Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m most likely going to farm the 28 out and do the 26 on my own. One day, no rush this is all fun
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a little boat that runs an inexpensive prop you can play with it to learn basics of prop mods. I took a little 25 Johnson OEM aluminum prop many years ago and started cupping it cold, on an anvil with a ball peen hammer. I'd cup it a little and put it on and go GPS it at the river two miles from home. The boat is a little 13' 8" glass fishing boat that had front seat stick steering. I knew I needed bow lift so I decided to see what difference I could make. If I ruined the little prop ..... no big deal. Each time I cupped it a bit more I'd gain speed. I went from 27 mph stock to 32, just by cupping. One day I put some more in it, tested, and my speed had dropped back a couple mph. I took that amount of cup out and the speed went back to 32.

I bought a Solas replacement for it with a little more pitch and am in the process of grinding cup into it, thinning the blades and sharpening the leading edges. I use a "tiger paw" wheel to do this. I'm afraid to try beating on that wheel because it looks to be some different aluminum alloy and I'm afraid it would break before bending much. The blades were way thicker than needed anyway, so I had plenty meat to work with. So far, with it, I'm up to 34 mph. Sorry if I'm rambling but just a little info about my minimal experience cupping wheels. I wouldn't dare try that on one of my stainless props for my 2.5/240, 260 or 300. Too expensive props, and turning too many rpms, for me to be banging on when there's people out there like Billy Eaves.

Good luck. Proceed with caution.

3. Likes LakeFever, rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s funny about beating on the aluminum prop yourself and adding cup. I think it’s a hell of a great idea. You would be surprised how many props have been beaten on on trailer balls at races because they needed just a little bit more cup. Lol
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

5. Likes ksfastman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aluminum is tricky to bend depending on the alloy. The safe bet is to anneal it and work the shape a little, anneal it and repeat until you reach your desires shape. Ive restored cast aluminum car wheels that went into a curb by doing this. Tedious but doable.

I did make some calls and picked up some good info and was surprised as one shop said not to waste a good chopper because they dont make them anymore. Suggested a hill et was the strongest, closest solution. Also learned that to cut a chopped into an et you have to weld the blade tip a bit to fill the pattern. I know Tnels cut his 26 a while ago and did not like the performance of it so maybe this has something to do with it
    Hydrostream dreamin

7. Likes rgsauger liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3