and wait for the prop to digest the air bubble! I now run Mercs and the best prop I've found to keep the chine walk down is the Trophy Plus. Thus, I fully agree with David's post above. In general, I've found that the smaller the prop diameter and blade area, the less chine walk. My best prop currently is a Trophy Plus with reduced blade area via a 1/4 inch leading edge cut and added tip cup.

I don't think the Bravo props are a good choice for you. But if you try one- please post how it works out.
    Doug

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I spent a chunk of this morning water skiing behind a Gen 1 150 HO running a 22 Raker. If I were spending your money I would try Raker, Renegade, Trophy, in that order. Renegade before Trophy just because used OMC props are often cheap
    David, sorry for the slow response, my e-mail categorized the notification as spam...
    Where I live in northern Europe the only props I can find from the OMC era are the Rakers, can't find a renegade if my life depended on it.
    I managed to get a package deal on an OMC Raker and a Tempest+ in good condition from an old racer. They should arrive sometime this week and IŽm hoping I will have the time to get out this weekend and do some trail runs!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staylor View Post
    I've been running 17-19 ft V-hulls since the 1980's. When I ran OMC motors I liked the Raker the best for most uses, although I also ran the old OMC chopper props and they were excellent if you didn't mind taking awhile to get the ptop hooked up- like run her to 4000 rpm and wait for the prop to digest the air bubble! I now run Mercs and the best prop I've found to keep the chine walk down is the Trophy Plus. Thus, I fully agree with David's post above. In general, I've found that the smaller the prop diameter and blade area, the less chine walk. My best prop currently is a Trophy Plus with reduced blade area via a 1/4 inch leading edge cut and added tip cup.

I don't think the Bravo props are a good choice for you. But if you try one- please post how it works out.
    Doug
    Doug,

Both you & David are most likely correct, the Bravo is with 99.99% chance too big and the wrong propeller for the occasion, and the OC-version which would be closer to the size I think would make it work is too much money just to get on a whim without a solid test at first.
    I'll look around for a Trophy for sure to test and see how the she behaves, hopefully i can still go fast while simultaneously not being thrown around like a ragdoll.
    I did get a good combo deal on an old Raker and a Tempest that I'm hoping to test this weekend first though.

I might see if I can get either a good deal or maybe borrow a Bravo 1 for a test just to confirm that it is indeed ill-fitted for my boat, "youŽll never know until you try it" as the old saying goes, even though it might be asinine at this point...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to work for a Swedish company and I visited Sweden maybe half a dozen times in the 90s. There wasn’t much daylight in the winter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a Trophy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Raker and Raker 2 are great props for that range, they tend to run slightly higher in pitch than stated; meaning a 24" Raker 2 performs more like a 25" or 26". Trophy might also be good.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on a sample size of one, the Raker 2 runs higher than advertised. My brother's Allison Grandsport has a 150HO and runs 72 with a 24 Raker. That works out to zero slip per a prop calculator, which is not possible per my university fluid dynamics course - not that I am capable of proving that mathematically anymore.

12. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Based on a sample size of one, the Raker 2 runs higher than advertised. My brother's Allison Grandsport has a 150HO and runs 72 with a 24 Raker. That works out to zero slip per a prop calculator, which is not possible per my university fluid dynamics course - not that I am capable of proving that mathematically anymore.
    Pitches are just theoretical. Your brother should be getting quite a bit more out of a GS with a 150. Great combo though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    72 mph and he can pull out on one ski with both feet in the bindings. I would try some props to see what it can do. He may not. A bigger prop won’t ski as well. Running faster once just to show its possible might not be in the cards.

15. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    72 mph and he can pull out on one ski with both feet in the bindings. I would try some props to see what it can do. He may not. A bigger prop won’t ski as well. Running faster once just to show its possible might not be in the cards.
    For skiing, that's fine. I could run mine with a 28" Promax with 5 people, cooler, mid 70s, 78 solo. Needed the 30 to get to 80. That was a 150 fourstroke.