Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prop Choice?

I have a 17' CeeBee Avenger Mach II powered by a 2L XR2 150. The fastest prop I've tried on this boat with my set-up is a Quicksilver Laser II, 27P, and it runs at 6000 rpm at about 71 mph. That's with a jack plate, top 3 holes plugged, as high as I can run it and still get cooling water. The propshaft is about 2 1/2-3" below the bottom of the boat. At full trim, WOT, full speed I'm effectively running with 1 blade out of the water. Next season I'll be running a 2300cc chrome bore 175, which I ran for a time this season, but had running problems (see this thread: https://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...Running-Issues). At WOT the 175 seems to run fine, and with the Laser II it's getting about 6400-6500 rpm's. That's too much, but the Laser II doesn't come in any higher pitches. I've had my boat for about 15 years and I've tried at least a dozen props to get the best top speed, and one thing I've found is that my boat requires bow lift to get best top speed. For example, I tried an over-the-hub prop that was advertised at a HULL lifting prop, and I lost 2-3 mph with that prop. My question is what prop in the 30P range should I try with my boat when I get the 175 running? Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you running a 2:1 or a 1.87 gearbox on the 175?

A 30 big ear chopper 2 would lift the bow. Note that the 30 chopper had smaller blades then the other choppers. The chopper 2 in 30” has full size blades.

I like Trophies and a 28 might be enough

3. Likes croSSed liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres not a ton of props available in the 30 pitch range. Its hard to say stuff x prop on and your done. The more props i buy and try the more surprised i get at how small changes between the same models can make such a big difference in handling and performance. I have a pile of choppers now and one or two are very neutral, not a lot of bow lift they run pretty flat. I have a few others that air out like crazy! One 24 small ear with extra trailing edge cup that really flies well and is not hairy either. I have a couple laser 2 props and my streams only like those buried. If i jack up on them i get blow out. Good ski/cruise props with a stock lower. Not ideal for big speed in my experience. I have a 21 and a 24

a lot of guys like et props for small go fast sob hulls. Theres srx props out there I believe 29 is the highest pitch avail. Small ear and bug ear choppers are common. Lots of fun with those but over the years most have probably been worked over so until you try them its hard to say how they will work out.

you could source a reputable prop shop and work with them to achieve your goals
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, the lower is 2:1.