Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed mine at about 15 hrs but used the 10-30. I drained a bit over 8 qts from each motor and it smelled of gas. Read somewhere a too gentle break in would allow for gas accumulation in the oil. Book actually says to hold it wide open for 1 min of every 10 mins during break in. That's hard to do in a 100 plus mph boat. Fun. But need some clear running room for sure. I've tried to run it harder since the first oil change.

Noted the book also says to tilt your motor up to drain oil back to the sump before cold starts. I haven't been doing that. With a cat boat on a tall trailer you never really need to tilt the engines. I tilted them up before the oil change as the book recs.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's difficult to argue with first-hand knowledge and experience (Joe).

And I hate to agree with Chaz but he is correct in saying Mercury isn't packaging lubricants. It's being done by a blender. And Mercury is secretive about who it is. I worked for Shell and they usually know where private label products are made because they are one of the industry leaders in base stock production and in additive production but they don't know who is blending for Mercury, at least not at present. I really doubt it's Warren though.
    \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\///

Checkmate Pulsare 2100 with a 2017 Merc 250 Pro XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s enough for me that Mercury controls what goes into the expensive race DFI oil that I buy. I never thought that Mercury made their own oils of course. Maybe it’s not really special and maybe it is. Compared to the price of an engine, oil is cheap.

4. Likes doug7488 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can tell you that the guys that told me to run it know. I didn't even start any of my 300Rs with the stock oil based on what I was told and showed. The 450s are all shipped with this oil and yes I let my motors warm up at the dock or ramp and as I idle out before I romp on them. Watch your oil temp and it you will see it well over 150, my motors run at 140 to 145 but oil is at 260.

I am not telling anyone what to do rather sharing what I have been exposed to and am doing with my stuff. We now have several "porkchops" a couple "shrimpheads" and a mini chop (V6) all running this oil and have had zero problems.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerNewb View Post
    I changed mine at about 15 hrs but used the 10-30. I drained a bit over 8 qts from each motor and it smelled of gas. Read somewhere a too gentle break in would allow for gas accumulation in the oil. Book actually says to hold it wide open for 1 min of every 10 mins during break in. That's hard to do in a 100 plus mph boat. Fun. But need some clear running room for sure. I've tried to run it harder since the first oil change.

Noted the book also says to tilt your motor up to drain oil back to the sump before cold starts. I haven't been doing that. With a cat boat on a tall trailer you never really need to tilt the engines. I tilted them up before the oil change as the book recs.
    Its best to idle in to the ramp or dock with the motors in a positive trim setting. I have seen a few that parked (tucked under) and when they fire them up after a lunch stop-create a small smoke show. It only takes a couple drops to leak past the oil ring.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reviewing literally thousands of oil samples when I was a Fleet/Commercial rep and having hundreds of conversations with actual "Lubrication Engineers" I can tell you there is NOTHING worse for an engine than revving it when it's cold. When I see the guys at the ramp fire their engines up and slam the throttle to WFO a few times I just think to myself "there goes 50 or 100 hours of life.
    \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\///

Checkmate Pulsare 2100 with a 2017 Merc 250 Pro XS

8. Likes TooStroked liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey , I just asked for an address ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TraceF3 View Post
    After reviewing literally thousands of oil samples when I was a Fleet/Commercial rep and having hundreds of conversations with actual "Lubrication Engineers" I can tell you there is NOTHING worse for an engine than revving it when it's cold. When I see the guys at the ramp fire their engines up and slam the throttle to WFO a few times I just think to myself "there goes 50 or 100 hours of life.
    That also applies to people doing a Jack Rabbit start & immediate take off, in their vehicles going to work in the mornings.

Many decades ago when I adjusted the hydraulic valves on my 289 engine (unfortunately not in a Mustang), I noticed something. It took almost 30 seconds before the oil came up to the valve cover area. After that, I never put any of my vehicles into gear until after 30 seconds of idle. I want my engine lubricated and not metal on metal, when I put my vehicle into 1st gear/drive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2