User Tag List

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun K View Post
    Yea sure let's talk wind turbines John, that 1000ft monstrosity w 126 small turbines you linked me to equals the output 5 full size turbines. Thats all. Did you read the link you posted? Did you know it takes the output of 600 full size turbines running full time to replace a one coal powerplant? Did you know that wind turbines only run at 35-40% capacity and are not a source of reliable constant power?
    That is huge. The problem with part-time/unreliable energy sources is that you still need to keep all your full-time/reliable energy sources ... Or do without in times of need. CA seems to have chosen the latter. When need arises, we here in CA are called upon to do without.

But there's also the waste problem from used turbine blades (and solar panels). The blades wear out, (quickly) and then what do you do with them? Burning them or grinding glass fibers into dust is an environmental catastrophe. Burying them, they last for 10,000 years, like plastic. Shipping them off to countries with slave labor so they can burn them or grind them up and who cares if poor people halfway around the world are dying when you're living the life in SoCal, right? Seems like burying them or shipping them to China is what is happening for the most part in this country. Except not in the rich areas like coastal SoCal. They get shipped to other people's back yards for burial. At least some of the poor communities in other states where they bury CA's used blades are getting paid for it, so there is that. The same thing happens with solar panels only worse, because they have toxic materials that can leach into ground water, so burying them is risky and has to be done with great care and expense. CA will make it nearly impossible to bury old solar panels because of this... So used solar panels from CA, as with used wind turbine blades, will likely be shipped to other people's back yards in other states.

https://www.mswmanagement.com/home/a...d-solar-panels

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2020...-in-landfills/

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 09-21-2022 at 02:17 AM.

"padded wonder"
    17' boston whaler alert, 90 merc fourstroke
    13' boston whaler, 40hp yamaha

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5
    1993 mustang/griggs racing road race car
    and a handful of clunkers

2. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The truth is hard to take for the greenies. I guess it will take total meltdown of society to convince them. Elon Musk himself has said that is where we are headed at this point. I think he would know the facts and understand better than just about anyone. Like it or not the tech is not now or maybe ever going to replace our current system. Nice to see posts where irrefutable proof is laid out plainly and to the point. No emotion or politics just facts!
    Last edited by XstreamVking; 09-21-2022 at 11:00 AM.

83 V-King, Mercury 3.0 back on the transom
    Let's Go Brandon, Let's Go Brandon.. Yell it till their heads x-splode.
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

4. Thanks pcrussell50 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimboat, pcrussell50 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun K View Post
    Yea sure let's talk wind turbines John, that 1000ft monstrosity w 126 small turbines you linked me to equals the output 5 full size turbines. Thats all. Did you read the link you posted? Did you know it takes the output of 600 full size turbines running full time to replace a one coal powerplant? Did you know that wind turbines only run at 35-40% capacity and are not a source of reliable constant power? That award winning design would be in pieces at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico in the first tropical storm, forget a hurricane.
    No sir, he didn't know that. I didn't either, but then I don't tout them as the second coming .. If anything, I like what POTUS Trump says at his rally's .. no honey, you can't watch TV .. the wind isn't blowing ...

Nobody was nasty to you John S,
    Well, I'll raise my hand. I was, and will be .. as long as the left wing idiots continue to lie about climate change .. global warming, whatever they are calling it this week.
    They continue the false narrative and then some even start feeling guilty about their gender and the color of their skin .. Sorry, I ain't havin it.

my question was very valid, and you didn't even try to answer it. How is California's grid going to support EV's and this new electric infrastructure you keep blathering about? How. As it stands now like 30-40% of California's energy is coming from other states. And California green bureaucrats are going after the last remaining nuclear plants? The whole thing is fkn laughable. Gavin Newsome is fkn idiot who couldn't change a fkn tire on his own car if his life depended on it. These are the people making your power decisions. Good luck !
    No, he can't and won't even try to answer any direct questions. Just do like CRUD , and go off in a different tangent. WE STILL KNOW THEY ARE AFRAID TO TELL THE TRUTH . Can't run, no matter how many 10,000 word essays they cut and paste ..

Imported water, imported electricity and imported food .. the only thing they seem to have an abundance of is garbage filled streets, ever spreading homeless ghettoes and the idiots who put them in that position .. trying to tell the rest of us how to live .. I'll pass

Should we be good stewards of the planet .. ? absolutely. Keep your car, truck or boat in good running order. Pick up your own garbage, yo mama don't need to follow you around. Use the recycle bins the county gives you. Turn your used oil in .. or use it to lube your machinery, saw blades and cutters. For my yankee brothers, save it up to heat your garage in the winter months. I kind of thought most people were raised that way, but it seems that the ones who cry the loudest .. are the worst offenders.

6. Likes XstreamVking, Mugs914 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    America must not have gotten the memo. In the last three years, I have built three buildings, all with underground EV parking/ charging. Increased fire protection in that area. See how the process works, mate? Problem... Engineering....
    Yes, I know exactly how it works. Do you?

See:
    So you built three new buildings built to a spec in advance of a problem you knew was coming. Yet you seem to deny it as areal issue. What do you do with the million other perfectly good underground garages that were built before the dangers of spontaneous lithium fires had become a serious threat? Tear them down? No, mate. What you do is whatever you can do. And that is buy your building insurance and abide by the conditions written in your policy. If that means no underground parking for BEVs? Guess what? You can still do it. Just don’t expect your claim to be honored if you lose your building. Or get sued because someone was hurt or killed. Shoot mate, As someone in the building trades, you should be very well versed on the concept. Certainly more than I am. Yet even I understand at least the basics of liability.

And OHBTW … you and I are mountain bikers right? Over on the MTBR forums, they are already talking about e-bike shops that won’t work on bikes they don’t sell and have factory trained techs to repair. Why? Liability. They don’t want to be responsible out of pocket for fires or electrocutions.

Yes, I know engineering. My degree is in mechanical engineering. I’m also pretty strong in math and physics. If I hadn’t become a pilot, I was headed to grad school for math. That’s all this evaluation and analysis of energy storage and BS testing of fanciful claims boils down to. Math and a little physics. Stuff we can all do ourselves with a little guidance and interest. Don’t know where you are in SoCal but I went to SDSU. I still own a home up in Carlsbad, even though I don’t live in it right now.

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 09-21-2022 at 07:33 PM.

"padded wonder"

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5

8. Likes David - WI, XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want cheap EV's

here they come

CHINA

I tried out a luxury autonomous car considered the Chinese rival to Tesla — it was like driving an airplane

Nio may be "China's answer to Tesla" due to its innovative strength.
    NOK

• The Nio ET7 is being billed as the Chinese Tesla.
    • The design is a joint effort from centers in Munich and Shanghai.
    • It features an impressive interior and is ready for autonomous driving.

Sign up for our newsletter to receive our top stories based on your reading preferences — delivered daily to your inbox.

Often, Chinese car manufacturers don't have the same reputation as those in Western countries.
    Historically, this has been down to poor production quality and the tendency of some manufacturers to copy European designs.
    Despite this, China has risen to quickly become one of the leading "car nations" — electric cars have been subsidized by the state in China for years. Electric cars account for a large share of new registrations each year.
    One manufacturer, Nio — which specializes in autonomous cars — was founded in Shanghai in 2014.

The startup is considered "China's answer to Tesla" due to its innovative strength, and it's already produced over 100,000 cars there. Even Tesla CEO Elon Musk commended the manufacturer on Twitter for reaching this milestone.

"Karuun" is a renewable material made mostly out of rattan that should theoretically be as resistant as plastic.
    NOK
    I was given the opportunity to take a ride in Nio's new luxury model and to talk to its design chief Kris Tomasson.
    Tomasson has previously worked at BMW and has also designed private jets, which is clear when you take a moment to appreciate the clean, no-frills finish of the ET7.
    The hatchback has a cW value of 0.23, but in terms of aerodynamics, it's outperformed by the world champion Mercedes EQS (0.20) and the Tesla Model S (0.208).

SPONSOR CONTENT by MSI
    5 things to consider before purchasing a new work laptop

According to Nio, the exterior design of the approximately 5.10-meter-long sedan was inspired by the distinctive silhouettes of the seventies.
    The roofline and C-pillar in particular are reminiscent of the CitroŽn CX or the Rover SD1.

Behind the wheel, I felt like I was in an airplane cockpit.
    NOK
    Although the ET7 is a hatchback, the designers gave it a classic trunk lid.
    "We did without a large tailgate because we wanted to optimize the space available in the interior. At the same time, we didn't want to design a conventional three-box sedan, as that wouldn't have fit the ET7's novel character," Tomasson explained this decision when asked by Business Insider. The model also has to do without a frunk (front luggage compartment). The rear luggage compartment, however, appears quite large at first glance.

Record-breaking rear legroom

According to project manager Tomasson, the in-house Eve study from 2017 served as the starting point for the design process. At first glance, there may be few visual parallels to the extremely futuristic-looking and fully autonomous concept car.

The exterior design of the approximately 5.10-meter-long sedan was inspired by the distinctive silhouettes of the seventies.
    NOK
    According to the designer in charge, however, the proportions have been taken from the production model. With its 3.07-meter wheelbase, the ET7 has a similarly elongated appearance to the study. Together with the short overhangs, it should provide plenty of space in the interior.
    During my first seat test, I found that Nio wasn't exaggerating when it boasted about leg space — there was considerable room for my legs to the point where I could almost fully stretch them out.
    According to the manufacturer, the ET7 is even supposed to be the best in this category.

We have invented the world WE see

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

11. Thanks David - WI thanked for this post
    Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see the environmental impact study on that project... "Everything will be fine (as long as it doesn't catch on F****** FIRE) we hope.“
    Let's go Brandon!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CUDA View Post
    Want cheap EV's

here they come

CHINA

You have find China's aspirations of being the #1 worldwide EV maker, (and all EV batteries, solar, wind turbine etc) wanting US and European market share kind of amusing at this point. To help the West "Go Green" and save earth as they reject adhering to the Paris accords by adding coal power plants daily. They say they might comply by 2030 when the US/EU is an economic wasteland. Go Brandon

14. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid you will see China flood the low end EV market, $20,000 EV's

Just like E-bikes are every where now China will control the low end market

All the German EV's will gain strength and lead the high end

You see Ford is stuck with dealer obligations can't direct sell, but making EV sales exclusive dealership is interesting move.

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As powerful as nuclear power

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noli View Post

100kw is about 134hp. So that claim is 134hp out of about one square yard of solar panel. You can file that one with the 100mpg carburetor and the perpetual motion machines that the oil companies are keeping from us.

Those youtube clickbaits are even more common and just as impossible as lithium jet travel.

-Peter

"padded wonder"

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5

18. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Ford offers an electric ‘crate motor‘ if anybody wants to try their hand at an electric jetboat or v-drive.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-f-...lectric-pickup
    Let's go Brandon!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David - WI View Post
    I see Ford offers an electric ‘crate motor‘ if anybody wants to try their hand at an electric jetboat or v-drive.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-f-...lectric-pickup
    It's just all the crates of batteries that are the show stoppers. The motors themselves are fantastic.
    Once we get the mythical unobtainium batteries with the rarium cells that are always "just around the corner" and "being developed" everything will be rainbows and lollipops.

No offence intended to you David
    Last edited by wettek; 09-23-2022 at 07:29 PM.

22. Thanks pcrussell50 thanked for this post
    Likes pcrussell50, David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lets wait till the EU forces goods to carry their carbon footprint so consumers can decide.

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast