Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tritoon engine setup

I have a 2016 Veranda 25ft tritoon with a 2016 Yamaha 250 sho outboard. Currently with a clean hull the boat will see 45-47 with a 17 pitch power tech 3 blade prop at 5800 rpm and about 48-49 with a 19 pitch saltwater series 2 prop spinning at 5500 rpm.

I plan on sending my ecu to nizpro marine to get it tuned to 332hp. My main question is if I can raise my engine on the transom to get more speed with the 19 pitch prop and the 332hp tune.
    I would like to hit 55 mph, so on top of the tune can i raise the engine height or change the prop?

Thanks for the help

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve not set up a tritoon yet but I sure will be one of these days. Can’t see the process differing much with regards to set up. Raise the motor as high as you can while watching water pressure and pitch up the prop until you slow down or can no longer live with the weaker hole shot a taller prop brings. I don’t know what props work best on those. Hope something here helps you a bit
    Hydrostream dreamin

3. Likes VSlavov liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nizpro raised the rev limiter with their tune, so chances are your 19" prop will work, you'll just be spinning it faster. Yes you can raise the motor, but you may run the risk of not being able to get on plane with people in it if the motor is too high.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt j View Post
    Nizpro raised the rev limiter with their tune, so chances are your 19" prop will work, you'll just be spinning it faster. Yes you can raise the motor, but you may run the risk of not being able to get on plane with people in it if the motor is too high.
    I plan on raising the engine only 1.5 inches/ 2 holes on the transom, do you think that amount would make too big of a difference?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea. I'd run your boat at 40 mph and look back there and see where the cavitation plate is before I'd do anything. One of my customers owns a large pontoon dealership in TN. He told me on the 250 SHOs if they removed the cowlings in summer time they'd gain 500 rpms WOT.......not sure if the cowlings are too restrictive or what. I never tried it on mine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt j View Post
    No idea. I'd run your boat at 40 mph and look back there and see where the cavitation plate is before I'd do anything. One of my customers owns a large pontoon dealership in TN. He told me on the 250 SHOs if they removed the cowlings in summer time they'd gain 500 rpms WOT.......not sure if the cowlings are too restrictive or what. I never tried it on mine.
    Sweet, where should the cavitation plate be in reference to the water at 40 mph. Gliding on top of the water?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, just on top of the water. I'd do the tune and run it with existing 19" prop and existing height and see what your numbers are and where the cavitation plate is.

9. Likes VSlavov, Asstracker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wasn't sure what gains I would see with motor height increase but common sense told me drag is drag and set back will get me clean water along with the C.G. moved back. We installed a 17" Porta bracket and sportmaster on my 300R (replaced the 5.44 H.D. case) and I run the height up until the tach outruns the g.p.s.. It varies just how high I run it depending on the load but it gained 5.5 mph from my previous best. I run a 20 pitch Enertia Eco 16" dia. that FJ propeller (love rubbed) with a 1.75 gear and have seen a best of 60.1 mph. I have a friend with a 450 on his (same toon) and he has seen a best of 67. I think he could do better with set back on his and a little more attention to details.

We did fill in the bottom side of the deck so that it is as smooth as "reasonably possible" and built the transom support up on the center toon along with welding a 1/2 alum plate to the exterior of the center log.

Its funny, not too many people will pull up to me in my other boats and want to play but every toon out there wants to race LOL-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC 1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	398.6 KB 
ID:	503197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	430.9 KB 
ID:	503198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC 4.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	503199

Joe

11. Likes VSlavov liked this post