Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little more out of my motor

I have a Mariner 175hp on the back of a 183 champion, its freshly rebuilt.
    I read articles about how everyone is getting more out of their motor what are the first few things you all do when getting a little more out of your motors.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a 2.4 or 2.5, what year? Carb or injected? What happened that it needed rebuilding?

The first thing most of us do is to replace the stock steel reads with fiberglass ones. Chris Carson marine has some excellent reads for that engine. The idle will be a little smoother and the mid range probably a little better but the most important thing is that if it breaks, you are not sucking a piece of steel through your motor.

The next thing that many people do use to shave their heads a little bit to increase the compression. This also provides better mid range. Not really much on top but stronger in the mid. The negative is that you always have to run high octane fuel. Every single time.

Next is that we remove the two black boxes that are on top of the motor. They are not needed and can actually hurt your motor. One is for the timing advance and the other is an idle stabilizer. Both of them belong in the trash

Another thing is to know exactly dead on balls what your timing is. With higher octane, you can run out to about 23° of timing. That can make a difference on mid range and top in.

You can check and see what size your carburetors are. You might pick up a little more top end by going to a bigger set of carburetors.

What is your objective? Faster? What rpm are you turning now and what kind of speed? Generally, you gain a lot more return on your investment by playing with set up and then you do with trying to increase horsepower.

Good luck!
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to rebuild the motor because it lost a need bearing in one of the rod cages and the bearing made its way into the cylinder. I sent the block In and had it bored .40 over with Wisco piston. I still run the EFI but it was sent in and tested to make sure all was in good working order. It has a set of Boysee dual stage carbon fiber reeds. It's mounted on a 6" Jack plate and its set 3" below pad. Any lower and the water pressure will jump around when I make a turn.
    I run it up to 5600 RPM I am sure I can run it up more even at that RPM IT'S not on the longer. So it sounds like I need to remove the black boxes and set the timing.
    I am running a 4 blade 23p Fury for some reason that prop lift the ass of the boat well and it runs fully loaded 2 people and gear and live wells around 55 mph.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you raise your motor any? Have you tried a higher mounting height?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes i can, I have been looking for a hydrolic jack plate. I need to also get the low water pick up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Champions like to run about where you got it. A nosecone would probably just slow you down. Try a Tempest prop should be able to see somewhere around 60mph with a good running engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3" below seems buried to me but maybe I'm wrong. Can you run your manual plate up any higher? Is the motor mounted in the highest hole?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you check out champion setup on BBC you will see that's about what everybody runs them at. It will also tell you what prop and speed they are getting. These boats are heavier bass boats with lots of vee. If you run it any higher than 2" you will loose most of your ability to carry the bow and probably be on the verge of losing water pressure.
    I currently own a champ 202 with a 225 efi. (Had a 2.5 200 on it) and I also had a 16' champ with supermag 150 that i took off for my ltv, then sold with a 110 omc.
    I'm not sure how you guys are measuring prop to pad, but I measure center of prop shaft at 0 trim angle with a straight edge off of the bottom of boat.
    In the picture of the 200 trimmed up on the 202 it throws a nice rooster tail at 3" under pad.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220206-163853_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	500819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220206-163734_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	500820Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220206-163915_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	500822
    Last edited by OnPad; 02-06-2022 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a typo on the prop its a 24 4 fury it pushed the boat faster than my tempest 25p THE 24 4 FURY SEAMS to lift the the hole boat up and not just the front. Just to be clear on measuring to pad.
    I leavealed the boat and made sure the motor was at 90 degrees measured from senter of prop shaft and than the bottom of the boat. Is that correct.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how I measure prop to pad distance. And don't really consider 3" down buried. The bottom water pickup hole is 3 1/2" above prop shaft the upper hole is 6 1/2" above. Even at your current setup you probably should have a couple upper holes plugged.
    I've never run a fury 4 so I can't comment on that. I do have a 26p Fury 3 that I tried on the 202 and didn't like it as much as a 25p Tempest, that was with a 225efi. With that combo I'm just bumping 70mph. With a carb 2.5/200 it would run in the low 60's. My 16' would run mid 60's with a 150 supermag running a 25p laser. There is a fellow on this site that was claiming good speeds with a trophy on my same 202/225efi.
    Yes you should remove your black boxes and set timing to 23 or 24, or 25 if your brave.
    I really don't see a gain with a hydraulic plate or lwp nosecone on that boat.
    Champion arguably made the best rough water bass boat of all time.
    Are you running a 2.4 or 2.5?
    55mph might be all it wants to do with full livewell and a buddy. If you want to go faster drain you livewells kick your buddy to the curb and run a half tank of fuel.

11. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a 2.5 Mariner Magnum 175 hp I had all the cylinders bored .40 over with Wisco high compression piston.
    It gets out of the hole and on pad quickly and I probably only give it half throttle. That Fury 4 lift the entire boat out of the water and is rock solid stable takes rough even bettet with it. Funny you say champions were the best writing boat in rough water, just last year I was fishing a tournament and the waves were 3 to 4 footers all the brand new boats were taking off and turning around well they all ended up following me back to weigh in.