Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary was a big part of DW's initial success. He bought a boat, won with it, sold it. He ordered another with his tweeks added, won with it, sold it, and repeat.
    Jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't understand the need of the heavy Awlfair epoxy LW filler

I heard many quit using gel coat to save weight and spray Awlgrip epoxy paint.

Looks like plug work?

Todd D is coming out with his own Ideas for a 32 footer, I saw him cut his 29 ft boat up after getting run over carbon inch foam carbon done.
    We have invented the world; WE see

3. Likes noli liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe many of the large boat companies want to deliver the highest quality looking boats

If you look along the side of their hulls you'll see waviness as it came out of the mold

To hide the waviness, the sides are applied with resin based filler to make the side of the hull straight

Makes the boat look great

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I gotta admit .. you guys are pretty sharp noticing the bondo ...

But, it's not bondo .. It's Abrams M1A2 armor plate technology ...

Not sure who would order a boat and specify .. I want that ****** ****** put together ... dry . But I rekkon the customer is always right ..

If anyone was around for the NHRA / SFI chassis certification program .. then they would know that asking the APBA to get involved with hull building specifications is opening a can of worms that can't be resealed.
    Most likely they would holesaw the boat and say .. See I told ya when I knocked on the side wiff my pinkie ring .. it was too thin ..

Don't laugh .. thats how paper pushers think ..

I'm sure they had everyone's best interest at heart, when they added weight, but didn't really specify where that weight was to be absorbed. Windows, OK, makes sense.
    My friend is still wunderin, did they measure window thickness and flunk any boats that didn't meet code ..

So lets review :

No new code in the online rulebook .. Yea, we was fixin to get around to updatin that , once we hire a 12 year old to learn us how ta do it ..

No licensing system in place. If you need three fellow racers to sign you off as being safe to race with, your in. If not, come back when you know how to drive ... their moto should be .. we don't give a **** who you think you are.

Add 500 lbs to minimum weight .. to foam boats, meant to go fast, not play bumper boats. Hey .. What could go wrong ..

20" porkchops to deal with the weight penalty.

Then run them longitudinal up and down the beach ... in the surf.

All they are missing is the name .. P-1 sounds so bland. They should follow the leader "Ocean Outlaws .. Sidewave Kings"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley View Post
    THE APBA does not mandate lead or specific weight, part of the intent of adding weight is for teams to add safety structure and layers and new windows in most all of the boats to make them safer.
    Its important the rules cover maximum ballast so you cant make it paper thin then have lots of lead glassed in.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Power ol boy .. glassed in weight, surely you jest.

To be fair to the bout builders ..

If they thru bolted weight to the stringers ( 2 .500" bolts per 100 lbs is std) how well will the foam core stand up to being squished under the pressure of a half inch bolt without interaural support ...

More likely, duffel bags filled with plates, shot or sand. All of which just have to be good for the interior structure of the boat as well ...

But hey .. they might have ruined a few boats, but at least muckery don't have to worry about those pesky 300xs boats winning ...

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or just slap a lifeline on my ex and put her in the backseat and problem solved
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would like to see one boat that had the weight properly mounted. I was in a race boat just 1 hour ago and it has lead shot bags wrapped with duct tape and thrown in front of the bulkhead. This is not a superstock boat but a superboat. Lets see someone throw free weight in the back of a trophy truck going across the desert whoops and slamming down as the suspension is in full rebound process "not a sharp idea". The same applies for a boat and the C.G. on the porkchops is higher and noticeable when comparing to a 15" XS or X.

Joe

10. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Power ol boy .. glassed in weight, surely you jest.

To be fair to the bout builders ..

If they thru bolted weight to the stringers ( 2 .500" bolts per 100 lbs is std) how well will the foam core stand up to being squished under the pressure of a half inch bolt without interaural support ...

More likely, duffel bags filled with plates, shot or sand. All of which just have to be good for the interior structure of the boat as well ...

But hey .. they might have ruined a few boats, but at least muckery don't have to worry about those pesky 300xs boats winning ...
    Lead filled stringers anyone?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    I would like to see one boat that had the weight properly mounted. I was in a race boat just 1 hour ago and it has lead shot bags wrapped with duct tape and thrown in front of the bulkhead. This is not a superstock boat but a superboat. Lets see someone throw free weight in the back of a trophy truck going across the desert whoops and slamming down as the suspension is in full rebound process "not a sharp idea". The same applies for a boat and the C.G. on the porkchops is higher and noticeable when comparing to a 15" XS or X.

Joe

As stated in post #36 , two bolts per 100 lbs would require ten ,half inch bolts .. be it NHRA / NASCAR or SCORE desert racing. All chassis that I'm aware of come with or as an option ... winged chassis tabs we3lded in the usual locations.

On boats however, there are no provisions to secure weights. Racers being what they are will do what they have to.
    A 3.2 or 4.6 weights just north of 500 lbs. They get bolted to a 3" transom.
    Tell me where are you going to find somewhere else that has an area 3" thick to bolt weiight too ?

Ryan said, they wanted the weight to twords building materials and thicker windows.
    Makes sense ... where have they posted specs .. ?

There are none.

Who in their right mind would say all these boats have to weigh X and not "tech-in" the participants to see if the weight was added appropriately ?

Ya know, my road racing client calls the SCCA Some Clown Commanding Authority. Sounds like P-1 / Merc is taking lessons ...

So noli ... I noticed something mis .. Ahh, nevermind ... I get it ..

Chaz = rememberin, when racing broke a lot of parts. The idea was to learn from what happened, fix it .. back up one step .. and go again. Now it seems like everybodys feelings are at stake ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was at Doug Wrights shop today and they are adding areas to solid mount (thru bolt) weight plates. There will be eight spots fore and aft of the C.G. on the hull they were working on today. They are also adding structure to one of there most recent boats in hopes that the rules don't change again.

Joe

14. Thanks noli thanked for this post
    Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe,

When you visited DW shop, how many DW32 canopy race boats are currently being built at the shop?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was at Doug Wrights shop today and they are adding areas to solid mount (thru bolt) weight plates. There will be eight spots fore and aft of the C.G. on the hull they were working on today. They are also adding structure to one of there most recent boats in hopes that the rules don't change again.

Joe
    I didn't think that they would just sit on their hands and do nothing. And what they put in place will be up to the task of carrying the weight they were designed to carry.
    Racers being what they are ... might overload one sponson more than the other ... it sure turns good that way .. even if that practice compromises the hull. And who looks bad in the end ...

I got what I wanted ... someone I respect, saying it's a dumb rule .. (without specs) And who knows what else they might come up with from week to week ..
    (maybe not the exact wording, but what I took away from what you said )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe
    Hi Joe,

I am glad that they are putting in areas to solid mount weight plates. Quick question- why aren't they going with a thicker lay-up? The boats can afford to be heavier & safer.

Thanks,

Chris

18. Likes CUDA liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So Chris walks in and says ... I'll buy a boat , but I want it to be 50 pounds lighter than Joes .. yep, no problem.
    Now Chaz walks in and seyz, I'll buy a boat, but it has to be 50 lbs lighter than Chris's boat ... yep, no problem.

Porkchops are now allowed.

All boats 32' with a wide tunnel has to add 500 lbs.

30' narrow tunnel wins a race, Ooppps all boats have to add 500 lbs.

Hey wait, these light boats are breaking .. you have to build them stronger / and or add secure ballast mounts.

The older 32's were heavier. Lost value when the "lighter versions" came to be. Maybe they are desirable once again ..

Maybe a hand full of new boats are built with a heavier lay-up. Then next year the powers that be says .. (merc pulls back sponsor money) maybe we were a little harsh with adding 500 lbs to all boats. We are retracting that rule. What do the guys that thought they were doing the right thing ... and bought heavy /safer boats... do with their new obese anchor ...

The best thing that could happen is for people like P1 to do is accept sponsor money from Mercury. And use it to help pay the purse. Fine .. if they say you win with a 300xs and have the proper decal , you can collect $3000.00 a race. If you have porkys and are stickered up .. you can collect $5000.00 for a race win.
    As far as rules .. you don't see CMR saying, well show proof that you put one of our roofs on your house in the last 5 years and you can collect contengcy money .. do ya ??? No, they pay for advertising ... period ...

20. Thanks powerabout thanked for this post
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast