Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merc 200 HP OB230110 drive shaft shaft with coupler in middle HELPPPPPPPP PLEASE

So I have a 200 HP about 1987 OB230110, water pump failed engine new to me I am not new to Merc's
    in 40 years I never come across a drive shaft on an outboard with a coupler in about the middle of the drive shaft
    dropped the lower unit to change water pump ( had a hell of time to get the lower unit out) the coupler looks like it has 8 splines it is square wither with corners cut to 45 degrees has to lined up in midsection to come out finally got it out and some wonderful person has welded the coupler to drives shaft so i cant change the water pump as it will not slide off the drive shaft.
    so i guess i will need new drive shaft and all bits that go with it
    question 1 any one have any info on this?
    question 2 can the upper peice of drive shaft be romoved so i can put a normal 20 inch drive shaft in with a 1.87 gear ratio

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJA View Post
    So I have a 200 HP about 1987 OB230110, water pump failed engine new to me I am not new to Merc's
    in 40 years I never come across a drive shaft on an outboard with a coupler in about the middle of the drive shaft
    dropped the lower unit to change water pump ( had a hell of time to get the lower unit out) the coupler looks like it has 8 splines it is square wither with corners cut to 45 degrees has to lined up in midsection to come out finally got it out and some wonderful person has welded the coupler to drives shaft so i cant change the water pump as it will not slide off the drive shaft.
    so i guess i will need new drive shaft and all bits that go with it
    question 1 any one have any info on this?
    question 2 can the upper peice of drive shaft be romoved so i can put a normal 20 inch drive shaft in with a 1.87 gear ratio
    Yes. Upper driveshaft should pull out. Unless it is corroded or stripped in the crank...then you gotta pull the powerhead to get it out.
    Most of the couplers had 13 splines. They did make those from the factory at merc for some years, but they were never welded. Furthermore, they freely go in and out of the midsection if they belong. It sounds like someone made what you got going. Cut it off carefully so you can change your impeller and then put it back together with a slip coupling on both sides. No need for it to be welded. Put it back how it is is easier than changing your driveshaft and will work just fine. If you want to change the driveshaft then all you need is a 20" driveshaft.

Post pics if you can.

3. Thanks RJA thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    Yes. Upper driveshaft should pull out. Unless it is corroded or stripped in the crank...then you gotta pull the powerhead to get it out.
    Most of the couplers had 13 splines. They did make those from the factory at merc for some years, but they were never welded. Furthermore, they freely go in and out of the midsection if they belong. It sounds like someone made what you got going. Cut it off carefully so you can change your impeller and then put it back together with a slip coupling on both sides. No need for it to be welded. Put it back how it is is easier than changing your driveshaft and will work just fine. If you want to change the driveshaft then all you need is a 20" driveshaft.

Post pics if you can.
    thanks
    is there any way i can get the part numbers or some where to find them
    who ever decided to weld the coupler wasn't thinking of ever having to change components
    they welded on the outside and then on the inside i can see the top of the preload pin but the not the top of the drive shaft
    I hate butcher jobs like this
    not sure if a machine shop can get the sleeve off and clean off the welds in the splines
    it might be cheaper to find a used lower unit and pull the power head and get the upper shaft out
    i will put some pics as soon as i can get them off my phone
    I cant seem to find any thing on parts diagrams from merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like someone put a IO lower on a outboard......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Sounds like someone put a IO lower on a outboard......
    Yes, that is what you have going on RJA. An 0B serial number should not have had a preloaded driveshaft. If its a stub driveshaft with coarse splines and a preload pin then its definitely an alpha lower unit that someone made a coupler for and put it on an outboard. I did not know you were dealing with a preloaded case. In that case...don't even mess with it. You can't get a driveshaft for it and its not really worth putting that much money into. I mean, that much money as in buying a driveshaft and paying someone to put it in...find another gearcase thats the right one for your engine (my opinion). They shouldn't be more than 400 or 500 $ for a 20" fishin gearcase