Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lower unit bearing carrier o-ring thrust washer sealing problem

Working on a lower unit I noticed some corrosion and a few areas of pitting in the lower unit case, in the area just rearward of where the reverse gear thrust washer seats in the housing...from the looks of it right where the o-ring is positioned...So other than throw the lower unit in the trash, how would you fix that? I might be able to patch the small areas with jb weld, what do you think? Pressure test failed the way it is leaking from behind the carrier Silly me I am already too deep into this rebuild thinking the o-ring seals on the groove the case instead of the thrust washer. That face looks good I am hoping I can salvage this

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rearward of sealing ring ?? there is no pressure rearward of big thrust washer on bearing carrier oring seals against ridge on case and inside face of the big washer i have found in some after market sealing orings they are too small and no amount of torque will compress the Oring enough to create a seal i used to order orings from momma merc for the hipo cases they were red, one thing to check is make sure the ridge inside the case is not blown out if part of it is missing (usually from a blown pinion ) it will never seal EVER , good luck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    rearward of sealing ring ?? there is no pressure rearward of big thrust washer on bearing carrier oring seals against ridge on case and inside face of the big washer i have found in some after market sealing orings they are too small and no amount of torque will compress the Oring enough to create a seal i used to order orings from momma merc for the hipo cases they were red, one thing to check is make sure the ridge inside the case is not blown out if part of it is missing (usually from a blown pinion ) it will never seal EVER , good luck
    Ah ok so the reverse gear thrust washer is what seals the case? I am using the orange mercury o-rings, looks like it is just paint as you can scrape the orange off and it exposes a black o-ring. So what you are saying is the o-ring does not seal against case, it is used to seal closer towards the prop shaft? That large diameter ridge (the face the reverse gear hits seems like it's in good shape, maybe ill try to clean that up a little bit more and put the carrier back in,

the issue is I don't think the o-ring will seal well around it's outer diameter, is that ok

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it has not "chipped out" a spot .. as Tex mentioned, then sometime in it's previous life .. the retaining nut loosened up. The carrier is able to move around .. usually wearing the right side of the case.

Drop the carrier in place and see if there is any slop (left to right).

Look for signs that the key slot at the bottom has been damaged before as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a combination of the thick washer and the ridge inside the case and the offset in the carrier the oring is installed on the offset in the carrier the thick washer stops up against the ridge in the case oring is squeezed against rear face of washer and ridge made by the offset on the carrier . when its compressed when the carrier (case nut )nut is tightened up its supposed expand to seal off pressure inside the case and water intrusion from the cavity it should be torqued to 225/ 250 lbs torque on hi po stuff . i have seen many cases with the top portion of the ridge blown out from a blown pinion the thick washer will not overcome the missing ridge support in the case it will not stop leaking ive tossed cle's sporty and torque master hipo emptys in the scrap because of this issue

6. Thanks Aaronhl thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it seems like you are saying the o-ring does not seal on any part of the case itself, only the reverse washer and recess of the bearing carrier?

I think I need to replace the reverse thrust ring because o-ring side is pitted right where the o-ring seats, the recess on the bearing carrier is fresh as it is a replacement, not what originally came with this lower unit.

Heres a picture of the inside

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Arron, some Scotch-brite + elbow grease ... will go a long way in cleaning up that case for a leak-free reassembly ...

9. Thanks Aaronhl thanked for this post
    Likes Aaronhl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you guys are making me feel a little better as it doesnt appear to be any damage to the inside of the case other just maybe needing some cleaning, I think I have narrowed it down to the thrust washer which is easy replacement compared to tossing the case !! Going to clean the inside as you say Chaz and then put a new thrust washer on that