Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey3 View Post
    I have recently bought an Allison xb 2002 with a 15 inch 280 with 260 electronics. Previous owner had the boat for years with very little use, but since he did not do the last rebuild, he could not give me an accurate number of the hours on the powerhead. Compression was pretty even (175 - 180) and the leakdown numbers were 1-2 %. Motor starts instantly and runs strong. I did pull the exhaust chest and everything looks good, but the rings are showing very little gold. I have attached a pic. My question is: Can I run this for the summer as a lake boat, (8,000 rpms or less) or should I not risk the rings getting sharp and ruining the Nic coating? Since this is my first nic. motor I would appreciate someone else's opinion. Thank you in advance.
    Okay, decided to pull the motor apart, better to be safe than sorry. So even with a good leakdown and compression this thing was about to fly apart. # 6 piston has damage from detonation, plus it look like the previous owner ran it a good while like this. Some how the nic looks good. Got my pistons today and pins should be here soon. All sleeves are aluminum. I feel fortunate that this motor did not destroy itself. Thanks to the good advice from this forum, you all saved me a motor. I will update this again in a few weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2747.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	416.5 KB 
ID:	503968
    Last edited by mickey3; 04-20-2022 at 03:49 PM.

2. Likes CI STV, 25two.stroke liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the block it looks like theres indents from a gasket and indents from an oring. Curious, was there oring heads on that motor or gasket heads?

It looks a little lean in my opinion. And...it may be an optical illusion, but it looks like there is a LOAD of piston to wall clearance on that cylinder? Hopefully thats just the pic though.

4. Likes Beak Boater liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    On the block it looks like theres indents from a gasket and indents from an oring. Curious, was there oring heads on that motor or gasket heads?

It looks a little lean in my opinion. And...it may be an optical illusion, but it looks like there is a LOAD of piston to wall clearance on that cylinder? Hopefully thats just the pic though.
    The motor had head gaskets, I am sure the heads have been milled, chances are it was also ran with oring heads too. I will run a set of stock head with orings, as this is just a lake motor. Spoke to the previous owner and showed him the pics of # 6, he did not know about the damage and I believe him, as he is a stand up guy and was very honest about the history of the boat and the engine, this stuff just happens when you buy something used and you do not know the full history. He did tell me that before the sold it to me that the engine would accelerate and then when they got back in the throttle it would lay down. They sent the injectors for cleaning and the ECU to Brucato. The ECU checked good, but after retesting it did the same thing. So they sent the ecu back to Brucato and it they replaced it as it showed an intermittent problem. I bet it was run lean during the box trouble, plus they ran their oli at a higher ratio than I think is good.
    I will measure bores and verify clearances. I am planning on a re nic on this block. Glad I have another boat as I bet it will take at least two months to get the block back from Custom Chrome. I will update this post when I know more. Thank you for the good advice

6. Likes 25two.stroke liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey3 View Post
    The motor had head gaskets, I am sure the heads have been milled, chances are it was also ran with oring heads too. I will run a set of stock head with orings, as this is just a lake motor. Spoke to the previous owner and showed him the pics of # 6, he did not know about the damage and I believe him, as he is a stand up guy and was very honest about the history of the boat and the engine, this stuff just happens when you buy something used and you do not know the full history. He did tell me that before the sold it to me that the engine would accelerate and then when they got back in the throttle it would lay down. They sent the injectors for cleaning and the ECU to Brucato. The ECU checked good, but after retesting it did the same thing. So they sent the ecu back to Brucato and it they replaced it as it showed an intermittent problem. I bet it was run lean during the box trouble, plus they ran their oli at a higher ratio than I think is good.
    I will measure bores and verify clearances. I am planning on a re nic on this block. Glad I have another boat as I bet it will take at least two months to get the block back from Custom Chrome. I will update this post when I know more. Thank you for the good advice
    Who is custom chrome?

8. Likes stoker2001 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inquiring minds have got to know!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    Who is custom chrome?
    Sorry for the brain fade: US Chrome.
    My cousin works for Custom Chrome, they sell Harley Parts.

11. Likes 25two.stroke, stoker2001 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2