Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Donzi 22 with 496 ho

Hi pationate boaters,
    I have been proposed to buy a donzi 22 with a merc 496 ho that is sleeping in a garden and star up once per week since 4 years. The engine and the boat have both 45 hours.
    I am owner of a little donzi 16 with a etec 200 outboard ( no problem at all) and I have no experience with inboards; i m also not a mechanic!!would you go for this opportunity? Do you smell engine problems coming? Is it that expensive maintenance wise to have an inboard?
    Thanks for your advise!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it has 45 hrs I would go for it. Change all the normal maintenance items, impeller, gear oil, check drive alignment, oil, flush fuel system, sonic clean and flow test injectors. A leak down and compression test would be a great idea to make sure the bores are not rusted up. If he did start it that often it should be in great shape. I doubt anyone would start it with that frequency for 4 years though lol. It has likely been started about 4-8 times total. I would bet $100 on that one.

Pull the valve covers and if the valve springs show any signs of rust spots from sitting with out oil in top end change them out.
    TJ @ Baker Engineering
    Tuff 24 300xs
    Tuff 16 90 Yammie
    3.75@199mph with LSX power!!!

3. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellbents-10 View Post
    If it has 45 hrs I would go for it. Change all the normal maintenance items, impeller, gear oil, check drive alignment, oil, flush fuel system, sonic clean and flow test injectors. A leak down and compression test would be a great idea to make sure the bores are not rusted up. If he did start it that often it should be in great shape. I doubt anyone would start it with that frequency for 4 years though lol. It has likely been started about 4-8 times total. I would bet $100 on that one.

Pull the valve covers and if the valve springs show any signs of rust spots from sitting with out oil in top end change them out.
    Thanks you so much for your advise and answers!
    Regarding how many times he started it, I think you deserve the 100$!😅😅😅😅
    Is it much more expensive to have an inboard?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...is it more xpensive? yes. but a boat with that low of hours, should not be, for a long time, after what was recommended to do above. sounds like it only had one hours run time in the water...and the rest, on the trailer...lol. welcome to scream & fly......

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now for the hanging final thought ,,, how much, and, exterior condition , sleeping in a garden seems nice for a botanical event , not a performance machine , Fun Out
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To each is own but I never understood why in this size range why anyone would choose I/O over outboard. Look at it from this standpoint if either that motor or drive fail your looking at big money not to mention the pita maintenance. Can get better performance for a third of the weight and half the power along with much better fuel economy. Only plus I see is the sound, cons far outweigh the one pro imo. Your mechanic will thank you as well

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well Duro , when this hull was first produced was probably before you were born , outboards were skinny and weak and lacked the torque that was needed to get some performance out of this hull. later in years outboards got larger and produced more HP at the expence of fuel consumption, in those days an I/O could be used for half the fuel burned by a big 2 stroke, of course if you wanted to go nuts HP you could shoot that equation all to hell. nowadays outboards have been engineered to close that gap ,,, but at what cost ??? a 450R is 38K, you do the math , Fun Out
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fun View Post
    well Duro , when this hull was first produced was probably before you were born , outboards were skinny and weak and lacked the torque that was needed to get some performance out of this hull. later in years outboards got larger and produced more HP at the expence of fuel consumption, in those days an I/O could be used for half the fuel burned by a big 2 stroke, of course if you wanted to go nuts HP you could shoot that equation all to hell. nowadays outboards have been engineered to close that gap ,,, but at what cost ??? a 450R is 38K, you do the math , Fun Out
    I could be wrong but I think you are in for $50K to $60K if not more for a 450R Mercury. However, even though I now own a 300R, I totally agree with your logic and that was why I also owned stern drives years ago when 2 strokes were just not large enough for larger boats. In fact my previous boat was a 23ft with a 496 Mag and my current boat is a 24 ft with a 300R and both of them got over 4.5 mpg. I like the easy maintenance and no need to winterize the 4S outboard.
    Last edited by Pulsare2400; 05-27-2022 at 11:14 PM. Reason: left out a sentence

10. Thanks mr fun thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All great points, I just do not see any real problems with a 496, Bravo package if left STOCK!!!! Shoot I know I can do 800hrs on them and only change the fluids and impellers every season.
    If you are a professional offshore racer this is not the case, but a 22 Donzi owner is not the guy breaking stuff on the regular.
    My friend has a 22 with a 525 blue top and a stock bravo. Great package and they do nothing but routine maintenance ever year. At 30-50hrs a year it will take them 10 years to worry about anything on that one with the top end upgraded.
    TJ @ Baker Engineering
    Tuff 24 300xs
    Tuff 16 90 Yammie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with hellbents. 496 and Bravo is nearly bulletproof combo. Boats that sit for extended periods often need a little extra attention on fuel system.

Should be a fun boat. Hopefully it was covered and wasn't allowed to sit full of water.
    Jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with above plus the 496 is the HO version so you get a little more. Sort it out gently and it should be bullet proof for many hours of future use.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellbents-10 View Post

Isn't there a rubber bellows on the drive that needs to be checked. If bad will sink the boat.

15. Likes Greg G liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A failed shift cable bellows can sink a boat. It is generally a slow leak that will take overnight to sink the boat.
    Jim

17. Likes Forkin' Crazy, rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes have those bellows check when the drive alignment is checked, along with the gimble bearing. I have the bellows done about every 10yrs around these parts with normal use and winter storage.
    TJ @ Baker Engineering
    Tuff 24 300xs
    Tuff 16 90 Yammie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)