Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Volunteering

Do any of you volunteer for any organizations? If yes, what have you enjoyed?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Do any of you volunteer for any organizations? If yes, what have you enjoyed?
    Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) or your local humane society equivalent will be unbelievably rewarding if you are an animal-person. It is so popular that there is a wait-list where I live to be able to submit an application to be a volunteer dog-walker. I seem to recall you're a P.Eng, my Dad is/was too, how about on the engineer registration/review board ?

Matt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently registered as a retired professional engineer, but I don’t think the professional engineering org is the place for me. A friend of mine used to work for the professional Engineers of Ontario aka PEO and we will be chatting in July. Maybe I will change my mind. I have done some mentoring with student engineers.

Today was my last day volunteering with the Windsor Habitat for Humanity - we are leaving town, moving to our cottage full time. I had fun with Habitat and might sign up in the new town. I already have the T shirt

I was curious if others had any experiences that were fun and rewarding. And a bit curious about peoples views on giving back.

SPCA would be good if they had dogs. I do like dogs. But a side effect of Covid seems to be no unwanted dogs, at least in Ontario. The Windsor humane society was importing unloved dogs from the US for adoptions here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few weeks after my 18th birthday my childhood friend who was the quarterback of our high school team stopped over and said lets go, I joined Gratwick Fire Hose co #6, we had more members and crew response than any other group in our city of 30,000 so we got called out outside our area for man power, it was a old city with LOTS of heavy industry, steel mills, paper mills, chemical plants now all gone but back then the 70's it was booming with lots of fires, old wood buildings burn quick.
    I hear it's all paid now because no one wants to volunteer any more, but back in the 70's It was the norm because our fathers and grand parents participated, a rite of passage.
    We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've been active in service work for over 30 years and it has been rewarding and led to many friends and other opportunities. I highly recommend it. I've also learned to pass the service opportunity to others when my tenure is over. Good luck!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CUDA View Post
    A few weeks after my 18th birthday my childhood friend who was the quarterback of our high school team stopped over and said lets go, I joined Gratwick Fire Hose co #6, we had more members and crew response than any other group in our city of 30,000 so we got called out outside our area for man power, it was a old city with LOTS of heavy industry, steel mills, paper mills, chemical plants now all gone but back then the 70's it was booming with lots of fires, old wood buildings burn quick.
    I hear it's all paid now because no one wants to volunteer any more, but back in the 70's It was the norm because our fathers and grand parents participated, a rite of passage.
    CUDA that's a great idea, I should have suggested that too. I've got several buddies who are volunteer fire-fighters, they love it.
    I can't wait to retire lmao

Matt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually have 3 rescue dogs at a time but the wife said lets keep it to two since she has been in a wheel chair, she is starting to walk again, first time in 18 months and I'm going to get a Jack Russell or Parson Russell terrier puppy from a good breeder, my last Jack died 2 years ago, I love those little dogs great hunters, the last one killed a rat almost weekly then would dig a hole and burry them, I swear he could read my mind he was from the Humane Society, I was told he was a barker and a biter and no one wanted him, I visited him 2 weeks in a row and he did not want to be friends, the third week I said you must be my dog because no one wants you, I turned him into a lover (he did bite our long time UPS guy in shorts the first week) but If I left him in the truck he would bark and bark, the little guy turned into my favorite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0014.jpg   05262013 075.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack russells are great dogs. I've had a few as pets but I've also had a few that we used to hunt wild hogs with. They are real gritty for a little dog. We've also done pet rescues for years. Here's a picture of our dog roomClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0315.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	409.1 KB 
ID:	504317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201113_210901299.jpg 
Size:	403.9 KB 
ID:	504318
    Last edited by JBS; 04-30-2022 at 03:45 AM.

9. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBS View Post
    Jack russells are great dogs. I've had a few as pets but I've also had a few that we used to hunt wild hogs with. They are real gritty for a little dog. We've also done pet rescues for years. Here's a picture of our dog roomClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0315.jpg 
Size:	409.1 KB 
ID:	504317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201113_210901299.jpg 
Size:	403.9 KB 
ID:	504318

WOW! your a GOOD man.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! We have almost let it get out of control. We had to make changes to our lifestyle, primarily not being able to travel as much together. But it's worth it to us. My wife has a grooming business and a kennel that helps offset the expenses.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started as a volunteer firefighter 10 years ago. I have since made it to a career position. But I'm sure your local FD would love any extra help they could get! If you're living at your cottage full time I'm sure it's covered by a volunteer FD.

13. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a skinny 64 year old who is afraid of heights, I am not sure fire fighting is the right path. More power to those who do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a job for everyone, I went through all the training and the only time I was on a ladder was to get in 2nd story windows off a regular ladder, learn to run the pump, lots of things to do without doing what you don't like, just be honest, the medical training is real handy, I hated working on the dead as the first person there... only happen twice buy once was too many times for me
    but you do as trained If need be.
    Very little ladder work. I have found skinny people to be very strong, much has to do with your mind set.