Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea sailing at night had to be trip!! But The Atlantic coast there are always Lights ashore to Navagate by. Imagine Sailing 1000 Miles from Florida to Virginia Beach Va in 4 Days 11 hours on a 16ft Hobi Cat!!.

Quote Originally Posted by turboeddie View Post
    hstream1, thanks for the history lesson. that must of been insane sailing thru the night.
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

2. Likes mikesufka, Dave Strong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailer is almost 5K. It is a rich man's sport now.

Sail boats have always intrigued me. There was a Hobi sitting in a barn I used to pass every day for years. Kind of wished I would have stopped to look at it. But around here they are useless unless you live on one of the big oxbow lakes and have a windy day.

And then you better have a paddle! LOL!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boating at night... Nothing to it.

We used to camp out on a full moon just to ski and kneeboard all night long! I had a kill switch for the anchor light (front nav still on) there was no glare so we could tell when someone took a spill. Also has someone with a Q Beam when we needed it. We called it "Night Waking" LOL!

Also fished a lot at night from running lines, to fishing under the lights.

Now with night vision ... GPS, it would be easy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apples and Pamagranets!! Sailing the Atlantic Ocean at Night on a 16ft Hobi with only Two/Three people is far from a cake walk or Sking at Night on a lake. 83 was the last 24 Hr format. After that they started the mandatory Check Points and lay overs. And after 84 is when everything changed. 20" and under the technology was advancing the 16Ft Hobi became a Dinosaur and everything reevolved from there To 20ft and above. Thats when its popularity started to deminish and the radio stations no longer showed interest and the rest is History. In Todays world The Boats take as long to sail one 100 Mile leg of the race as it took them to Travel the whole 1000 Miles back in the early days.

Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    Boating at night... Nothing to it.

We used to camp out on a full moon just to ski and kneeboard all night long! I had a kill switch for the anchor light (front nav still on) there was no glare so we could tell when someone took a spill. Also has someone with a Q Beam when we needed it. We called it "Night Waking" LOL!

Also fished a lot at night from running lines, to fishing under the lights.

Now with night vision ... GPS, it would be easy.

DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by gt150gtron; 05-23-2022 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HStream1 View Post
    A few of the teams are from Virginia Beach, Some Florida, Australia, Netherlands, Outer Banks etc. But All the teams usually Have a road crew that travels from Check Point to Check point with Supplies and the trailer should something happen to the Boat. So those hotel accomidations could easily Double or Tripple per team. And the Boat!!! I Just found a used once 2020 NARCA for sale at a steal of $24,000.00 NO Trailer. https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans-for-sale/p17052.html

Something else thats interesting is The Most Popular Cat in this race (The NARCA f18) is Made right under my Nose about 25 miles South of me in Point Harbor NC. https://www.eastcoastsailboats.com/nacra-f18-evolution/
    Are they making them or just selling, pretty sure all modern Nacra's are made in Thailand

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why dont you reach out to them and inquire? As I have no interest in Catamarands. But th company is based in the Netherlands. Im sure to keep costs down they are most lokely made in Varrious locations to keep costs down. The other interesting thing is MACRA stands for North American Catamaran Racing Association. Sense you sparked my interest no where does Thailand get mentioned in any of the NACRA links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacra_F18_Infusion

Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Are they making them or just selling, pretty sure all modern Nacra's are made in Thailand

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HStream1 View Post
    Why dont you reach out to them and inquire? As I have no interest in Catamarands. But th company is based in the Netherlands. Im sure to keep costs down they are most lokely made in Varrious locations to keep costs down. The other interesting thing is MACRA stands for North American Catamaran Racing Association. Sense you sparked my interest no where does Thailand get mentioned in any of the NACRA links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacra_F18_Infusion

I know because my wife is a Nacra dealer in Singapore, once the dutch bought them they left Socal and built a new range, they have only been built in Thailand and I know the guys doing it.
    All the Morrelli and Melvin boats are the new Dutch ones and built in Thailand, I guess they dont want to broadcast it.
    They do the masts/beams in Holland for some silly reason so stuff gets shipped all over the world.
    The last things built in socal were the old wide deck 20's, popular and half the price on the replacement carbon 20
    Most all silly expensive now, when the C20 was introduced a few years ago I think it was almost USD50k delivered in Cal.
    Last edited by powerabout; 05-24-2022 at 07:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2