User Tag List

Page 53 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    It's still carbon based... You know, the environment
    So are we, and everything else that is alive on this planet.

-Peter
    "padded wonder"
    17' boston whaler alert, 90 merc fourstroke
    13' boston whaler, 40hp yamaha

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5
    1993 mustang/griggs racing road race car
    and a handful of clunkers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    So are we, and everything else that is alive on this planet.

-Peter
    The rabbit hole...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Power sez,
    methanol is the cheap green fuel of the future.
    castor oil is renewable...
    the future green engine sounds like a 2 stroke...

Power ol boy,
    Recycled wood and castor beans ... it's way to smart, they wood (pun) never go for it .

But it stinks .. my poodle fe-fe wood never approve of the smell when she is taken for a walk by one of my peasants ..

Besides Klotz .... grape and root beer are my two favorites ...

4. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chaz........do we mix or drink as is.......?????????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGD-oSwJv3E

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread still sucks

7. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at this 30s video ad from Four Winns, you would think, "Sweet, the era of battery boating is upon us! I'll just replace my petro boat with that!”

Well. Maybe. Maybe not. Here's where the math comes in.

They use the Vision Marine, 180hp-E-Motion engine and battery package. The only planing hull battery power package that I know of that is actually available. (Well, not available to you and me. Only to OEMs). According to Vision Marine's own web site, the battery package stores 70KWh at full charge. (That is just a hair over TWO gallons of gasoline worth, BTW.) That means it can put out 70KW, (which is 93 hp), for one hour, because one KW is 1.341 hp. Or (using round numbers) the 180 hp motor rating (to get you your 35 mph) for half an hour, from 100% charge, to dead in the water, leaving nothing for idling back and docking, and presuming a brand new battery that has not degraded, like they all do over time. The Four Winns marketing guy in this video,* says he reached 35 mph, and that was with just him in it. Would 35 mph for 20 minutes, so you have enough left over to idle back to the dock and up onto the trailer, meet your needs? Would you pay 50% more for it than a 250hp petro motor on the same hull, that can run all day? The petro version of the same hull (according to Four Winns own web site) can carry ten people and some gear. With 1000lb worth of batteries, do you think the battery boat with the same hull, will be able to do the same? Maybe. Four Winns isn't saying, but I have my doubts.

They tried it before this video is from 8 years ago

The electric outboards makes sense the battery,s do not
    instead of trying to focus on this single outboard package they would be better off focusing on the twin outboard boats with twin 150HP outboards on the back
    try to get the cost down from a single engine 400Kw generator dual electric 150 Kw outboard package

The electric outboards have the advantage of incredible zero rpm torque so you could prop them which would stall a conventional motor because of initial torque deficit
    the torque curve would follow the need to get on plane afterwhich you need less to keep it on plane but now you run higher pitches
    I think there would be a serious effiency gain here provided you can build it cheap enough

Get some economy of scale going!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yasa_torque.jpg  
    Last edited by PanRonnie; 02-11-2023 at 05:30 AM.

9. Likes John S liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much has happened with lithium ion specific energy (storage/weight) over the past eight years since Campion announced and then dropped planing hull battery boats. I’d imagine Four Winns battery offering will go the same way, for the same reasons. That’s not to say that 20 minutes of planing, leaving enough to motor back onto the trailer, won’t fit the bill for at least some people. Mission Bay in San Diego comes to mind here. A few minutes of planing would be all you would need.

As to economies of scale, I wouldn’t hold my breath there, either. Lithium ion has been widely produced, top of the heap battery technology, with the finest minds in science working round the clock with insane budgets. So maybe. But I’m not betting anything I have on significant improvements in economies of scale. I think we have already seen most of what we’re going to get on that front. Forced adoption of battery cars may be kind of new, creating the impression that this is new tech. But the technology is not. And PanRonnie is right that electric motors are efficient. They are. The problem lies in how you provide energy to them.

In fact, in some ways we may be moving backwards. Tesla’s Five year old, 100KWh pack weighs 1200lbs. The new Hummer EV battery pack is 200KWh, but 3000lbs. Twice the capacity but more than twice the weight. There is actually a sound engineering reason for that sad state, but it certainly does not portend much improvement in the way of the specific energy problem, which is what is keeping lithium ion from suitability for planing hull boats, airplanes, and road going towing. Specific energy is energy storage/weight. FWIW, a lot of people say “energy density”, when they mean “specific energy”.

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 02-11-2023 at 06:13 PM.
    "padded wonder"

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5

11. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Crazy ... ??? Not so much unless your a Joan Bayhard groupie ...

Nor can ya say, that I'm lying or being deceitful of the truth ...

No, if anything, I throw the ball over the plate. Many it seems, can't handle the truth .. that's on them , and honestly I feel sorry for those that are too afraid to say what they know .. or how they feel about an issue.
    And my time is much to valuable to me than stand around while they pizz down my leg and try to tell me it's raining ...

My hand is in the air .. I was wrong about nowhere to charge the battery's. As Shaun said it hit him all of a sudden, you can plug into shore power.
    Granted you have to either live on the water and not go far from home or .. rent a marina slip every few miles ..

Target audience ... Lets break down what Shaun said. Drive up to the staging area, get a running start @ the flag girl .. go .750 of a mile .. circle back .. make the trip again and it's down to 60% power. It will slow down it you want to go again. So to get it back in condition to run another 1.5 miles wide open, you will need to wait at least 1 1/2 - 2 hours to bring the battery's back up ... or as he said ,,, drink beer with your friends and then ride home @ 20 mph ... pppffftttttt Is that where we're headed .. get drunk and ride home at 20 mph .. Have at it my friend , me I'll pass , and I gotz a Canole' that says Shaun would pass as well ...

Our little track is 22 miles. It spans from the Jensen Beach causeway ... to the Ft. Pierce idle zone , just south of South Bridge. The power lines cross the river at aprox half way.
    CRUDLY this ones for you ... If the electroalbatross goes 95 MPH wide open and it can do so for 25 seconds ... how much charge time will be needed to cover the first 11 miles .. and then the second 11 miles ... Please, take all the time you need ..

Who did he say, was the best lower unit guy in the world ... ??? And here I thought Dominick did every one he has ever owned ...

Hey .. isn't that an open cockpit boat ??? I could have swore not long ago, he stood right in the middle of my shop floor and said he would never be caught running a non canopy boat wide open .. especially at LOTO... LOL
    Well let me introduce you to Bla-bla, CEO of Electrosmoots , a publicly traded company ...
    Heck, they might even be able to get Dimbiden to give them a government grant for a few trillion dollars .... to help "cleanup the water". I'm afraid it's gonna take CRUMtard a while to cipher how long it would take to go 22 miles .. but I have a feeling the river will be pretty desolate if they have their way.
    I rekkon I'd sell out too ,,, if I just got paid stupid money from a "big board" company to help rig and run a boat for a weekend .. but then again ....

2.5L on my grave stone .. I already gotz a propane 3.0L .. I figgert I'd just shove a hose up CHUBlee's azz before I go ... gotta be enough methane in him to run that baby for a few centuries .... <---{ VP 110(=----<<<

Gotta be so cheap to install .. that they will let you charge up for free ...

https://www.docksidepower.com/

I'm thinkin the canole is a safe bet.
    Wriggleys gum makes me think of boating, "Double your engines, Double your fun"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like ChrisCraft has thrown their hat in the ring on battery operated boats. And they are sharing some numbers.

25 footer called the Launch 25 GTe. 420hp out drive. 133kWh battery. 50 mph top speed. Claimed 2hr endurance.

Let’s run some numbers:

-420hp is 309kW

-133kW is about 180hp

-the battery is 133kWh
    (That means it can do 133kW or 180hp for one hour)

-simple math says that with 133kWh it can make full 50mph power for 25 minutes if you start at 100% charge and run it to zero, leaving nothing left to motor on and off the trailer or into and out of the slip

-they claim a two hour endurance. In order to run for two hours you need to run at half of your 133kWh capacity. So that works out to about 90hp. So you have 90hp for two hours. If you leave nothing left to motor on and off the trailer or in and out of the slip.

Question for you boat gurus:

In a 420hp boat that tops out at 50mph, is 90hp enough to sustain a plane? My guess is that is just barely enough to kinda sort sustain a slow mushy plane depending on how loaded up it is. But that’s guessing. I’m not a guesser or particularly expert in marine engineering. This is where some of you blokes can chime in.

https://electrek.co/2023/02/15/chris...pt-miami-show/

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 02-20-2023 at 01:14 PM.
    "padded wonder"

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    Looks like ChrisCraft has thrown their hat in the ring on battery operated boats. And they are sharing some numbers.

25 footer called the Launch 25 GTe. 420hp out drive. 133kWh battery. 50 mph top speed. Claimed 2hr endurance.

Let’s run some numbers:

-420hp is 309kW

-133kW is about 180hp

-the battery is 133kWh
    (That means it can do 133kW or 180hp for one hour)

-simple math says that with 133kWh it can make full 50mph power for 25 minutes if you start at 100% charge and run it to zero, leaving nothing left to motor on and off the trailer or into and out of the slip

-they claim a two hour endurance. In order to run for two hours you need to run at half of your 133kWh capacity. So that works out to about 90hp. So you have 90hp for two hours. If you leave nothing left to motor on and off the trailer or in and out of the slip.

Question for you boat gurus:

In a 420hp boat that tops out at 50mph, is 90hp enough to sustain a plane? My guess is that is just barely enough to kinda sort sustain a slow mushy plane depending on how loaded up it is. But that’s guessing. I’m not a guesser or particularly expert in marine engineering. This is where some of you blokes can chime in.

https://electrek.co/2023/02/15/chris...pt-miami-show/

-Peter
    Yasa Motors!

https://www.yasa.com/news/evoa-e1-and-yasa/

but back to your quistion they stated top numbers for a short period and with water/oil heat exchanger the motors might do better but you are probably going to cook your battery because of the amount drawn in a short period of time
    but now imagine 2 of those drives replacing 2 inboard engines with a single aluminium V8 CI or SI generator running on LNG or possible hydrogen in the not to distant future

i am still waiting for the video of the cigarette with the mercedes motors
    not a single video of the thing on water
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image-008.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PanRonnie View Post
    but you are probably going to cook your battery because of the amount drawn in a short period of time...
    This ^^^

Is why I suspect the Vision/Hellkat team pulled back the power on their 100+ mph run. Because otherwise, why would they, unless the boat was experiencing handling difficulties, which did not appear to be the case. If true about the risk of high discharge rates, this is going to be their issue with trying to pursue the outboard world speed record. Not the availability of powerful motors. That one is easy, (relatively).

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 02-20-2023 at 03:22 PM.
    "padded wonder"

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here is a nice graph of a tesla!
    Can we say at speed your range reduces to about a 1/3
    now what is the HP need to run a tesla a 115 miles an hower?, my guess is still lower than running a boat like a 25 foot chriscraft at 50 miles an hower

My feeling is they should save that precious african digged kobalt for cars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tesla_speed_range.png  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PanRonnie View Post
    So here is a nice graph of a tesla!
    Can we say at speed your range reduces to about a 1/3
    now what is the HP need to run a tesla a 115 miles an hower?, my guess is still lower than running a boat like a 25 foot chriscraft at 50 miles an hower

My feeling is they should save that precious african digged kobalt for cars
    I have written of this recently. This is why you NEVER see a Tesla or any other battery operated car bombing fast on the sections of the autobahn that are far from big cities, where the petrol cars are going 120-140 for ages on end. (I have been on the autobahn in Germany twice in 2023 alone so far).

Brad Zastrow hasn't gotten back to us on this, but I think Tesla themselves publish data on how badly high speeds hurt your range in battery operated cars. I'll go back and dig it up if I have to but it pretty much says the same thing your graph does.

-Peter
    "padded wonder"

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who cares how far the Tesla will go at ultra-high speed. Look I am not some tree hugger who gives a rat's azz what you drive. I have said before that EV's are not ready for the water or cross country in a car. (long trips can be done just takes more time, we have driven 1000+ mile trips) But the technology is coming quickly. Drive a Tesla and tell me your thoughts. Or better yet use self-drive and let the Tesla drive LOL. My wife's Tesla is quicker than my Porsche twin turbo S and a great ride, quiet, no maintenance and cheap to drive. I have owned a lot of cars in my life with some of the better cars being SL-AMG's with v8 and v12, BMW M-6, BMW 850, Vipers, Bentley W12 GT, Corvettes, Jags with v12's and blower V8 Type F. I have also owned countless muscle cars. Nothing and I mean nothing compared to the power and comfort of her Tesla S. Her next car will be a Tesla S Plaid. 0-60 mph in 1.99 and the quarter mile in the 9's and a range of 400 miles. Drive whatever you want on the road or the water.

19. Likes NICE PAIR, Speed Jr. liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time I was over 100mph on the street I was 18, 50 years ago.

No plans to go on Hitlers Autobahn

According to peter, my brothers Tesla S battery is not equal to 3 gals of gas?

But he can drive it 300 miles, and it's a heavy lux car, go figure

A miracle

the Divine car
    We have invented the world; WE see

Page 53 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast