User Tag List

Page 9 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 59 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun K View Post
    I would have a beer with anybody regardless of beliefs.
    That's really what this should all be aboot. There have been a lot of posts for/against EV that I respect. It's not an all or nothing game. Every single power source has its plusses and minuses. It's when the political bs comes in that it inevitably becomes a **** throwing contest. I work in electrical construction, and enjoy both ICE and EV tech. Subject doesn't have to stay with exact OP topic, as all threads move around. But really, we should all just keep it to light hearted back and forth banter, preferably with links. The grid conversation is a lot more complicated than some understand. EV's are just one part of it that has to be solved, and some **** all smart people are at work on it as we speak.

And it looks like Toyota is more on the bandwagon that first thought. They are some sneaky f'ers.

Electrek.co: Toyota changes tune on EV demand, triples funding for US battery plant.
    https://electrek.co/2022/08/31/toyot...battery-plant/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    How’s that new Tesla truck drive cuda? You pre ordered two years ago right?
    They are sticking all the batteries in the model Y, they can't scale up battery production to supply the models they all ready produce

That's why the semi is backed up also can't make enough batteries fast enough, new factories going up to make them, Tesla has made

over 3 million cars so far.

Over 1 million in China alone, The German plant is just cranking up, Texas just came on line in April, looking to make 2 million cars in one year.
    We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wettek View Post
    Big deal. There are lots of ships running around the world that have electric motors driving propellers, a lot of them a hell of a lot bigger than this. They all use fossil fuels to run their generators to provide the electricity. Diesel, gas turbine, boilers to drive steam turbines, all to turn generators, whatever, they still use fossil fuels to make that electricity.

60 years no problems

https://youtu.be/I0VWh-Ctq3w

https://youtu.be/rTGL6TAvwcU
    We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess if it's on YouTube it must be unbiased and factual.
    Last edited by wettek; 08-31-2022 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll bet that the hold out's that wanted to ride a horse, instead of a horseless cartage ... didn't have a left-tard corrupt administration threatening to ban the sale of oats.

No, they waited until roads were made better, fuel became available from coast to coast and vehicle reliability overcame the time, money and effort of riding a horse.

Just basic common sense stuff.

The idea of .. hey Trump showed us that we could be energy independent, that the price of gas was would continue to come down, that we didn't need or want to import poison from china .. was just too much for some to handle.

Gabby Newscum stated that no new gas vehicles would be allowed for sale in California in ten years .. while at the same time the California energy commissioner warned not to charge electric vehicles or to run AC's below 78*, not use water heaters or ovens. Honestly, you just can't make up stupidity .. that's worse than that.

I paid $17,000 for my truck. It starts and runs good every day. Easily cruises 10 over the speed limit .. anywhere. in the country. Pulled two different boats to the keys multiple times ..

My ego would need to be big as a house .. or I would need to be a special kind of stupid to sell / trade it in on it's $150,000 replacement.

Ten week from now .. stop the steal / flush the swamp / stop the idiots from ruining this country .. pressuring the world. Send them packin .. so we can get back to being great again !

Chaz = thinkin, if you have a electric motor the size of a van .. your gonna need a battery the size of a C-130 to run it .. but then, only a fool would think that's a good idea ..

Seventy years later .. same junk, same issue ...

Une Zeta .. battery iz fookin dead .. ine zo are vee .. Dunkoff's ..

6. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that in 10 years, we'll have new technology to hold energy for our home/electric vehicle needs where we won't need to connect to the grid (same idea as mainframes computers to PC's to handheld computers, yes our cell phone)

currently it looks like this ..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tesla_powerwall.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	509363

in 10 years? might look like this ..

Name:	navatech.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	509364

8. Likes John S liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the funny thing about technology whether its energy storage or electric motor technology ... is that although we don't know what us humans will design in the near future , us humans can draw a graph based on historical data and be able to predict (quite accurately) what will be in the not so distant future ..

here is a forward looking graph into the future of our ability to increase energy storage installations which holds higher energy density

today the number of installations equate to under 25 gigawatts of power .. by 2030 we'll be in the 350 gigawatts of energy installations holding stored energy

Name:	gigastorage.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	509367

10. Likes John S liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, see... before the buffon in DC was elected we weren't paying up the nose, nor was anything fuel related supporting Russia. I'm curious, have you ever looked into where the materials for those EV batteries comes from? Not exactly American made. I've driven an ev on several occasions and they drive fine just like any other car, it's funny you say as fast as a corvette because if you drive them hard, they get next to no range at all, their worst selling point some would say. I also agree that for most people an ev would make sense for their daily commute, the vehicles aren't my issue, it is the way it is being done and the fact that our power grid can't even keep up with what we have sucking energy now, adding thousands if not millions of ev to that pull will just not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
    Why are you guys so fiercely defending your ICE cars? I guess you like paying up the nose for fuel and supporting Russia and the middle east. Have you ever driven an EV? They are all not Tesla expensive. Starting prices are $25k for some manufacturers. Wouldn't you like to drive a car the gets the equivalent of 125 MPG and is fast as a Corvette? There will always be a place for gas and diesel autos for a long time. I am just saying the world is changing and for most driving the EV's make a lot of sense.
    STV Pro Comp Ski| 200 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately these days you can't just sit down and have a beer with somebody because people have come to believe they are better and must force their beliefs on you whether it is thru a govt or something as stupid as a home owners association. For them the time of live and let live has passed. Electric cars/boats are a perfect example rather than simply let people be they choose to create laws forcing you to get rid of that 2 stroke (lakes etc) or not offer a combustion engine for sale.

When cars first came along there were many trials that they faced working to prove it was a viable reliable vehicle. These trials were not regulated by the govt but competition between manufactures to see who could build the best most reliable vehicle. The same was true for shipping as steam was developed to be replaced by diesel. The first steamship to sail across the Atlantic ended up burning much of the ship in order to make it! Could you imagine an electric car race (passenger not off road vehicles) essentially off road in winter from NY to Paris (ferried from AK to Russia)? Currently electric boats are a novelty, they need to compete against each other in ways that no combustion powered boat could begin to just as the automobile replaced the horse and steam replaced sail.

13. Likes Noah Burns, VkingMike liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Burns View Post
    if you drive them hard, they get next to no range at all.
    As it turns out my 200XS ROS can burn fuel in a hurry at top speed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd wager your range is better than any electric boat... and if you are in the middle of the lake and happen to run out of fuel, someone can bring you some or if you carry it with you, just refill that bad boy... you think you will/would/could have the same luxury with an electric outboard?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    As it turns out my 200XS ROS can burn fuel in a hurry at top speed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think electric boats make any sense for me yet. I have an SS2000 and our family has a J Craft for skiing. Both have direct injected two strokes. I think that's the best technology for outboards, but I am done with shouting at clouds. The world has gone 4 stroke. Get over it, or give it a rest.

For cars, it takes more energy to make an electric car, but the overall life balance is much better for the electric car. Few of us use our boats enough to shift the lifetime balance to electric. And the battery weight penalty is a lot more severe in a boat then in a car. This below reviews energy to make a car, and emissions from mining and oil production. The winner for cars is electric. Boats are not discussed, but given a hundred hours of use a year, it would take more than my lifetime to shift the boat balance to electric.

Are Electric Cars Worse For The Environment? Myth Busted - YouTube

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much of what is stated is not true. Google "why are gas prices high". Do you drive a Corvette WOT all the time? NO. But it nice to know it is capable of some real fun when you price the throttle. Same as the EV. Also Google "can the electric grid handle EV's". I say again EV are not for all people, just do not state an opinion you have as a fact like so many news shows lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Burns View Post
    Well, see... before the buffon in DC was elected we weren't paying up the nose, nor was anything fuel related supporting Russia. I'm curious, have you ever looked into where the materials for those EV batteries comes from? Not exactly American made. I've driven an ev on several occasions and they drive fine just like any other car, it's funny you say as fast as a corvette because if you drive them hard, they get next to no range at all, their worst selling point some would say. I also agree that for most people an ev would make sense for their daily commute, the vehicles aren't my issue, it is the way it is being done and the fact that our power grid can't even keep up with what we have sucking energy now, adding thousands if not millions of ev to that pull will just not work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no problem with the four stroke outboards, wish I had a need for one because they're really impressive engines.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I don't think electric boats make any sense for me yet. I have an SS2000 and our family has a J Craft for skiing. Both have direct injected two strokes. I think that's the best technology for outboards, but I am done with shouting at clouds. The world has gone 4 stroke. Get over it, or give it a rest.

For cars, it takes more energy to make an electric car, but the overall life balance is much better for the electric car. Few of us use our boats enough to shift the lifetime balance to electric. And the battery weight penalty is a lot more severe in a boat then in a car. This below reviews energy to make a car, and emissions from mining and oil production. The winner for cars is electric. Boats are not discussed, but given a hundred hours of use a year, it would take more than my lifetime to shift the boat balance to electric.

Are Electric Cars Worse For The Environment? Myth Busted - YouTube

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We agree, they are not for all people, and I have googled "can the grid blah blah blah" and you get any answer you want. California is currently experiencing rolling blackouts with the current load on the current grid, in Texas we had the same thing earlier this summer... you think adding a couple million ev to the mix will help things? Get real.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
    So much of what is stated is not true. Google "why are gas prices high". Do you drive a Corvette WOT all the time? NO. But it nice to know it is capable of some real fun when you price the throttle. Same as the EV. Also Google "can the electric grid handle EV's". I say again EV are not for all people, just do not state an opinion you have as a fact like so many news shows lately.

Page 9 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 59 ... LastLast