Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    next time i pull some i will try to remember. All sucked up in the vaccuum with the rat nests and piles rat **** right now. I aint going in there for nothing

2. Thanks 1954bmw thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't blame you, good mask and gloves and thanks for the reply.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is your nail pic, along with day three demo...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ring neck nail.jpg   IMG_4557.jpg   IMG_4554.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one of the two records this boat set back int he day. Bob Holloway was the owner / driver
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 279711782_7686462831394265_6106130950502331709_n.jpg  

6. Likes Jimboat, tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    last of the deck was removed, complete with a nice rat's nest in the corner. Propped the hull up to drain and started to wash the dirt and Rat S**T out of the boat. Looking pretty good with an initial wash down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4558.JPG   IMG_4560.JPG   IMG_4562.jpg   IMG_4564.jpg  

8. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember those nails being called Anchor Fast nails??? I think Owens used them at one time to build boats?

Quote Originally Posted by 1954bmw View Post
    I know this is a stupid question, but please explain the ring neck nails, when I google it , it comes back as how to trim the nails on my parakeet. Maybe a picture of a removed nail??? Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smyth View Post
    Finally picked up this 15' Delcraft tunnel built by Ron DelRosa in California. this boat set SJ and SJJ records back in the day, driven by Bob Holloway, Greg Horn and Ron Baker. Thrilled as a pig in fresh mud to become the owner of this. Plan to detail the full restoration process here over the next few years. Many Many Thanks to Mark Nelson for parting with this boat. A few pics of the as received condition.

This boat will be restored and rigged as it was when it set the SJ record in 1970. No WAY i am putting two inlines on it as it had when it set the SJJ record in 1971.....
    Tom -
    I thought DelRosa was a stock outboard builder? Did Hollaway commission this hull as a special one-off? A picture of Baker with the boat shows an aft cowling with Evinrude power. Do you plan on replacing the aft cowling? If I remember right, Horn just ran it with snap cover? How did DelRosa form the nose cowl? Soak in water? Steam? Ribbed boat nails. Very labor intensive to install. No wonder air driven staples replaced them. I was always taught that the plywood was held in place using nails because they were "mini clamps" to hold the panel in place until the glue bond line set. Nails had nothing to do with mechanical strength of the hull?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally picked up this 15' Delcraft tunnel built by Ron DelRosa in California. this boat set SJ and SJJ records back in the day, driven by Bob Holloway, Greg Horn and Ron Baker. Thrilled as a pig in fresh mud to become the owner of this. Plan to detail the full restoration process here over the next few years. Many Many Thanks to Mark Nelson for parting with this boat. A few pics of the as received condition.

This boat will be restored and rigged as it was when it set the SJ record in 1970. No WAY i am putting two inlines on it as it had when it set the SJJ record in 1971.....

SJJ Class? I'm looking at the transom photo................twins? You got to be kidding? On that little boat? It's a miracle it didn't swamp when it came to a stop!

12. Likes Tom Smyth liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterZebra View Post
    Tom -
    I thought DelRosa was a stock outboard builder? Did Hollaway commission this hull as a special one-off? A picture of Baker with the boat shows an aft cowling with Evinrude power. Do you plan on replacing the aft cowling? If I remember right, Horn just ran it with snap cover? How did DelRosa form the nose cowl? Soak in water? Steam? Ribbed boat nails. Very labor intensive to install. No wonder air driven staples replaced them. I was always taught that the plywood was held in place using nails because they were "mini clamps" to hold the panel in place until the glue bond line set. Nails had nothing to do with mechanical strength of the hull?
    I am in the process of trying to contact Ron DelRosa who is living out west. How he formed the front canopy is one of my many questions. The boat was nailed every seam about 6 inches apart and stapled as well. At this point I know nothin* about the boats he built except that the first owner of this boat ran several of Ron’s boats in competition very successfully. Hope to be able to provide more info at some time in 5he future.

yes twin inline 6 motors were on it, it barely floated and did set the SJJ record, not even running wide open I am told by the man who drove it. More details including pics with the twin motors are forthcoming I hope.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twins

I am in the process of trying to contact Ron DelRosa who is living out west. How he formed the front canopy is one of my many questions. The boat was nailed every seam about 6 inches apart and stapled as well. At this point I know nothin* about the boats he built except that the first owner of this boat ran several of Ron’s boats in competition very successfully. Hope to be able to provide more info at some time in 5he future.

yes twin inline 6 motors were on it, it barely floated and did set the SJJ record, not even running wide open I am told by the man who drove it. More details including pics with the twin motors are forthcoming I hope.

I think the SJ record you posted is the kilo event held at Devils Lake OR every year. I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of the boat when it was set up for SJJ and the name of the brave soul who drove it.............I was very close to making a decision to buy an OPC hull from DelRosa in 1972 but did decided against it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the SJ record you posted is the kilo event held at Devils Lake OR every year. I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of the boat when it was set up for SJJ and the name of the brave soul who drove it.............I was very close to making a decision to buy an OPC hull from DelRosa in 1972 but did decided against it.
    Greg Horn owned and drove the boat for the SJJ record.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twin Power

Greg Horn owned and drove the boat for the SJJ record.
    What did he use for twin power? A pair of short shaft 1350s?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did he use for twin power? A pair of short shaft 1350s?
    he had a short 1350 and a short 1400 on the boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mote Twins Questions

I'm waiting with anticipation to see photos of the twin set-up and have a pile of questions to ask.........
    Did Horn use drum / cable steering? Steering arm attachment to both motors? Tie rods? Twin Ride Guide (not Super Ride Guide)? Twin batteries?
    Foot throttle twin cable hook up? Electrical? I doubt that there was room enuf for power trim let alone legal for SJJ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting with anticipation to see photos of the twin set-up and have a pile of questions to ask.........
    Did Horn use drum / cable steering? Steering arm attachment to both motors? Tie rods? Twin Ride Guide (not Super Ride Guide)? Twin batteries?
    Foot throttle twin cable hook up? Electrical? I doubt that there was room enuf for power trim let alone legal for SJJ?
    I can tell you wha i know so far. It was cable steering, no power trim as that was not legal back then. Have no pictures yet of this set up but Greg is looking for them to send to me. no other info at all at this time.....

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast