Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those old 354 CI Chizzlers were the first production engines to make 1 HP/CI. A year (few months) later the 283 CI Chevrolet did the same thing.

You have to get into the early 60's (pre-HP war era) to find something that made 1.2 HP / CI .. like the ACME 360 ... race engine

Brad .. it's nice to see you no longer pointing a finger at others for something you did. Shame really .. i was looking forward to the next ten pages of wokeness ..

Since no of the "fore-poke" experts can tell me why they would put the new "4.6L clubfoot" on a 3.4L .. I'll just say, sumptin better has already been done. Just please don't tell anyone .. I have a reputation to uphold ..

2. Likes MrG liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I’m not a hater but the facts don’t lie seems the old Rude was the cleanest running powerhouse still to date !! I just don’t grasp this one numbers game about the 600 Hp Mercury its 70k so it and none of the 4strokes will last I’ve seen opties with 3200 hrs and no corrosion from salt water ,the Yamahas exhaust adaptors junk after 6 years same for Varados….. now back to the 70k 600 Hp with internal exhaust manifold I’d rather have 300 opti or Rudes hopped up by Dave Bush or Joe just seems inovation won’t out last on simple tech esp in salt water power to wt bring back a V8 Evinrude with a 4 inch bore and digital direct injection It’s all Fairy Dust now … seems it’s just going backwards nobody rembers Homlite outboards same poop new package and wrapper !!!! Just make a dam good 2 stk monster and use XD 100 Don’t think Mercury doesn’t have everything Evinrude was Doing in Formula 1 cuz they bought the Facility that was Testing it so they can use there Merc single ram mid sporty 2 speed case Or 7marine lower rude injection plasma spark .. it’s all lost Fary Dust now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it was bolted up this week, remove the spacer plate and remove the long studs and replace them with the short studs from mercury. It bolts right up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziemer View Post
    Yeah, I think that's an old article you found.

However, been saying it for a little while... The mids (CMS Style) are identical between the 3.4 and 4.6 V8's, therefore a sporty from a 300R will bolt right up to the V6. I think JPEROG was doing one on his son's STV.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmatak9 View Post
    Yes, it was bolted up this week, remove the spacer plate and remove the long studs and replace them with the short studs from mercury. It bolts right up.
    So that tells me that Merc may just be saying, why take up production cycles for "one engine at a time" buyers of a V6 3.4 Sporty with warranty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With a v-8 lower on a v-6 it should be bullet proof even if it's a few mph slower.
    Last edited by XstreamVking; 02-26-2022 at 11:39 AM.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

7. Likes Greg G, Speed Jr. liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do 300r cms wingplates work on the 3.4 v6 motors for those of us with smaller twin engine cats?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake rat Skater View Post
    Do 300r cms wingplates work on the 3.4 v6 motors for those of us with smaller twin engine cats?
    Good question. Maybe another skunk works discovery project.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You guys got my point about the lower unit bass~ackwards . Use an 8 3/4" Chizzler rear end .. same as the porkchop lower.

Greg G , honestly , as easy as it to do .. you could have done a few thousand of them yourself .. as long as you been beggin ..

Wingplates .. whut , you guys ain't gotz a bandsaw ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
    Interesting that Mercury released a new V6 475 pound four-stroke 3.4L engine line up. With horsepower of 175, 200 and 225. Lighter than the 3L two stroke and the 4-cylinder Verado. I do not see a version with a Sportmaster as it seems to be for the fishing/pontoon boat crowd. Maybe with time Mercury Racing might get in the mix with a Sportmaster lower unit and maybe a little more power. Another home run for Mercury. I am sure the haters will jump on this.
    I found it on Merc's website. IF my 200EFI ever blows up on my XTB 21... That might make for a cool replacement.

Looking at the specs.. Damn..... 85 amp charge a full throttle...

The offshore motor is only 200hp but is a bit heavier.. I wonder what the difference is?

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/

Anyway, it is what it is. At least Merc has taken the lead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake rat Skater View Post
    I would think so. The CMS mids are all identical. At least that's how it appears on the Mercury parts diagrams. Same with 20"/25"/30"...all the same mid with 5" or 10" spacer. Shift shaft changes, water pump adapter tube, and different drive shaft. Easy swap. The bigger V8's don't have the option for the smaller diameter gearcase 4.8", whereas the V6 does. Huge difference in size between the 5.44 case and the 4.8 case. Also much bigger than a Gen 2 torquemaster.
    2006 Spectre 24' SCS
    2020 Mercury 300 ProXS

2001 Allison XB2003
    2006 Mercury 250XS

1988 22' Velocity (sold)

1995 Allison Grand Sport (sold)
    1998 Mercury Stock 2.5-260 SS

1990 Velocity 30' - 502's (sold)

Go Daddy Go! Racing

13. Likes Greg G liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H2OPERF View Post
    You really have to laugh at what it has taken to make a 4 stroke do what the the most simplistic 2L two stroke could do 25years ago...
    I would not say that!
    There were some tinkerers doing amazing things when a lot grandmothers in your country were building sherman tanks and B17 bombers
    https://www.streetmusclemag.com/feat...ne-ever-built/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails offenhauser_four_stroke.png  

15. Likes CUDA liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea, those incredibly reliable 300+ hp engines that would run for thousands of hours with very low maint. were all over the outboard market 25 years ago.... right...

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPERF View Post
    You really have to laugh at what it has taken to make a 4 stroke do what the the most simplistic 2L two stroke could do 25years ago...
    STV Pro Comp Ski| 200 Merc

17. Likes Speed Jr. liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PanRonnie View Post
    I would not say that!
    There were some tinkerers doing amazing things when a lot grandmothers in your country were building sherman tanks and B17 bombers
    https://www.streetmusclemag.com/feat...ne-ever-built/
    We can never take away the history of the Miller/Drake/Offy racing engines.
    On the salt, they could run them up to 60 - 80 lbs of boost on alky because there was no head gasket to blow. Cutting and lapping a valve job took a few special tools as did honing a blind cylinder that went all the way to the combustion chamber, much like the mercury L-3 , L-4 block outboards.
    Dick Greene and Bruce Alfie were the only two guys here in town that could pour and line bore those old Offy and Duesenberg lead babbitt blocks. I haven't seen Bruce since Dick passed away some fifteen years ago. Both were true craftsmen.

Nothing like the sights and sounds of a pack of T/Q midgets backing into the corner with just a blip of the throttle. The Offy's are worth way too much money to race anymore. They have all taken turns at being the go-to engine of choice .. including Evinrude.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2016/08/midget-engines/

B-17's huh ...

19. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Burns View Post
    yea, those incredibly reliable 300+ hp engines that would run for thousands of hours with very low maint. were all over the outboard market 25 years ago.... right...
    The pic i was taking about was the 200hp tunnel boat version with a midsection gear box and a hugely complicated 4 stroke... Don't think that's gonna run thousands of hours

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both sides have valid points. The older motor crowd can't possibly be called liars for saying that an "old 2.5" 400 lb motor could easily make 250 to 300hp in stock form which they could. The new tech crowd can't possibly be called liars for saying that the new 3.4 V6 running crap 89 gas would be a great consumer motor making 250ish hp with a Sporty and a warranty.

I don't have the personal skills to keep the 2.5 stuff going and there are no shops near me that can do it.

I'm not happy about that but shame on me for not understanding how to properly wrench the older stuff. I'm jealous and pissed (no disrespect) at Chaz for what he can do to be candid. I'm also pissed that guys who want a single V6 like me have no options by Mercury. The V8 superchop is 7" taller than a 300XS and heavy at 561lbs.

Call me names but I would like to pay full price to get a V6 mini chop with warranty. Yep no comparison to the old stuff, but you can't buy the old stuff "new".

22. Likes 22R, David - WI liked this post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast