Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    Charlie,

The two strokes that remain in my stable are considered antiques (show ponies) to me at this point.

We have been collecting vintage snowmobiles and motocross bikes for the past five or six years. Those are the only two strokes that I will be using personally at this point in the game besides the 50 yammie on my barrel back Feather craft tin boat.
    When you start a new paragraph, you are starting a new topic. Since we were talking about antique's vs. new fangled Toyota's on a stick, your readers are lead to believe the first sentence is referring to outboard motors. You go on to mention a two stroke in your second paragraph. Hard to blame my comprehension ... on your bounce around, nonspecific writing style ..

As far as bikes. I told the parts man at our local powersports store what I wanted (a tube of Hondabond) . The next guy over told a mother the new sump pan that her son cracked while changing his oil was close to $400.00 for a new one. I handed the money to Deb and said here take care of this. It wouldn't have been right to tell the lady I could have fixed the pan for less than $50.00 ... so I walked away ..
    Brandon, maybe 10 at the time and I stopped at a blue Mini-trail 50 .. I said son I had one of these when I was your age. (I know the salesman was licking his chops) Deb came up and said .. yes, and now we park in the blue spots. So much for me buying a bike that day .. or ever since.
    However, the photo of the yellow Maico 400 radial that was on the dyno used in the AMI add in the back of all the moto-mags from the early 1970's thru the mid 1980's was mine ..
    I racked up plenty of frequent-flyer miles during that era .. and I'm glad that there are those willing to preserve that place in time.

Only seen snow once. But Mickey Rupp did take me for a tour of his snow-mobubbles .. and a model of every Gorman-Rupp pump .. go-cart .. mini-bike they ever built. Didn't ride any of them, but I am proud of the parts we worked on for his P-51 Mustang though.

Ice-tea .. No doubt the springs up your way are beautiful .. My folks took me to Silver Springs, Wiki-Wachi .. all the tourist traps, well before Disney was even in Florida. So I'm familiar with that area. I also know that "the rest" of the "fresh" water is ice-tea.
    We have places where you can throw a quarter in the water and read the date on it. But like up that way .. the Army corp. and Fla water mgmt .. have made ice tea for us as well.
    The intercoastal goes from the Keys to Maine .. maybe a couple more than 7 places to eat along that route ..
    As far as the invite goes .. I do thank you for that. And for the really nice shirt you sent me .. both are awesome.
    As far as calling me out .. the way I became a multi time champion in the car world , was by getting my azz kicked every way possible. So no cherry to be had there. But it does have me thinking. You can run the numbers on the six 3.0L powerheads I own .. 4 are 225's and the other two are 250's .. It's only fair that I run against 3.4L mini-chops on 21'-26' boats. Running against 4.6L boats is like your lookin for a bird on the ground ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Subject; Vintage bikes...-You would be amazed that a 1985 ATC 200 just brought 15K at the Daytona vintage auction last weekend, guy turned 12K down on a Maico 490, 82' YZ 490 brought 7600, 1975 XR 75 brought 6K who would have thought....
    Subject; Vintage sleds...-77' yamaha SRX 15K to 18K, Yamaha SSR 25K, Yamaha V-Max 86' or 87' 7K to 10K for a perfect one and they are just cool to have around.

Vintage sleds continued;...-Cool stuff to have around and the vintage rides are becoming very popular John Deere was the brand of honor this year-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqfuBBX5wUA

Subject; Boating....
    How about running against a 23 ft single 4.6 and you get twins on your 24? Seems like you should stomp that porkchop. I also have my LCB getting to where its respectable (we will all run a 30 mile sprint race with fuel from the local marina). Kory's little STV is plenty fast with a 3.4 for what I want to see him doing in that size boat. The bigger boats are down right impressive with twin porkies and nothing with two strokes (other then David having 4 280s on his 36 skater) will run with them for the 40 mile lake sprints we make on a regular basis.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Going to an auction and get in a bidding war is ... so not my style.
    I'd rather pluck two of three dead ones out of various bone yards .. and "build one good one"...
    And when you buy one that shines like a brand new penny on the outside .. do you really know what they look like on the inside .. ???

John Deere , Ohh yes .. Growing up in the tomatoe fields of S. Dade I remember them. They are like Mercury Where everyone else would use a 1.000" or a 1.250" shaft, the Deere would use a 1.032" or a 1.187" shaft and bearing assembly ..
    Charge twice too much for the bearing and the shaft was six months out.
    Farm workers drive them until the bearing seizes up and the shaft burns a trench half way thru. The farmer wants it running by Monday morning.
    Chaz = learned to weld them up with 7018 , cut them back to size on an old belt driven lathe and push em straight on a huge azz press .. The guy I worked for doing that went on to find a permanent home at DEI.

I would hope you would exercise some restraint when dealing with Kory. Back in the day we had to start out very small and work our way up slowly. Most stuff had to be hand built. Today we can go out and scroll a check .. and strap em in a missile, no matter what the venue. I know I'm kinda guilty of that myself.

I told ya I aint skeerd to race anyone .. but I wonder why you always say .. I got a guy.
    As far as the 23' single, I started even with Adam, had nothin for him in the turns or down the straights .. 4:30 - 5:30

Now that I think about it .. after I passed you ..

I did turn around and offer you a tow back to the ramp ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subject; Vintage bikes...-You would be amazed that a 1985 ATC 200 just brought 15K at the Daytona vintage auction last weekend, guy turned 12K down on a Maico 490, 82' YZ 490 brought 7600, 1975 XR 75 brought 6K who would have thought....
    I wonder how much my 250SX will bring!!! I also have a well used, but running 250 Big Red!

Sounds like a need to get off my ass and replace the fuel hoses, etc on my Howard and come play!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how much my 250SX will bring!!! I also have a well used, but running 250 Big Red!

Sounds like a need to get off my ass and replace the fuel hoses, etc on my Howard and come play!

And I did toy with the idea of replacing the 245s with a 450R.... But my soul won't let me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I'd rather pluck two of three dead ones out of various bone yards .. and "build one good one"...
    And when you buy one that shines like a brand new penny on the outside .. do you really know what they look like on the inside .. ???

John Deere , Ohh yes .. Growing up in the tomatoe fields of S. Dade I remember them. They are like Mercury Where everyone else would use a 1.000" or a 1.250" shaft, the Deere would use a 1.032" or a 1.187" shaft and bearing assembly ..
    Farm workers drive them until the bearing seizes up and the shaft burns a trench half way thru. The farmer wants it running by Monday morning.
    Chaz = learned to weld them up with 7018 , cut them back to size on an old belt driven lathe and push em straight on a huge azz press .. The guy I worked for doing that went on to find a permanent home at DEI.

I would hope you would exercise some restraint when dealing with Kory. Back in the day we had to start out very small and work our way up slowly. Most stuff had to be hand built. Today we can go out and scroll a check .. and strap em in a missile, no matter what the venue. I know I'm kinda guilty of that myself.

I told ya I aint skeerd to race anyone .. but I wonder why you always say .. I got a guy.
    As far as the 23' single, I started even with Adam, had nothin for him in the turns or down the straights .. 4:30 - 5:30

Bikes:-I don't have the time or desire to rebuild and make perfect. When you buy one done, 99% of the time you are further ahead and its also in a "ready to sell" condition. As fast as this market continues to climb its a fun hobby. Looking for a Mert Lawwill street tracker (very few built) and would love to have one.

Boating;...Out of fuel that day but another reason that I have gone to all four stroke stuff. Too many repaired powerheads, too much fuel and oil--Scott is still rigging XS stuff on his current race project but he will have new tech on his personal boat.

Boating;....Kory isn't getting a big wheel and has a 6400 limiter but I know exactly what you are saying. If something happens to him my life will be over and I am having a blast doing all of the stuff we do together.

Boating;....There is a 23 Argo- Single porky, 23 Eliminator-single Porky, several 21 Liberators-single Porkies and my LCB with a single Porky that would be a good comparison to your 24 with twin two strokes. Bringing out anything with twin Porkies is not going to be even close. You let us know when you are ready to dance for a 30 mile river run on marina fuel and I will buy dinner when we are done.

Joe

7. Likes rhh65, stoker2001 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post

If you restore them properly and make them perfect, they will sell for crazy money "if exposed to the right group". There are a lot 50 year old guys who want to "re-live" some of their past-vintage MX and ORVs are an incredible market. A very clean first generation Honda (1976) Odyssey recently sold for 23K. Honda Mini trails especially the 86' chrome models have doubled in the last two years.

Joe

9. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

we can work our way up slowly with an STV with a mercury 150 fourstroke with a 1.62 gearcase

then use your captain america skills to increase the compression by welding up some extra squish areas
    than ask around for some custom cam profile grinding, since there is only one instead of four that would save a bundle
    there you go! a Mercury economy recession engine since they will not be able to move those Wall street V12 engines unless as boat anchors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mercury_150_head.jpg  
    Last edited by PanRonnie; 03-10-2022 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad or good... The SX has a 12:1 piston, ported head, Supertrap pipe, K&N... etc. Also replaced the headlight with a dual one from a 350X. I need to pull it apart and go back with a stock piston.

The 250 BigRed was farm vehicle in the rice field and turned into a mud hog. Mods: has grease zerks on all three corner bearings, plus even the rear swing arm. Google "Marengo Swamp Ride". It has made several passes through it. I made it through the "suicide hole" TWICE!!!

Boy did this thread get cross-ways!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Everything : I buy stuff because I want it. To keep it, not flip it for a quick buck.
    You can give "all the money" for something (a bike) and have it need shift forks, the dogs on the gears be rounded off .. have 70 wt oil in it to quiet the "knock". They might keep going up and up .. but I've been wasting oxygen long enough to know, the music quits playing eventually, and you better already have a seat .. or do like me, and just enjoy what ya bought.

Way down upon the Suwannee River : .. I think the professor brought me 3 blocks shortly there-after .. Is that what we call a rod thru the side now .. ran out of gas ..

Volusia Gazette : I spoke with the professor not long ago. I asked him if JP talked him into a pair of porkchops yet .. he laughed and said, "I just found two really nice 300xs motors, so I bought them" .............. my man

Kids : I pray for all of ours, every day .. Short and sweet, take me .. leave them alone ... please.

I noticed you skipped over the fact that my motors are 225's .. I'd be a good race for a boat with two 3.4L middle porkers. they'd still have 800cc on me (get on a 750, have someone stand still, and you ride off as fast as you can. see the difference displacement makes).
    Who you is .. JP da boss, Big Chief .. ???? Pppfffttttttt ..

Forkin : this thread started out as "bogus information" hard to go more slideways than that. I do gotta give the OP credit. He did man-up and admit he was wrong. The stuff that I wrote and received crickets as a response .. I figgert, no need in rubbin it in .. they know that I know ..

Ronnie : I recon that would be the "mini chop"
    The only recession I see is the intake valves have sunk a good 3 mm .. junk seats and valves. they look small too ..
    Pretty bad when you have to use a third of available lift, just to get the valve head out of the port .. pitiful.

The chamber is a dead nuts copy of a gen-V big block Chevy. If anything, believe it or not, they make more power by "softening the chamber" angling the squish pad down towards the center at a 4*-5* degree taper.
    To build squeeze, you have to do it in the piston crown, or some creative decking ..
    Cam grinders, my main guy retired .. but I still have some hooks in that world. All it takes is a core ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Way down upon the Suwannee River : .. I think the professor brought me 3 blocks shortly there-after .. Is that what we call a rod thru the side now .. ran out of gas ..

Boating;....We windowed the one when we were at Bass World on the St. Johns with you. It was the same trip you and little Charlie had words that turned into shouts. The video is on the Suwanee when we ran out of fuel headed back to fanning springs.

Volusia Gazette : I spoke with the professor not long ago. I asked him if JP talked him into a pair of porkchops yet .. he laughed and said, "I just found two really nice 300xs motors, so I bought them" .............. my man

Boating;....Like I said, those XS motors are for his race boat project. He also has a set of 400 ROS "Shrimp Heads" for his personal boat --talking about selling it but its still here and never a hold drilled yet.

I noticed you skipped over the fact that my motors are 225's .. I'd be a good race for a boat with two 3.4L middle porkers. they'd still have 800cc on me (get on a 750, have someone stand still, and you ride off as fast as you can. see the difference displacement makes)

I know you will have the big slugs 3.6L set up and running on your witches brew for fuel.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPEROG do you think the dwarf chop is better "overall" than the 225X was?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    JPEROG do you think the dwarf chop is better "overall" than the 225X was?
    Not sure, I had a 225X on a pro comp for a while and loved it. The 3.4L is just so quiet and smooth but I would say similar acceleration (guess I am getting old).

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welp, I knew ya didn't bust all three of em in the same weekend. You would remember better than me on which happened where .. I remember runnin out of gas when I was a kid .. always had a pretty young lady with me, not my hommie ..

Charlie, Kim, Debbie, and I hade lunch together a few weeks ago. A good time was had by one and all ...

The professor is a busy guy .... I can relate. As he said : "If I don't call you back on this, it's because I got swallowed up in the vortex of my life". Truer words were never spoken ...

3.6L ... Ohh yea, I forgot about those ..

Did you know, 330 lbs/hr of nitrous is worth 100 HP ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure, I had a 225X on a pro comp for a while and loved it. The 3.4L is just so quiet and smooth but I would say similar acceleration (guess I am getting old).

Joe
    Any updates on how this setup is working for you? I need to repower my Virage, I like this platform
    1989 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
    1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast