Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old School BMX

Been into it since I was 12. Curious if anyone else is, or has a hidden gem in their basement or garage from the late 70’s through the 80’s. I still own them and still ride them.
    I have a few but this is an 84 GT Pro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B3BCB503-D457-44C2-94C3-5E4EA7142F75.jpg  
    (Apricot)
    Hydrostream Ventura II/Merc
    (sold)
    (Bruiser Scheme)
    Hydrostream Viking/Merc
    (sold)
    (tri color letdown scheme)
    Hydrostream Valero/Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had a lot of bikes. Raleigh choppers to mx bikes which were actually called bmx bikes initially but they had suspension like a dirt bike and plastic faux gas tanks. Raleigh also had a bmx type bike with a twin top tube but hooked forks and hanger type bars but the frame was similar to bmx geometry. The mx bikes were so heavy you couldnt do tricks with them then the true 20” bmx craze launched and it was nuts for many years. Like most of us the bikes i had went throigh so many different part and component iterations. I think my best one was a kuwahara with cw bars, tuff neck, takagi crank, diacomp pro mx brakes and i ran many wheel sets. Z rims, araia, and some tuff 2 mags.

got into mountain biking after. Unfortunately i sold all my bmx stuff in the 80’s but i still have an og specilized stump jumper. I have a couple downhill bikes and a brand new raleigh chopper 3 lol. Biked and motorbiked my entire life. Too many to count really. The bmx stuff i had so many wow
    Hydrostream dreamin

3. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I was in to MTN bikes at one time.

This one was stolen and I built out of parts.

Both have aftermarket shifters, brakes, and a bunch of Ti fasteners.

Probably one of the lightest Trek 800s you will see! Campagnolo hoops, DT Swiss double butted spokes (radial in the front), alloy nipples, Specialized rear hub, Sachs gears, Micro Drive crank set, Grip shifters, Ti screwers, etc. The only thing that is original is the frame. Like said, it was stolen and I built it up from there. Started out with just a frame... Paint job it is mine.

I have to buy a new shock for the 8000 as the stock one seals leaked and can't get parts for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trek1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	439.8 KB 
ID:	504952

Name:	P3140020.jpg 
Size:	436.8 KB 
ID:	504953

5. Likes CDave, hydrochicken liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    Ive had a lot of bikes. Raleigh choppers to mx bikes which were actually called bmx bikes initially but they had suspension like a dirt bike and plastic faux gas tanks. Raleigh also had a bmx type bike with a twin top tube but hooked forks and hanger type bars but the frame was similar to bmx geometry. The mx bikes were so heavy you couldnt do tricks with them then the true 20” bmx craze launched and it was nuts for many years. Like most of us the bikes i had went throigh so many different part and component iterations. I think my best one was a kuwahara with cw bars, tuff neck, takagi crank, diacomp pro mx brakes and i ran many wheel sets. Z rims, araia, and some tuff 2 mags.

got into mountain biking after. Unfortunately i sold all my bmx stuff in the 80’s but i still have an og specilized stump jumper. I have a couple downhill bikes and a brand new raleigh chopper 3 lol. Biked and motorbiked my entire life. Too many to count really. The bmx stuff i had so many wow
    Those suspension bikes back in the day were cool. Typically one person would have one and everyone wanted to ride it. As everyone got older the dream became a reality as everyone moved onto motocross bikes.
    Back in the day I wasn't a fan of Kawahara but that changed over the years. I have an 85 Kawahara Bravo that's all original right down to the tires, tubes and grips. I typically take first in the shows with it in most original category. Even the dust on it is as old as the bike .
    (Apricot)
    (sold)
    (Bruiser Scheme)
    Hydrostream Viking/Merc
    (sold)
    Hydrostream Valero/Merc

7. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    No, I was in to MTN bikes at one time.

This one was stolen and I built out of parts.

Both have aftermarket shifters, brakes, and a bunch of Ti fasteners.

Probably one of the lightest Trek 800s you will see! Campagnolo hoops, DT Swiss double butted spokes (radial in the front), alloy nipples, Specialized rear hub, Sachs gears, Micro Drive crank set, Grip shifters, Ti screwers, etc. The only thing that is original is the frame. Like said, it was stolen and I built it up from there. Started out with just a frame... Paint job it is mine.

I have to buy a new shock for the 8000 as the stock one seals leaked and can't get parts for it.

Name:	trek1.jpg 
Size:	439.8 KB 
ID:	504952

Name:	P3140020.jpg 
Size:	436.8 KB 
ID:	504953
    I have a 92 Trek 930 that looks similar to your 800 just not the high quality parts you have. I actually switched over to road bars (bullhorns) for awhile but then switched back. It's funny how many bikes we all owned that were stolen. I laughed when I read that !
    (Apricot)
    (sold)
    (Bruiser Scheme)
    Hydrostream Viking/Merc
    (sold)
    Hydrostream Valero/Merc

9. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I still have my Trek Carbon K bike. It was the whip when I bought it 25 years ago. Had quad angles, Kuwahara, redline, mongoose, supergoose, GT's as a kid. Greg Hill was my hero--loved bikes as a kid and wish I still had the energy. I bought a 24" cruiser to chase my son around the track with few times and gave up quickly-getting old sucks.

Joe

11. Likes CDave, Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    I still have my Trek Carbon K bike. It was the whip when I bought it 25 years ago. Had quad angles, Kuwahara, redline, mongoose, supergoose, GT's as a kid. Greg Hill was my hero--loved bikes as a kid and wish I still had the energy. I bought a 24" cruiser to chase my son around the track with few times and gave up quickly-getting old sucks.

Joe
    Greg Hill was a hero to many back then. I was also a fan of Tommy Brackens (hence the #3 on my plate). For some reason I liked his inconsistent riding style.
    The Quad Angles were some sweet looking frames. You surely had some nice stuff back then. Sure you had parts all over the place also.
    (Apricot)
    (sold)
    (Bruiser Scheme)
    Hydrostream Viking/Merc
    (sold)
    Hydrostream Valero/Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had lawn service starting when I was 11 and spent pretty much all I made on bike parts. Not much different then today lol....

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had an early 80's Mongoose Californian with Z Rims. Thought I was the ****. Would love to have it today. RR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never had a BMX bike. Few of my friends did, Mongoose and Redline. One person in the neighborhood had one of those Yamaha BMX bikes with full front and rear shocks. Heavy but cool.
    I had Schwinn Stingrays. One small frame, that was my "BMX" bike and one large frame. I still have those Stingrays up in the attic. I also have my last road bike, Raleigh Tri-lite with a Cinelli aero stem and wider than stock Cinelli bars. Gave up riding when I started working in the "oil field". Worked so much I couldn't maintain the level of performance for it to be enjoyable for me to ride. I wanted a track bike but the two Velodromes near me were 2 and 3 hours away.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

16. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We used to jump off of some crazy stuff (13 and fearless). One of my friends parents had a house with a steep roof pitch off the back side and I am guessing it was a 1/12 on the front side. The grade was steep off of the back "very close to the roof pitch" with a 6 feet eve height. You can guess the rest of what we used to do. Landings felt soft but it was harsh enough to break the hub out of my Tuff Wheel Twos. I remember it like it was yesterday, we all lifted my RM 80 onto the roof and his dad pulled in just as I was peaking the gable "not impressed" to see his sons friend riding a motorcycle off of his roof. He handled better then I would as a parent....

Joe

18. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDave View Post
    Never had a BMX bike. Few of my friends did, Mongoose and Redline. One person in the neighborhood had one of those Yamaha BMX bikes with full front and rear shocks. Heavy but cool.
    I had Schwinn Stingrays. One small frame, that was my "BMX" bike and one large frame. I still have those Stingrays up in the attic. I also have my last road bike, Raleigh Tri-lite with a Cinelli aero stem and wider than stock Cinelli bars. Gave up riding when I started working in the "oil field". Worked so much I couldn't maintain the level of performance for it to be enjoyable for me to ride. I wanted a track bike but the two Velodromes near me were 2 and 3 hours away.
    Nor did I. I had to make my own. Heavy Stingray, motorcycle hand grips, got rid of the banana seat for a small single, and knobby tires took the fenders off. I still have it AND and a Lemon Peeler.... You younger guys will have to Google that.

And my old Raleigh is hanging on the wall. I need to get back on them. Oh note the escaped parrot on the back tire. And a rare Hopie Indian doll that is older than I.

AND a rare picture of a Springfield XD Tach that I lost when my boat sank.

Here we go again with the disoriented phone pics.... Why does it show up correct on my computer and ONLY... ONLY on Scream and Fly it is sideways???? Isn't there some way to fix this? FaceBook, Twitter, etc it works fine. I have deleted so many posts because I am so frustrated. I don't have photoshop anymore. I have gotten to where I take pictures and flip my phone upside down, sideways, etc just to resolve this.

Name:	20211115_185510.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	430.9 KB 
ID:	504983

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi View Post
    I have a 92 Trek 930 that looks similar to your 800 just not the high quality parts you have. I actually switched over to road bars (bullhorns) for awhile but then switched back. It's funny how many bikes we all owned that were stolen. I laughed when I read that !
    I had a nice Schwinn road bike that some POC took from under my parent's carport.... He left his POS bike... and the cops took it for evidence!!! So I had NOTHING!

The 800 was a recovery (again stolen and recovered from a POC). I had to totally redo it as it was trashed. Pretty much started off with junk parts and upgraded along the way.

Went from a 6 speed cog to a 7 I had to spread the rear as the 7 was wider. And well, the only thing that is stock is the frame. I rode it for a few years to get it like that. But the frame was too small (18" going to a 20") so I bought the 8000 new. Used to ride trails in Lincoln Parish Park. It was 17 miles of brutal up and down hills. I used to ride it every weekend.

21. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wanted a hutch pro racer one of my best friends had one and the chrome on those was done so well they really stood out from the pack. Another friend of mine had a PK ripper with cw bars and i loved the way that bike handled which is why i got the cw bars. We all quickly realized that chromoly frames were nec because we were bending and cracking the steel ones and thats how i ended up with the kuwahara frame and fork were cromoly and it was available at a reasonable price. In the later years after i was already moving up in size the factory built bikes got really well equipped. A friend bought a hutch trick star which he still has and that was an awesome bike. The GT’s in the later years too were really awesome bikes ready to ride hard.

good times. Lots of broken bones lol
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is Greg??? He is a big time BMX guy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast