Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowisl View Post
    Hi Joe,

I am glad that they are putting in areas to solid mount weight plates. Quick question- why aren't they going with a thicker lay-up? The boats can afford to be heavier & safer.

Thanks,

Chris
    Charlie did a good job of covering it. "You build the heavier boat today and the rules change tomorrow then you made a mistake". It really comes down to the guys in the class realizing that there is no million dollar purse to win and staying in their lane thru the first turn. Never has it been a problem until we have so many boats in the class now. Two things that only come with age and experience: You have to finish to win, and you can't teach patience.

Joe

2. Likes TooStroked liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching races in canopied cats these days seems to show an awful lot of beginners or poor skills of people that should know better.
    At least each race has a boat upsidedown to keep the spectators happy.
    Thanks to canopies no injuries.
    Last edited by powerabout; 07-17-2022 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    Charlie did a good job of covering it. "You build the heavier boat today and the rules change tomorrow then you made a mistake". It really comes down to the guys in the class realizing that there is no million dollar purse to win and staying in their lane thru the first turn. Never has it been a problem until we have so many boats in the class now. Two things that only come with age and experience: You have to finish to win, and you can't teach patience.

Joe
    Understood, and makes sense. I am referring to CMR blowing apart.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are two sides to that situation and this is not the place to discuss it. Doug has been building race boats for 25 years and its a first so that should tell you something was outside the norm.

Joe

6. Likes NAVISPEED1 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Class ups engine weight and or power....say no more

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    There are two sides to that situation and this is not the place to discuss it. Doug has been building race boats for 25 years and its a first so that should tell you something was outside the norm.

Joe

J.P.

Chris asked about the boat "blowing apart". Pretty definitive and direct question.

Two side .. ??? Probably more than that, but to say it shouldn't be discussed here (especially after you speaking not so kindly on the Mirage thread) is saying you don't believe in free speech .. unless it goes along with your agenda.

As you know, I also ask tough questions.(many of them)
    By not answering, it not only gives the question validity .. but also leaves the impression that the elephant in the room is real.

Chris,
    Your answer is in the first three pages. (sans the removed picture)
    Asking J.P. to say anything negative in public about merc, merc Racing, porkchops, or D.W. boats .. ain't gonna happen. (loyalty to a point is a good trait, beyond that .. well you know)

Racing is tough on equipment. Like they say, "pill it till ya kill it ~ then back up one step.

Lighter and lighter boats to get an advantage in acceleration and top speed.

Big ol clunky azz ,high center of gravity motors.

Out to lunch minimum weight requirements .

Racers throwing "free weight" in the boats. (I've got some pretty big hammers, but nothing that will exert the force of some burlap bags filled with .. (I rekkon they wouldn't have made good smugg boats back in the day)

I watched Ross Chastain go in a little hot, wiggle, go above the line and take out Denny Hamlin last week. Pretty obvious infraction.
    It's a good rule in spirit to have the boats maintain their line thru the first turn. Hard to paint lines in the ocean ... no ?

Is there a rule on where your line is ? If your the fourth boat out , get a great start and the first pin is approaching and no one is inside of you. Are you required to leave ten feet , ten feet per boat .. use parental decompression.

Have they ever penalized an entry for "crowding the first turn, even if no one else was there ??? WTF do they expect to happen ...

Does Gavin Newsore .. err .. Newsom write the rules .. ???

I've said it before , maybe they "all" need to go run a "B-bomber" car at DeSoto or Volusia speedway for 10,000 laps to get a grip on what its like to run in traffic ..

If that don't learn em nuttin, they could always anchor the boats out in the middle, make them swim to the boats from shore, pull the anchor and go. Nothin like a La -Mans start to gap the field from the beginning ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure that there are 1st turn bouys coming at some point (like X Cat). Anyone that wants to know Doug's opinion of what happened can call him if they are interested in buying or racing a boat that he has built. I can tell you that there is structure being added to the new boats from here on but it doesn't add much weight overall. I have run several MTI, Skater, Nor-Tech, Spectre, and Doug Wrights in the 32 to 35 foot range and you see what I own "actions have much more meaning then words".

Joe

10. Likes TooStroked, Speed Jr. liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are 2 sides to the story, one from the fibreglass and the other from the water..lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    there are 2 sides to the story, one from the fibreglass and the other from the water..lol
    Don't think you will find any fiberglass in any of these boats and I sure hope they build the new boats with more carbon than the tabs I've seen.

What are the weights of the XCat's ? vs SS ? same length.
    We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CUDA View Post
    Don't think you will find any fiberglass in any of these boats and I sure hope they build the new boats with more carbon than the tabs I've seen.

What are the weights of the XCat's ? vs SS ? same length.
    fibre = carbon fibre or any cloth
    resin most likely epoxy if they used carbon,
    then the core..foam or balsa?
    i would still still call it a glass boat.
    The best way for a class to survive is a meeting with the class, owners and the builders, if all 3 are going different directions you just waste money and people go away.
    Hate to say it but powerboating needs to learn from sailing, some owners spent silly money and wasted millions on high tech grand prix boats, then finally when the owners ( with help from the builders) end up making the rules the classes are successful long term. Thats a huge help for keeping sponsors as well.
    Last edited by powerabout; 07-20-2022 at 04:13 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So like a floating Zubiki rig, except for floats instead of hooks ... Is there still a sign at the mouth of Post Canaveral : Unexploded ordnance No anchoring or dragging of nets permitted. ???

Chris, I hope your question was answered adequately ....

Foam core ... many different makes, models, absorption, adhesion, cohesion, but what do I know ... I'm just a stupid welder ...

Look how much good they did with the first 500 pounds ..

I say just add another 500 lbs ... and F it up all together ....

Is there a V-12 class yet .. ???

15. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presently Super Stock has the largest number of participants aside from class 7 bracket. The largest lets say most popular has changed over the years. F2 was huge in '99. Supercat was huge in 03, SVL was huge in '09. In the 80's Open class was huge. Just a few recent examples. They come and go. Its usually some combination of the same old stories. New guy spends more then everyone else, somebody just keeps winning, Mercury comes out with new engine, Rules change making equipment obsolete. Class can't agree and some splinter off or market takes a dive and its over.

I say enjoy the show while it lasts and hope it lasts awhile. Presently there are a bunch of guys willing to race hard and it is entertaining. It wasn't that long ago there were only a dozen boats total racing and everyone got a trophy.
    Jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Speros View Post
    Presently Super Stock has the largest number of participants aside from class 7 bracket. The largest lets say most popular has changed over the years. F2 was huge in '99. Supercat was huge in 03, SVL was huge in '09. In the 80's Open class was huge. Just a few recent examples. They come and go. Its usually some combination of the same old stories. New guy spends more then everyone else, somebody just keeps winning, Mercury comes out with new engine, Rules change making equipment obsolete. Class can't agree and some splinter off or market takes a dive and its over.

I say enjoy the show while it lasts and hope it lasts awhile. Presently there are a bunch of guys willing to race hard and it is entertaining. It wasn't that long ago there were only a dozen boats total racing and everyone got a trophy.
    We love racing in the class!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Speros View Post
    Presently Super Stock has the largest number of participants aside from class 7 bracket...

It would be nice to see SS race at big market/populated cities like Chicago.
    Chicago has so many waterfront locations, for SS to showcase their competitive spray to the local audience.

NASCAR will be racing in 2023 on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have we reached the tipping point and is this the start of the decline of my favorite class - Super Stock class

for racers who can no longer afford the costs --> https://www.speedonthewater.com/phas...fshore-racing/

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast